[TAC] Stop Human Spam

[TAC] Stop Human Spam [Paid] 1.4.8

No permission to buy ($19.00)
Full time work:
Not for a while, I'm working full time at the moment.
I've basically made no return on existing plugins and have to keep a roof over my head (lost about 10K taking 1-2 years to develop them),
The anti-spam methods are slipping into the core (so there will be no money for me for future development), and this plugin rarely gets purchased, so as such I'm now working full time.

I have no issues with xenforo incorporating plugins / methods into the core (in fact, it's a good idea in some areas), and I've gained quite a lot of Zend experience (which has helped get my current job), but it's at an economical loss if doing full time.

I'll update plugins, but it could be some time in the future.
Fixing bugs when I can, but that's about it at the moment.

Mike, a small issue in an error I keep getting in relation to gravatar being active. Either yours or @Daniel Hood user essentials is creating the problem.

Code:
Error Info
Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception: Unable to Connect to ssl://secure.gravatar.com:443. Error #110: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 8:19 PM
Stack Trace
#0 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/Zend/Http/Client.php(973): Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect('secure.gravatar...', 443, true)
#1 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/Model/Avatar.php(457): Zend_Http_Client->request('HEAD')
#2 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(374): XenForo_Model_Avatar::gravatarExists('noahmyhm@yahoo....')
#3 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/UserEss/ControllerPublic/Register.php(68): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#4 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/Tac/StopCountrySpam/ControllerPublic/Register.php(472): UserEss_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#5 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/Tac/DeDos/ControllerPublic/Register.php(51): Tac_StopCountrySpam_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#6 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): Tac_DeDos_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#7 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(42) "https://www.myptsd.com/c/register/register"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(16) {
    ["username"] => string(9) "DSantacru"
    ["6eb99d66aaa47062d77c40900d0f0300"] => string(0) ""
    ["cdd04f96ae17a0b594953d88332ef652"] => string(18) "noahmyhm@yahoo.com"
    ["2a337d6a4deb51e6a9155d93e0464718"] => string(18) "noahmyhm@yahoo.com"
    ["4f83c6230457e64b100aa64faca227e7"] => string(0) ""
    ["d3e50db15b4a558e6fa218fe28caf464"] => string(0) ""
    ["dob_month"] => string(1) "3"
    ["dob_day"] => string(2) "12"
    ["dob_year"] => string(4) "1976"
    ["97cf957ab7518d08ddbacf92d75390f4"] => array(1) {
      ["n2e1ymi3yzu"] => string(0) ""
    }
    ["custom_fields_shown"] => array(1) {
      [0] => string(11) "n2e1ymi3yzu"
    }
    ["baf4f79424848df7838bb9edb75aa93e"] => string(19) "America/Los_Angeles"
    ["keycaptcha_code"] => string(0) ""
    ["agree"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["reg_key"] => string(32) "7a5bb7c57be64e058b8f104dcae2e19e"
  }
}

Mike, a small issue in an error I keep getting in relation to gravatar being active. Either yours or @Daniel Hood user essentials is creating the problem.

