So, what don't you like about XenForo?

wii

We all know how great it is, but let's talk about what we don't like.

I just renewed my license and I've installed it on a testdomain, I'm currently using vBulletin 3.8.7, which is the forum I will upgrade if XenForo let's me do what I want.

1. Creatinng a unique color scheme - I think it's hard to get it right, it's not clear at all which colors belong to where. Gradients are all over the place, which does't look good using a dark scheme, I can remove them or make my own, so that's not a big issue.

2. All the popus windows - At first it was cool, but after a while it get's annoying, also the blurring effect when logging it doesn't look good using a dark theme, I would prefer to disable all the popups and special effects, I don't need them and they are not necessary in my opinion.

3. Sidebar - I know it's probably there to make XenForo unique from the others, but I prefer to have that info at the bottom, It's not important to me who's online or who's the boss at the forum.

I think that's it for now, please let me know your thoughts about this, maybe I missed something :)

Thanks

All the popus windows - At first it was cool, but after a while it get's annoying, also the blurring effect when logging it doesn't look good using a dark theme, I would prefer to disable all the popups and special effects, I don't need them and they are not necessary in my opinion.

On mobile devices, overlays will need to be disabled, but don't dare to touch them on none-mobile devices. They are fast, they allow to configure very quickly options or modify datas and they look nice. They are a part of the XenForo identity. If you don't like the visual on dark themes, I'm sure you can find a way to customize them.

2. All the popus windows - At first it was cool, but after a while it get's annoying, also the blurring effect when logging it doesn't look good using a dark theme, I would prefer to disable all the popups and special effects, I don't need them and they are not necessary in my opinion.

I think cclaerhout mentioned enough, it is not good on dark theme because that theme was not optimized for the popup overlay.

3. Sidebar - I know it's probably there to make XenForo unique from the others, but I prefer to have that info at the bottom, It's not important to me who's online or who's the boss at the forum.
You are able to hide them, disable them, remove them... by manual template edit or by TMS addon, that is not a big deal at all.

To tell the truth I haven't found anything that I don't like about xenForo yet :cool: . Yes there are features I wish was a part of xenForo, but luckily I have been able to get that done with external add-ons.

On my top wish list are:

Build in responsive design - something in that area will probably come in XF 1.2 (until then Arty has an add-on that does this really well)

Blogs (as an official addon) - but there two great blog addons, although since its such a big part of several my sites I would prefer an official add-on.

CMS - would be really great, but until now xenPorta has done the job for me both in regards to article publishing and portal styling.

Widget Framework - widgets are great and lets you custimize the site to your needs, there is a great add-on called widget framework that solves this and it works great with xenforo.

Enhanced status updates - would be great if they could include photos, youtube and other media. And that the max lenght could be changed in admin.

This is just things I wish was part of xenForo core or an official add-on, but it dosent make me like xenforo any less. I have tried other forum software that had impleamented features in ways that I really did not like.

The one and so far the only thing I HATE about xenForo is the permissions system. It is honestly overly complicated. Reminds me alot of how the vB permissions system is. You have permissions for permissions. I would love a permissions system similar to that of IP.Board. (Have used it mostly over the years) it is very easy to set up and no confusion on what does what.

Other than that I love everything about xenForo. The speed, the security, the well everything else.......

Smiley Manager (serious lack of features and options)
subforum dropdown menus on index (I prefer the column option)

The permission system is actually what I like the most about XenForo, though I still miss a few features vBulletin had, e. g. rank icons (trophy icons), HTML in user titles and profile pictures.

The one and so far the only thing I HATE about xenForo is the permissions system. It is honestly overly complicated. Reminds me alot of how the vB permissions system is. You have permissions for permissions. I would love a permissions system similar to that of IP.Board. (Have used it mostly over the years) it is very easy to set up and no confusion on what does what.

Other than that I love everything about xenForo. The speed, the security, the well everything else.......
At first I did find it very confusing, but now that I know how it works I find it extremely powerful. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a more simplified version for people who don't want so much fine-grained control, though.

The biggest issue I have with how permissions are set is you no longer have fine control over searching for users. If you have multiple usergroups, you can't just search for group a, because b,c and d also show up. I've hated secondary permissions from day one because of this.

The permission system is actually what I like the most about XenForo, though I still miss a few features vBulletin had, e. g. rank icons (trophy icons), HTML in user titles and profile pictures.

Well what others may hate some will love.

At first I did find it very confusing, but now that I know how it works I find it extremely powerful. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a more simplified version for people who don't want so much fine-grained control, though.

I agree it is extremely powerful and yes there needs to be a "Permissions for Dummies" setting for those of us that don't need to go as in-depth as others may.

I hate the editor (tinyMCE). It's buggy, slow, ugly, and limited (can't resize?). At first I didn't care that much but right now I think they should get rid of it asap. I'd prefer they code their own stable and fast editor. Just basic, not too fancy.

Other than that more free add-ons, more essential features...

I hate the editor (tinyMCE). It's buggy, slow, ugly, and limited (can't resize?). At first I didn't care that much but right now I think they should get rid of it asap. I'd prefer they code their own stable and fast editor. Just basic, not too fancy.

Other than that more free add-ons, more essential features...

You would remind me about the editor......make that 2 things I HATE about xenForo. Hopefully they will release a version one day that has something other than tinyMCE.

The permissions system is hands-down better than vB. I think a lot of the problems people have with it actually stem from the fact they try to use it like it's vB, when it's really not. Setting up private nodes is as easy as flipping a switch and defining the permissions for the group that *can* see inside.... unlike vB where you might have to manually go into a half-dozen groups and remove their view permissions.

Setting a private forum so that non-privileged users can know that it exists but not view the content is a little tricky, though. It's do-able, but it doesn't really work as well as it should.

The biggest problem is in the ACP tools. There is no way to edit a user upgrade. Viewing the terms (expiration, etc) of a particular user upgrade is extremely difficult. I usually just go straight to the db and search for the uid there, then do the math to convert from unixtime.

I hate the editor (tinyMCE).
^this x 1,000,000. At first I was okay with it because it does have a very simple appearance. But any time I try to use the "Insert/edit Image" button, or the "Media" button, for example, that stupid popup takes way too long to load.

Permissions. I have posted elsewhere that because permissions are so powerful we need better access to manage them.
1. A grid/ table display with admin selected usergroups along top; the main core permissions down the side.
Cells show Inherit/ Yes/ Revoke/ No. (addon devs could make their own by copying format)
2. A permissions analysis finder. Two boxes. Enter usergroup or user. Select permission.
Result shows all settings on that permission.

Whats New? needs a manager to Hide user selected threads, or sections.

Conversations need some of the basics of Conversation Essentials by Syndol.

Search should not have default search this forum. It gets overlooked and appears to return no results - very frustrating when you know what you want exists, and looks bad for less experienced users who don't realise.

Those are the ones that hurt!

But I adore XF with a deep abiding soaring poetic comedic existential passion.

The only other thing I don't like is dragging myself to bed at 4am AGAIN - and it's all XF's fault.

[EDIT] I would love to create my own quick links in the admincp.

Top Bottom