UI Needs More Attention (especially for mobile)!

turtile

When xenForo was released, it greatly improved a lot of the UI/UX problems with other forum software. However, it seems like nothing except for the conversion to responsive has changed. It seems like software development is stuck with features and elements and the way users interact with it comes second. This is a big mistake. Most users are terrible at learning new interfaces. The more it's cluttered, the more confused they get. If users get frustrated, they are gone... Basic functions should be instantly recognizable by anyone. Again, xenForo did a lot to fix this up in the beginning by grouping a lot of functions.

What brings this up is the 'new' Media add-on. I thought about switching but after testing it out, I just can't do it! I mean, it still works like the ancient Photopost software...

*I don't mean to nitpick the new add-on, just trying to explain where I am coming from*

First thing I saw - buttons that, well, aren't buttons, some that are, some that I can't even see (I'm nearsighted!):

thumb1.webp

First you have the comments that do nothing when you click on them, views that do nothing, yet you can rate and like dislike the photo with the thumbs up and star - makes no sense... Same goes for the bottom. Date does nothing, image icon does nothing, yet magnify glass previews the image in lightbox.

imageview.webp

Now when we look at the image, especially a portrait, none of the functions are available when you scroll. Up and down up and down just to move the next image. If you click on the image, you end up with a lightbox that doesn't allow you to do anything (can't share the image, save it etc) but link to the image. You can go move to other images but once you close out, you are back to the original image.

mobilehome.webp

Then, there is the mess that is mobile. (about 50% of traffic) Couldn't we simply have a Sort by and a drop down box? I'd have no idea what I'm looking at if I dropped in on this site! The purpose should be to upload and view media but all I see are ways to organize media. Good for programmers, bad for common users.

upload1.webp

Then try to do a simple important task - upload an image. First thing I attempted to do was touch the drop down box but nothing would happens (is my phone broken?). Then I try to hit the radio button which is so small it takes 3 attempts. Then I can finally choose the category. An upload an image tab pops up but clicking on it does nothing. So I have to scroll down to see that there is an 'Add Media' button. (which overflows the mobile interface)

There are tons of things that I think need changing in xenForo as well and a lot more with the add-ons but that will take too long to point out.

So is there anyway we can get the UI/UX as simple as possible with mobile a priority for 2.0?

Actually, XenForo as a whole is responsible for the add-on.

I have already read the feedback. There's no immediate response to give, other than specific suggestions would be best posted in the Media Gallery Suggestions forum, otherwise this is a perfectly valid place for Gallery customers or potential Gallery customers to discuss their own opinions.

Actually, XenForo as a whole is responsible for the add-on.

I have already read the feedback. There's no immediate response to give, other than specific suggestions would be best posted in the Media Gallery Suggestions forum, otherwise this is a perfectly valid place for Gallery customers or potential Gallery customers to discuss their own opinions.

Exactly, I just thought I'd give my feedback on what will make the next version of xenForo better. Unless xenForo's interface as a whole changes, there's no point making a million suggestions on one add-on (for ex., the Resource Manager has the same stack of tabs, just less). Since 2.0 is in the works, they can build it from scratch instead of changing it all around and then redoing it again.

Concentrating on mobile/touch along with testing the interface with common people who haven't used a forum will help a lot. If a normal person can land on the page, sign up post etc. without any help, you have a great interface.

Top Bottom