Test xenForo with mybb Import

soeren

Hey There

i want to test xenForo with mybb Migration. I can request the 7 day demo account, but the mybb importer is not in the admin panel. I have to download it, but i have no account to get to the download... what can i do?

Solution
This is not native MyBB functionality so, not exactly.

The users will be migrated, they will exist, their content will exist and be attributed to them. But the association with their social media account will not exist.

These users will need to use their password to log in. If they do not have a password, the lost password process will reset their password and will allow them to log in.
Errrr... exactly WHY did they say you had to pay $240 additional dollars. If it is a supported import then the simple importers provided should suffice. We stand-alone scripts don't have to pay additional.
Why? Because you would need to be able to create a database and upload a database dump into it, which cloud doesn't support. Giving people that kind of access to the database in a cloud product is not exactly something they'd want to do. Their cloud page says they do the imports.

Then that is an error in their cloud setup and needs to be brought to their attention. Migration tools should be fully available for ALL new cloud customers.
Of course, where I am going to is the License and then the Downloads available to me.

View attachment 283340
Since I'm not on the cloud, the interface may be different.
no, it seems not to be an error, it seems to get much money as they can:

1679483900445.webp

so...this is a ***** shame, i will not pay 240 bucks for that

Why? Because you would need to be able to create a database and upload a database dump into it, which cloud doesn't support. Giving people that kind of access to the database in a cloud product is not exactly something they'd want to do. Their cloud page says they do the imports.
********... importation of another site should be a "basic" of setting up a cloud site. Charging an additional fee is no more than a money grab. That basically would be like them charing you an additional fee for the importers.. if they aren't capable of providing DB credentials to their new cloud users, then maybe they need to go back and rethink their cloud onboarding processes.
At the MOST all is needed is setting up the DB and importing... and that in itself is only a 3-4 minute job.
And XF can provide the DB and the DB credentials for importation into.

As I said... I haven't looked t at the cloud, or what they offer.. if this is their process, then they are actually WORSE than IPS.... and IPS sucks hind teat IMHO.
I'll happily stay with my self-hosted... and in addition recommend that others that are running a hobbyist site NOT contemplate XF's cloud offering.

Last edited:

In addition we run a variety of additional steps and procedures that are required for XenForo Cloud and handle post-import support for the customer, as well as working with them to arrange suitable times and testing if needed, it is not just a "plug it in and go" it is a personalized service.

So your standard "run of the mill" import takes a couple of hours, which, is time that a particular member of staff is unavailable for other support or development. Accordingly the time is billable.

Last edited:
I understand @MySiteGuy explanation, it's technically tricky to leave to users, however I think it's a bit expensive as a service. Finally let's say a bit expensive for an average user because not everyone can afford a Cloud at $75 monthly so I guess that $240 extra is not a hindrance for the customer in most cases. Unfortunately not in this specific case apparently.

In addition we run a variety of additional steps and procedures that are required for XenForo Cloud and handle post-import support for the customer.

So your standard "run of the mill" import takes a couple of hours, which, is time that a particular member of staff is unavailable for other support or development. Accordingly the time is billable.
Still... ********.
That should be a planned part of onboarding existing sites... and sorry, unless you have major issues, importing from another script (if the importers are coded correctly) don't amount to that much.
Yes, there is processor time.
Yes, their is monitoring time.
But sorry, that doesn't amount to $240 worth of monies.
Your competitor at IPS doesn't charge the same from what I have seen. Your onboarding and the importation is part of the same package and appears to be a simple money grab.
Please, elucidate for us why the end user cannot do the importation using provided credentials and then IF there is an issue, entering a ticket with the understanding that additional charges may entail.
Does the cloud signup clearly denote that there is an additional charge for imports?

that´s the reason why i would like to try the import before buying... anyway.... i ve requestest a cancel and a refund

240$ is not that problem... the problem for me: i ve asked here before buying

and why the heck, i am seeing this as a cloud user if it´s even not supported for cloud customers:

1679485754937.webp

Still... ********.
That should be a planned part of onboarding existing sites... and sorry, unless you have major issues, importing from another script (if the importers are coded correctly) don't amount to that much.
Yes, there is processor time.
Yes, their is monitoring time.
But sorry, that doesn't amount to $240 worth of monies.
Your competitor at IPS doesn't charge the same from what I have seen. Your onboarding and the importation is part of the same package and appears to be a simple money grab.
Please, elucidate for us why the end user cannot do the importation using provided credentials and then IF there is an issue, entering a ticket with the understanding that additional charges may entail.
Does the cloud signup clearly denote that there is an additional charge for imports?
Most imports and migrations take a significant amount of planning and execution time. It's a fully managed service which is well tested, performed by heavily skilled and experienced people and, frankly, often purchased by customers who would not be able to guarantee the same outcome of success and quality assurance.

XenForo Cloud is a fully managed, software as a service package. We have never and will never be able to provide the level of access that is required for end users to perform the work themselves. Indeed, if they are capable, it's very likely that another hosting solution is more appropriate for them. The managed nature of the service ensures we have a consistent environment for the installed software, consistently supported by us, and tasks such as this always performed in a consistent way to ensure the best possible results.

If anyone doesn't wish to pay the amount that we're asking, that is absolutely fine. But that is the service we offer, that is the price, and you can call it ******** all you like, it's a reasonable cost for the work being performed.

Nice to know that it is detailed that there is notice (although i wouldn't say $240 is a "small" one-off fee)... as I said, I don't use cloud, have no interest in cloud and won't use cloud.
THAT was my point.. if it wasn't detailed, then it's BS (and I CLEARLY stated that I wasn't familiar with the cloud offering). If it IS detailed, then it's a normal part of business. I WOULD suggest that instead of stating a "small one-off fee" that a link to a more detailed price list be provided..... as I'm SURE that importing a 1 million post site would be more work than importing a 5000 post/400 member site.

If anyone doesn't wish to pay the amount that we're asking, that is absolutely fine. But that is the service we offer, that is the price, and you can call it ******** all you like, it's a reasonable cost for the work being performed.
My point is, if the admin has the credentials to import to, then there should be minimal onboarding requirements. IF there is additional "hand-holding" required, then additional charges may be incurred.
Exactly HOW hard is it to tell your cloud customers the username/password of the DB?
As @Slavik pointed out, there IS a notice in the cloud subscription about onboarding... and since I don't (and won't) use the XF cloud, I was not familiar with it. Since there IS that notice, then I have no great issue.

Nice to know that it is detailed that there is notice (although i wouldn't say $240 is a "small" one-off fee)... as I said, I don't use cloud, have no interest in cloud and won't use cloud.
THAT was my point.. if it wasn't detailed, then it's BS (and I CLEARLY stated that I wasn't familiar with the cloud offering). If it IS detailed, then it's a normal part of business. I WOULD suggest that instead of stating a "small one-off fee" that a link to a more detailed price list be provided..... as I'm SURE that importing a 1 million post site would be more work than importing a 5000 post/400 member site.
When we first started offering imports (from other software) and migrations (from XF) the pricing was flexible based on an estimate of how long we thought a particular job would take.

The pricing has recently been fixed so that it will depend on the cloud plan being purchased and whether it's an import or migration. The difference being that with imports we do them twice - one test import and one live import. Migrations are much simpler and like-for-like so they cost basically half of what an import does as they are almost literally half the effort.

Top Bottom