Slide Out Poll

Slide Out Poll 1.2

No permission to download

Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder submitted a new resource:

Slide Out Poll - Hides poll options in thread creation until the user chooses to add a poll.

Slide Out Poll add-on for Xenforo
by Bloodcinder

This add-on hides the poll options when creating a thread until the user clicks the Add a Poll button. The poll options will then be shown and the browser will automatically scroll to them.

For forums where polls are of little use, this helps to save space and provide less distraction in the thread creation screen.

Notes:
  • The text on the Add a Poll button is an editable phrase.
  • This add-on does not in any way affect...

Read more about this resource...

In the version I use on my own site, I have moved the Add a Poll button down to the second row of posting buttons, beneath the Options and Set Thread Status sections, because polls are so rarely used.

I plan to add an admin panel option for this add-on to select which of the two button rows you want the button to appear in. However, I don't know how to do that just yet. I only started using Xenforo on Saturday night and had my first add-on released by Sunday afternoon, so... I think we can all cut me some slack while I learn a bit more.

Anyway, I will release that update when I have it completed. Thanks for the downloads so far.

In the version I use on my own site, I have moved the Add a Poll button down to the second row of posting buttons, beneath the Options and Set Thread Status sections, because polls are so rarely used.

I plan to add an admin panel option for this add-on to select which of the two button rows you want the button to appear in. However, I don't know how to do that just yet. I only started using Xenforo on Saturday night and had my first add-on released by Sunday afternoon, so... I think we can all cut me some slack while I learn a bit more.

Anyway, I will release that update when I have it completed. Thanks for the downloads so far.
Congratulations on your first release and welcome to XenForo @Bloodcinder

Bloodcinder updated Slide Out Poll with a new update entry:

Location options added

You can now select the placement of the Add a Poll button from several choices in [Options -> Threads, Disscussions, and Conversations] just beneath the built-in option(s) for polls.

Currently, this supports placing the button in the row below the editor (which is the default setting), placing the button in the row below the thread options and status (which is actually what I prefer on my own forum), and showing the poll options by default (which is the Xenforo factory default behavior).

If...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I plan to add an admin panel option for this add-on to select which of the two button rows you want the button to appear in.
Done. So if you want your poll options even more hidden than they already were with the previous version of this add-on, the new option will let you move them down to the very bottom row of buttons. Find it in [Options -> Threads, Discussions, and Conversations] right below the stock option to select maximum poll choices.

Beta versions of Xenforo are unsupported, subject to change, and not recommended in production. I have no plans to update this add-on for compatibility until there is a new release version of Xenforo.

However, I will be updating my site to Xenforo 1.4 shortly after its release. As soon after that as practical, I'll see what I can do about maintaining compatibility.

Last edited:
Okay, I looked into it. Although I don't have a running instance of Xenforo 1.4, I've examined the beta code and modified the add-on so that it should be compatible with both 1.3 and 1.4 beta. (I just had to rig a regular expression to work with both versions of the thread_create template instead of just the 1.3 version.)

I don't want to officially update the add-on until somebody can confirm that this experimental version works, so I'll attach the experimental version to this post. Hey @Super120 and @Pinn please install this update and let me know if it works correctly in 1.4 beta.

I know that this new version is still compatible with 1.3, but I just need to know if it fixes compatibility with 1.4 since I can't run it myself.

Attachments

Hi @Bloodcinder thank you very much.

It's working fine in 1.4 Beta 2 however I think there is something wrong (minor problem). I have enabled the option "Show after pressing "Add a Poll" button below the editor" and when creating a thread, I see the first row of buttons and the options and also the second row of buttons even before the I press the "Add Poll" button:

Create Thread - Add Poll - Preview

Options: Watch this thread
(...)

Create Thread - Preview

I think the expected behavior before pressing the "Add Poll" should be:

Create Thread - Add Poll - Preview

Options: Watch this thread
(...)

It's not actually an error, but I understand why you see it as a usability problem, and I think I agree. I should be able to fix that. I'll post another experimental update when I do.

@Super120 , after reviewing the default behavior of XF 1.3 and 1.4, it seems that the second button row is expected to appear below the options for reasons that are not poll-related. If my add-on were to hide that button row, it would be "meddling in other affairs" that are not related to the poll options. I do understand your perspective about what you think the expected behavior should be, but I'm going to leave it as it is.

At least it's compatible with 1.4 now (in the current beta). I'll go ahead and update this resource with the compatibility fix.

Bloodcinder updated Slide Out Poll with a new update entry:

Support added for Xenforo 1.4 beta 2

People were requesting that I update this add-on to work with the Xenforo 1.4 beta 2. I don't have access to a running copy of the beta, but I was able to make the changes just by examining the beta source code, and several users have confirmed that this compatibility fix works.

If you're currently using Xenforo 1.3, you won't need to update to this version, but it won't hurt if you do.

If you're using Xenforo 1.4, the previous version of this add-on will definitely not work, and this update...

Read the rest of this update entry...

This should also hide the duplicate create thread and preview that is usually under the poll options. Should be an easy fix. Maybe you can just give us instructions.

Attachments

• poll.webp
    poll.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: rdn
To hide those buttons would leave some options like open and sticky below the last submit button on the page, which violates usability conventions. So I won't be providing that feature in my add-on.

However, all you have to do is edit the template modification to extend the poll options container down to encompass those buttons by altering the find regex.

Top Bottom