Should I wait for Xenforo 1.2

If I get a custom theme done, will it have problems after updating to 1.2
It most likely will require some updating unless it's a very "minimal" custom job. I would suggest, however, to build into the contract with the design house, the stipulation they provide support and upgrades to 1.2. Most reputable firms won't have a problem with that. :)

*wanders into thread*... I say users will welcome the updates coming not leave in some kind of mass exodus like is being insinuated in places in this thread.
Probably because you just wandered in and didn't read the thread Azhria, but no one has suggested or implied lots of members would leave.

I did caution that a significant number of members may react unhappily to big changes in the software. This isn't a lot to do with whether a new feature version is better or not so saying it's better so of course people will like it is irrelevant.
The new editor is a case in point. It will mean a major change in how the editor looks an feels. It may be quicker, have more options, and more direct ways of doing things. Doesnt matter. It will look different, and will need getting used to. Many members will hate that.
Ive known a great many users of software whose first reaction to any change is 'I cant do it now' When I explain the button is a bit bigger and has a circle on it instead of a dot, but it does the same thing ... still get 'I cant do it now' Very silly, very irrational, very human.
Other things are going to look different eg subforums. Quoting will act differently and surprise people.
Basically ANY change takes a while to bring people along with it.

One thing to remember is that quite apart from us knowing our way around much better, and a far higher confidence level in using the software; WE have had the advantage of HYS,and threads like these. We are doing our absorption processing right now! That's the human thing, time to absorb. So when we take it to our users, THEY will need that absorption period too. Only ordinary users need longer and look at how much we discuss new features here!

On the OP situation he's going to bring in a few thousand new seed users. Those that come in the first 3-4 months will feel pride in being founder members and knowing their way around. Veteran status. They'll enjoy giving advice to the later comers, and they will enjoy their instinctive skill in using features easily and quickly.
But suddenly after only 3-4 months it's no longer familiar, things dont do quite the same things, so that fragile new status of "in-crowd" is damaged. Confidence based on familiarity is reduced. That tension can translate in all kinds of ways, calls for help, grumpiness, rudeness, bickering, a fall in participation. I saw it happen myself.

I'd err on the side of caution if I were starting up now. I wouldn't put 1.2 with assorted addons on a live install until about 2 months after it's out of beta anyway so make very sure it's all smooth and polished. But on a brand new community I'd definitely wait to make sure there's no big changes in the first six months.

A compromise could be to run a pilot community without the major PR push to come later. Aim at a thousand or a few hundred. Make them understand they are the innovators working with you to prepare for the big rollout. Work with the current version starting in a couple of weeks when you've got the basic site sorted.
Give them a sweetie discount on the full version with 1.2 when it comes (I'm assuming there is a commercial element for the OP). Keep dropping comments about how they are so appreciated as the founding circle.
Key strategy: get them to do feedback on various features.
So when 1.2 arrives on your site (when it's safely ready for live use) you as admin will have had time to get really familar with its habits so support will be easy to do, and THEY continue almost seamlessly to do feedback as especially esteemed innovator members. They will have been primed and prepared for that role.
Then after that you have a good core membership AND 1.2 established, ready to go into full scale PR and expansion.

Probably because you just wandered in and didn't read the thread Azhria, but no one has suggested or implied lots of members would leave.
Oh I read the entire thing. Don't make assumptions. Maybe I should have said people should stop scaremongering and making claims they can't prove, instead.

*wanders into thread* ... I say users will welcome the updates coming not leave in some kind of mass exodus like is being insinuated in places in this thread.
Oh I read the entire thing. Don't make assumptions. Maybe I should have said people should stop scaremongering and making claims they can't prove, instead.

Well yes except no one scaremongered the way you said i.e. that there would be a "some kind of mass exodus."

Well yes except no one scaremongered the way you said i.e. that there would be a "some kind of mass exodus."

I thought I'd follow your lead and force people's words to fit what I want them to say *shrug* :p

Top Bottom