Should I wait for Xenforo 1.2

vij

Hi I am a successful SEO and I am intending to start a forum with a decent budget to promote it and will get a decent server right from the start. My question is - should I wait for Xenforo 1.2 before I start? If the stable release could happen in less than 8 weeks, then I'd rather wait.

Also, will the addons/modifications get buggy post 1.2 - I ask because I hear 1.2 is a major change.
One of the reasons why I am thinking of waiting.

From whats said so far I think 1.2 as a stable release will arrive on the outer edge of your timeframe of 8 weeks if not a little bit longer.
Beta will be in the next couple of weeks or so, and stable depends on the reaction to that. Well XF is normally good quality code and Mike is amazingly fast at fixing bugs so it shouldnt be long.

However for me to estimate that for my existing sites where a few weeks here or there is no big deal - whether 1.2 goes stable and my addons catch up by mid July or August is not an issue.
For you making a big shift it is different.

Why not get a copy now and play around with a test install.
That way you'll learn the main XF system without pressure. XF 1.2 is bringing some great stuff but it's not as if it's rewriting XF completely! You'd find 85 -90% will be the same.

The stable release definitely isn't going to come in 8 weeks. More likely by the end of summer (if all goes well), so 16 weeks (hopefully less).

Reactions: vij
I'd always encourage people (as Morgain basically mentioned) and advised is familiarise yourself with it beforehand so your fluent with how the product works and it's feature set then when 1.2 comes and your comfortable with the software make the leap and do your stuff (whatever your plans are for xenforo).

With regards to add-ons, Mike mention there could be some breakage with add-ons. But the add-on community/devs are very quick in keeping their add-ons uptodate and release updates/fixes with each xenforo version if it's required very quickly. The software/Owners have set the foundation to make it easy on developers as it does with stylers who also update their styles very quickly because it's an effortless task to makes those updates and/or fixes.

Familiarise yourself with the product first, then go with your own judgement what you want to do next whether that is build your site on the current 1.1.5 version or wait to kickstart it on 1.2 but the benefits will be that you'll be more fluent with the product if you purchase now than wait. Think of it as being in the getting prepared period if that is the route you wish to take.

As XenForo 1.2 has more features and improvements over 1.1.X, there should be no question what version to use to build your site. I doubt anyone here will stick to the 1.1.X series. As far as whether you should get xenforo now, I would say yes. As mentioned by Shelley you can make yourself familiar with XF now, test things out, learn the template syntax etc. so that the upgrade to XF 1.2 will be easier on you.

I think the question is should the OP wait for 1.2 or start on 1.1.5 and upgrade upon release.

I'd say start with the current version now, 1.2 isn't going to be released as stable for a while (but you could run 1.2 beta which should be within your 8 week timeline)

If I were a fairly commercial and well organised new admin, which the OP sounds like, I definitely would not run a new live community on the current XF and then upgrade within 3 months or so.

Their users would not like it - admins have concerns about upgrading software but what is rarely mentioned is how their users dislike software change, or hate it. Yes they like the addition of one or two carefully introduced services, like having a better avatar, or adding sophisticated LIkes varieties to posts. But there will then be some there who don't like the change, there always are.
There are also a surprising number of users who really only cope withe the most basic simple features - Reply and do an avatar - even there they need help! Attachments, starting a thread, editing profile, profile posts, notification setttings are all dark arts to them! Really ... there is a whole world of very ignorant users who willl particularly find new sophisticated additions unwelcome and disturbing.

A new community needs to nurture its first members like royalty. Cherish. A major part of this is to make them feel the place belongs to them, it's THEIRS. Yanking it about with a major upgrade does the opposite, says you are guinea pigs, deal with it.

Basically it's all too easy to forget that what we find glittery and exciting to add - and we want to tell them look what I got for you! - is to a great many a dreaded bore. They just want core mechanics to go on as usual, familiar and comfy.
It takes time for a community to absorb new habits, at least 2- 3 months. So no sooner would the OP have their new users digesting their new world, than it would all go floojey.
Those emails admins send out - guess what you can now do X Y Z - spam for the majority of recipients and for many a groan reaction even if they bother to read it. The new stuff might please 25% or if you're lucky 50% so then there's another 75% or 50% who are now UNhappy.