Code:
Error Info
Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception: Unable to Connect to ssl://secure.gravatar.com:443. Error #110: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 8:19 PM
Stack Trace
#0 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/Zend/Http/Client.php(973): Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect('secure.gravatar...', 443, true)
#1 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/Model/Avatar.php(457): Zend_Http_Client->request('HEAD')
#2 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(374): XenForo_Model_Avatar::gravatarExists('noahmyhm@yahoo....')
#3 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/UserEss/ControllerPublic/Register.php(68): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#4 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/Tac/StopCountrySpam/ControllerPublic/Register.php(472): UserEss_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#5 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/Tac/DeDos/ControllerPublic/Register.php(51): Tac_StopCountrySpam_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#6 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): Tac_DeDos_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#7 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(42) "https://www.myptsd.com/c/register/register"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(16) {
    ["username"] => string(9) "DSantacru"
    ["6eb99d66aaa47062d77c40900d0f0300"] => string(0) ""
    ["cdd04f96ae17a0b594953d88332ef652"] => string(18) "noahmyhm@yahoo.com"
    ["2a337d6a4deb51e6a9155d93e0464718"] => string(18) "noahmyhm@yahoo.com"
    ["4f83c6230457e64b100aa64faca227e7"] => string(0) ""
    ["d3e50db15b4a558e6fa218fe28caf464"] => string(0) ""
    ["dob_month"] => string(1) "3"
    ["dob_day"] => string(2) "12"
    ["dob_year"] => string(4) "1976"
    ["97cf957ab7518d08ddbacf92d75390f4"] => array(1) {
      ["n2e1ymi3yzu"] => string(0) ""
    }
    ["custom_fields_shown"] => array(1) {
      [0] => string(11) "n2e1ymi3yzu"
    }
    ["baf4f79424848df7838bb9edb75aa93e"] => string(19) "America/Los_Angeles"
    ["keycaptcha_code"] => string(0) ""
    ["agree"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["reg_key"] => string(32) "7a5bb7c57be64e058b8f104dcae2e19e"
  }
}
In all honesty it seems like that isn't an issue with either add on. It looks to be more of an issue of gravatar.com went down briefly which is out of our control.

@tenants I'm not sure if it's been suggested (or if it is possible) but could you add an option to remove log entries when a user account is banned using the XF spam cleaner?

That way I'd just be left with the unspotted spam entries and could ... go get 'em!! :D

@tenants

Hi ... tried to register on your site to buy StopHumanSpam - Anti Human Spam 1.3.3 and rec'd this message :

Please correct the following errors:
Your registration has been rejected as it resembles automated or spam-like behavior. Please contact the administrator for further information or assistance.

Does this plugin work with the Xenforo 1.4.2 ?

Please advise.

Thanks

That is a core phrase (from Xenforo's StopForumSpam usage): spam_prevention_registration_rejected
- That's the trouble with API's... one day an IP will be spam, the next it goes back to the pool and catches out a real user

I haven't tested it with 1.4.2, sorry.

@tenants - I was able to add a link as a test user. Here is my settings. Was able to add a link on my first post and edit the tread and add another.

View attachment 89752 View attachment 89753

The only question I would ask is, does the user have to hit all the mentioned criteria listed?
  • minimum posts
  • minimum likes
  • minimum registration day

Or is it what ever is reached first, then, this would make sense why he was able to post.

They have to pass all criteria, is the user part of the group that can bypass rules:

StopHumanSpam
Can Bypass Link-Post-Rules:
Can Bypass Signature-Modify-Rules:
Can Bypass Stop-Banned-Words:
Can Bypass Stop-Sneaky-Urls:
Can Bypass Phone-Number-Rules:

Or have you added that particular forum to the "bypass forums" option

They have to pass all criteria, is the user part of the group that can bypass rules:

StopHumanSpam
Can Bypass Link-Post-Rules:
Can Bypass Signature-Modify-Rules:
Can Bypass Stop-Banned-Words:
Can Bypass Stop-Sneaky-Urls:
Can Bypass Phone-Number-Rules:

Or have you added that particular forum to the "bypass forums" option
Usergroup is set to registered only (any new user)
No forums are bypassed. (Unless set by default)

You are adding an internal link, as you have checked that option to allow them to be added. Try adding an external link, and it will work, or disable that option if you don't even want internal links posted by new members.

I would also remove the default message that tells users what they have to meet before posting links, as that is a spammers answer to how to spam your site. Change it something simple like, "Anti-spam protection in place, links cannot be posted by new members. Your account will automatically allow links once you've reached our minimum thresholds."

Obviously do not disclose your thresholds. Otherwise a spammer can register, input their details into software, let the software spam x posts, have another account liking them all, then spam crazy, all whilst you're sleeping.

I assume you worked out your misjudgement above? And the item works as described?

It's the single most effective add-on I've ever encountered with forum software over the years to thwart human spam.

Yes, if you are allowed to add internal links
Good... but you can turn that off from your options IF you don't want new members posting any links, even internal ones. I disable that option, as I had a spammer post spam, then spam the forum with posts linking to that spam... so I learnt. They are creative... I'll give em that.

Top Bottom