This needs attention....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, as I seem to be saying on a daily basis... Amongst all this negativity, let's do some constructive things.

I'm going to keep releasing add-ons until the date this forum is switched off (I don't think it will get to that).

After the unfortunate loss of some great style resources, maybe we can focus on putting some new ones out there...

What we need is another XF site for plugin/style sales and deployments where people really care.

Yes, this would be urgently needed! I can support with free webspace, domain and bandwidth, if needed.

It also would solve the problem that all the valuable resources here are lost if XF decides to shut down this server without warning. And there is a very high risk that this may happen IMHO.

Yes, this would be urgently needed! I can support with free webspace, domain and bandwidth, if needed.

It also would solve the problem that all the valuable resources here are lost if XF decides to shut down this server without warning. And there is a very high risk that this may happen IMHO.

If only some type of Resource Manager was available to help organize those projects....

After the unfortunate loss of some great style resources, maybe we can focus on putting some new ones out there...

Agree.

Problem is, once they are released... someone copies, posts another resource blatantly ripping them. Then claims "shared common useage", nothing is done, and it pisses off many who spent hours doing something for the community. What reason would anyone have to release anything now? That is what irritates me, as the end user. I don't need many [or use] of the resources I have purchased. I purchased to support the developer. Developers (both releasing free and paid) are not going to continue to create new things if in the end pirates are going to be able to post copies of their hard work, and give it away with their name attached to it. *Edit* especially here on xenforo.com in the Resource Manager.

Then, to beat it all, the ripper gets to play the victim EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Just for the record, I think a third party Resource Manager type site for XenForo add-ons and styles is an awful idea. It doesn't help to solve anything. It's just another system where add-on developers like myself have to maintain support and updates on, another place to make releases, etc.

It provides no benefit whatsoever and in fact just serves as potentially yet another place where your hard work is going to be redistributed and plagerised without your permission.

There isn't a big issue here.

Our main problem is sites like ... well you know the one.

You know someone on ... you know ... is selling my Notifications add-on for $7.50? It's also now been released for free. Not excusing the situation with Adam at all, but in the grand scheme of things we have bigger fish to fry. And actually Slavik has been a great supporter of that battle so far.

In actual fact, the very person that is selling my Notifications add-on, that I have for sale, that I worked hard on and I released once had an account here and as soon as we had all the evidence he was banned.

And although allegedly 3 styles have been unlawfully released by one person, that really doesn't happen a lot here. I think making statements that suggest that piracy on this very site is prevalent is a little bit hasty. I think removing all of your hard and appreciated work over this one (well, 3) incident is just silly.

I'm not explaining myself very well... but yeah... the problem isn't at XenForo.com.

Disagree with you there Slavik and even when proof was provided in the social style release nothing was done. Adam even admitted it came from a pirate. It's just hilarious he's working on a style and magically someone comes out and says ill help you.

People look at Adam as the victim here which is hilarious, once my style site is up and say I were to go on vacation for 2 weeks, does that mean Adam is able to repost my styles for free here until I got back because you guys can't open your ****ing eyes and see a blatant rip. All because the owner isn't bringing it to your attention, just pathetic.

No comment on "social" as I didn't handle it. However I trust whatever the other mods did was correct so am not going to go second guessing them.

However on XenPeace and Blue Angel, has anyone provided a single bit of conclusive evidence that the style is ripped?

All I found on the threads I cleaned up were accusations and not evidence unless i've missed something somewhere.

....and that sums it up.

Terrible what is happening here.
Again, I think it's being blown out of proportion.

Accusations have been made, the offending resources have been removed. I agree they should have been removed sooner and not released at all under the circumstances, but apart from that, what is happening here? Piracy is not a regular occurrence (in the resource manager).

There's other things here that obviously aren't great... but Piracy I really don't think is one of the big problems.

No comment on "social" as I didn't handle it. However I trust whatever the other mods did was correct so am not going to go second guessing them.

However on XenPeace and Blue Angel, has anyone provided a single bit of conclusive evidence that the style is ripped?

All I found on the threads I cleaned up were accusations and not evidence unless i've missed something somewhere.