So, by all means familiarise using this version. That'll mean hitting the ground fast with 1.2, with plans all ready to go - design, functions list. You'll have made vital contacts here too, including the addon developers you'll need to watch to be sure you get their addon upgraded. Most of all you'll know the admin system, and you then be one of us, sharing the adjustment to 1.2 to see how the new stuff works. You can put in your two bits on requests to adjust and tweak the beta! (XF does listen)

THEN go for 1.2 once it's polished, with a sleek machine to offer your market, and an admin or team that knows what it's doing.

If I were a fairly commercial and well organised new admin, which the OP sounds like, I definitely would not run a new live community on the current XF and then upgrade within 3 months or so.

Their users would not like it - admins have concerns about upgrading software but what is rarely mentioned is how their users dislike software change, or hate it.
Eh, XF 1.2 introduces new things mostly in the ACP. We are not talking about a xF → vB5 migration.

I am intending to start a forum with a decent budget to promote it

He said he wants to start a new forum. There are no members or reference point to compare anything. If anything the future members will love the future 1.2 when it is released. So yes go with 1.1.5 and start a new forum. The only better time to start a new forum was yesterday.

And as Luxus mentioned, there are no radical (or even major) user feature enhancements. Just the basics done better.

Or you could installed 1.1.5 >> get some members >> 1.2 released >> You upgrade >> and then wow your new memberbase with the new features in 1.2 = Happier Members.

There isn't much to hate, really.

Exactly.

I think it's impossible to hate change if that change is in the form of 1.2 for the following reasons.The only people that would hate the change are staff members working at both paid forum products other than that the changes would be warmly embraced and not compared to say a change from one software to another where you might get a few people kick up. This would not apply to this situation imo.

- Improved editor (responsive support) great for mobile devices (how could anyone hate that
- Responsive. Mobile support (again your catering for most people here) It'll be hard pressed to hate this also.
- Exisiting feature refinement - Can't hate this as it improves upon existing feature sets.

But you only have to look at the HYS area and see how much the hardier critiques have embraced what will be the upcoming changes, and they've been welcomed with open arms and embraced. This speaks volumes since the people who come here use both the backend features/functions as apposed to average members who enjoy the front end stuff that's at their disposal.

Heck, I'm loosing an add-on I waited 2 years for but still looking forward to this new editor as it improves the overall product tremendously and it's going to be so much easier, less time consuming to work with it's worth loosing that particular add-on.

Except a lot of memebers are not wowed and hate changes.
Judging by the HYS and features of the upcoming 1.2 that isn't the case. They're embracing them.
Huh? Wha? None of the members of the user communities have seen any 1.2 stuff. (Well a few staff might visit here I guess and hear about it)
Admins might like the 1.2 ideas on here - but admins on here love tinkering. Not the same outlook at all.
There isn't much to hate, really.
Not my impression. 1.2 looks pretty substantial with a lot of changes. My point was that admins underestimate how users hate change - what we find fun and innovative a great many of them find unnecessary, uncomfortable and disruptive.

Huh? Wha? None of the members of the user communities have seen any 1.2 stuff. (Well a few staff might visit here I guess and hear about it)
Admins might like the 1.2 ideas on here - but admins on here love tinkering. Not the same outlook at all.

Not my impression. 1.2 looks pretty substantial with a lot of changes. My point was that admins underestimate how users hate change - what we find fun and innovative a great many of them find unnecessary, uncomfortable and disruptive.

You understood perfectly, you don't have to agree, you don't even have to like what I've said with your "huh" "Wha" remarks. This isn't a pissing contest Morgain but the thread is about an OP starting afresh and if he started afresh with 1.1.5, accumulated some members in the process before 1.2 what would the members of his/her board hate with what 1.2 would bring?. you only have to look in the HYS to take notice at the positive feedback and how it benefits both admins & members (if your not one of those type that drools over your own posts I think you may see that and how this situation applies). I think your just disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing. But that is certainly your privilege which is well within your rights. :D

Can you please give some examples of 1.2 features that users may dislike?

Top Bottom