Showcase (Reviews, Guides, Garage, Directory etc)

Showcase (Reviews, Guides, Garage, Directory etc) [Paid] 2.9.0

No permission to buy ($55.00)
Hi,
Is it possible to run two or more instances of this add-on on one site? Like having showcases for boats, lawn mowers and also a review section for movies both on the same xF site?
thanks,
Sacha

Hi,
Is it possible to run two or more instances of this add-on on one site? Like having showcases for boats, lawn mowers and also a review section for movies both on the same xF site?
thanks,
Sacha

You cannot run multiple instances of the add on, but you are able to add separate categories for each of those.

You cannot run multiple instances of the add on, but you are able to add separate categories for each of those

thanks. OK, I looked at the demo and see what you mean:
http://xenaddons.com/showcase/category/vehicles.4/

This wouldn`t be sufficient as I need separate nav-tabs (OK, could be done with link forums) and if the user enters one of the sub-categories, the other categories should not be visible.

Plus the different instances should have different layouts/options.

This add-on is so feature-rich and flexible that it can easily replace several other add-ons. But to do so, I think I need multiple instances. Will contact Bob to clarify this.

Multi Instance functionality is a planned FUTURE functionality that requires major architecture changes. That is just not happening in a 2nd point release (which is where showcase is at right now). The next PLANNED Major release is the XF 2.0 rebuild.

Hey @Bob

I'm thinking about purchasing this bad boy for my anime forum and I want to turn it into a review system. How would this addon handle something like that?

I want to try to modify it, so let me know if any of these seem plausible:
  • Remove the ability to create new showcase items, only create reviews for showcase items
  • Have the showcase creation happen based off an XML feed with information on each anime
    • Process: Click "Post Review" > Select an "Anime" (Generated list of titles from XML) > Creates a new showcase item of that anime with information generated from XML > Add the review to the new item
My other thought was the make this addon create a bunch of showcase items based off an XML feed in bunches over time. However, if there are hundreds of thoughts of showcase items, that would be pretty bad huh?

Last option is to just simply let people create showcase items of each anime, but then you get duplicates and no centralization. I want to be able in the future to create connections between showcase items like "this showcase item was created based off this showcase item".

Let me know if this seems like a possibility or if I'm off my rocker!

Bob,
I am too like LP-John looking at using something like this as a review engine, allowing users to be able to post reviews/pics etc about things that they have received in the post relating to the hobby in question. Loving the ability to set custom review fields - a definite winner for me :)

Quick question - Can different review fields be set for different categories?? eg - if i had a category of "Modifications" and another called "machines", can users post a review on an item in "modifications" and it display specific ratings eg. Quality, Price, Ease of use, Overall - And a review on an item in "machines" with specific ratings e.g Quality, Theme, Playability???

Each Custom field that can be used by review posters would be set my the Admin on creation of each category...

Looks like a great add-on that could open a new world on my forum...

Cheers
Paul

Bob,
I am too like LP-John looking at using something like this as a review engine, allowing users to be able to post reviews/pics etc about things that they have received in the post relating to the hobby in question. Loving the ability to set custom review fields - a definite winner for me :)

Quick question - Can different review fields be set for different categories?? eg - if i had a category of "Modifications" and another called "machines", can users post a review on an item in "modifications" and it display specific ratings eg. Quality, Price, Ease of use, Overall - And a review on an item in "machines" with specific ratings e.g Quality, Theme, Playability???

Each Custom field that can be used by review posters would be set my the Admin on creation of each category...

Looks like a great add-on that could open a new world on my forum...

Cheers
Paul

Hey Paul... I'll try my best to answer this...

There are 2 things in play here. A Showcase Item itself & a Showcase Item's User Reviews.

There are 2 sets of Custom Fields for Showcase. There are Showcase Item fields (that belong to the Showcase Item itself and are filled in by the Showcase Item owner only). There are also User Review Fields which are custom fields for the User Reviews input form (so you can have more user input than just the standard star rating, pros, cons and summary). BOTH types of custom fields are linked to Categories (so they can belong to a single category or multiple categories). Item Custom fields are searchable, however, review fields are not (they will be in the near future). Only the User Review Fields have the Star Rating custom field type.

What it sounds like (at least to me) is that you are wanting the Star Rating custom field type that I have included with the User Review Fields added to the Item fields (which will be happening soon) so that you can make the ITEM itself the "Review" and have the ability to display Star Rating Fields for the Item (kinda similar to cnet.com where there is a item review AND user reviews).

I THINK that what you want to do will require waiting until the next 2nd point release which will have some new functionality for the item itself that is more "review" focused (like the star rating field type for item fields for example).

Hope that made sense. If not, shoot me an inbox so we can discuss in more detail.

im still on version 2.1.1
A bit unsure on how to do the upgrade
by my reckoning goto 2.2 then 2.3
is there anything else i need to do,any edits needed?
You can upgrade straight to 2.3. Most template edits will merge just fine, it's only the radical customization's that you need to worry about. If you want, send me an inbox and I can check things out for you prior to upgrade and help you if you need it.

You can upgrade straight to 2.3. Most template edits will merge just fine, it's only the radical customization's that you need to worry about. If you want, send me an inbox and I can check things out for you prior to upgrade and help you if you need it.
thats ok then...nothing too radical so ill just do the normal upgrade and go from there..
thanks for the offer though :-)

hi, my problem is ;

Server Error
Mysqli statement execute error : Got error 28 from storage engine

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 317
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->execute() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 479
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Model.php at line 219
  4. XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed() in NFLJ/Showcase/Model/Item.php at line 109
  5. NFLJ_Showcase_Model_Item->getItems() in NFLJ/Showcase/ControllerPublic/Showcase.php at line 185
  6. NFLJ_Showcase_ControllerPublic_Showcase->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
  7. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  8. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/cocukreh/public_html/forum/index.php at line 13
What can I do?
That typically indicates a lack of storage space on the disk.

It's not a problem with the add-on.

Top Bottom