You've got to be kidding me, the fact the person Adam gave credit to(who appeared magically as he was making a style privately to help him) posted immediately following the release saying it was a rip isn't enough justification?

I have to concur on this one, I was not sure about the evidence posted here. There was a screenshot that had some red flags (same name and file sizes are usually a good indicator). I have not seen the reports, though.

You've got to be kidding me, the fact the person Adam gave credit to(who appeared magically as he was making a style privately to help him) posted immediately following the release saying it was a rip isn't enough justification?

No it is not. For all I know is Adam and his assistant had a falling out, so his assistant is now posting up such comments purposely to cause harm to Adam.

This is why I ask for evidence and not accusations.

Incidentally I have just spotted these resources have been re-uploaded like 4 times each... going to go look at the other threads now.

Slavik, is there any reason why you cannot introduce some rules

- Unless you've create a resource
- got permission from the author
- Conditions of use for the resource

Cannot be added to the resource guidelines letting people know they should not release if these criteria is not met?

And if someone has broken those guidelines they are either banned from releasing resources, there resources are moderated or some other restriction if they've continually release a ripped resource.

Fighting with resource providers will not produce an outcome that benefits because we've lost two contributors. Any reason why guidelines can't be put up? more importantly enforced? Would this need approval from the owners KAM? if so wouldn't it be wise for you to contact them and/or have them give you permissions to fight against inhouse piracy? Eitherway, sitting on the fence on these matters is resulting in resources being pulled and contributors leaving which we all have to agree on isn't great for this community.

Slavik, is there any reason why you cannot introduce some rules

- Unless you've create a resource
- got permission from the author
- Conditions of use for the resource

Cannot be added to the resource guidelines letting people know they should not release if these criteria is not met?

And if someone has broken those guidelines they are either banned from releasing resources, there resources are moderated or some other restriction if they've continually release a ripped resource.

Fighting with resource providers will not produce an outcome that benefits because we've lost two contributors. Any reason why guidelines can't be put up? more importantly enforced? Would this need approval from the owners KAM? if so wouldn't it be wise for you to contact them and/or have them give you permissions to fight against inhouse piracy? Eitherway, sitting on the fence on these matters is resulting in resources being pulled and contributors leaving which we all have to agree on isn't great for this community.

Good suggestion.

I'll look into it.

Let's give Slavik a break. He already stated that due to real life issues he has no time to meaningfully moderate this community.

Thanks, but I have no issue looking at such reports provided that they arnt just accusations with unsubstantiated evidence. What I dont have time to do is download a style, install it and then compare it line for line looking for evidence of piracy.

Things look the same. It happens, there is only a finite number of resources currently out there, so if others have drawn inspiration from another design, similarities are going to occur eventually.

Im all for supporting legitimate authors, but I am not going to allow a mob mentality to take effect just because something looks the same. Provide me with solid evidence and it will be actioned.

To reiterate what I said earlier: Just for the record, I think a third party Resource Manager type site for XenForo add-ons and styles is an awful idea. It doesn't help to solve anything. It's just another system where add-on developers like myself have to maintain support and updates on, another place to make releases, etc.

It provides no benefit whatsoever and in fact just serves as potentially yet another place where your hard work is going to be redistributed and plagerised without your permission.

No comment on "social" as I didn't handle it.

No one handled(this is a problem) Social, Adam came to a conclusion after having a chat with his co-admin.

No it is not. For all I know is Adam and his assistant had a falling out, so his assistant is now posting up such comments purposely to cause harm to Adam.

This is why I ask for evidence and not accusations.

Incidentally I have just spotted these resources have been re-uploaded like 4 times each... going to go look at the other threads now.

Yep, it was his assistant, generous helper, pirate, pirate of a pirater, pirate of a piraters unique work, all of the above.

sadikb posted a unique div code found in iSkin's which is in Adam's styles that isn't even being utilized(the css was removed). What is the point of it now Slavik? In the release Adam said it wasn't a ripped, but "shared common usage code".

I think the only proof XF mods will accept is for the Author of the ripped release(Adam) is to remove it himself.

This is a result of proper moderating:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248299

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom