Should I wait for Xenforo 1.2

I guess Mobile support is frowned upon by the average person/member who is more likely to be browsing via a mobile device. Improved stability with editor must really annoy the crap out of members too and lets not forget features being refined, god why is Mike trying to alienate the average member?

The sarcasm is out of this world.

Thanks, but that's no answer to my question. ;)

The text editor switch could annoy some users who are used to the previous editor. I am not saying that it's a bad change, I actually support all 1.2 feature updates. I am just trying to say that some users simply get used to things, and get annoyed when they are even slightly changed. In this case, it's a completely new editor.

The text editor switch could annoy some users who are used to the previous editor. I am not saying that it's a bad change, I actually support all 1.2 feature updates. I am just trying to say that some users simply get used to things, and get annoyed when they are even slightly changed. In this case, it's a completely new editor.

I will maintain a list. The list so far:
  1. Editor
Any other things?

The sarcasm is out of this world.

I actually used to be very good at it, no longer.

I just can't see how members will hate the changes in 1.2 if that changed derived from 1.1.5 really I can't because they are improvements. Even admin functions benefit the members in that they give the admins more time to spend with their members due to time saving features that would have kept the admins/staff busy. But there is a long list I could post why members will see the benefit, and why 1.2 does bring benefits to members enough for them to notice and like, not hate I just can't be bothered dragging this thread out explaining when I made valid points before so I won't because this thread will end to it's inevitable conclusion when there's a classic case of "arguing for arguments sake".

We'll see how members react, but I am sure they will be happy with 1.2 and the changes it brings.

I will maintain a list. The list so far:
  1. Editor
Any other things?

I can give you one change that strikes that off the list and it's not even a big change in comparison to the other features or changes within the new editor.

- Smiley dropdown menu of death has now been eliminated.

1. Members are now able to pick smilies without having to scroll endlessly when Tinymce smiley container shot off the page causing dreadful adverse effects. Many people would have experienced this and many people didn't like this (including your average member).

I wonder how many people had to extend the width of the smiley container to minimize this adverse affect and still have to scroll?

Luxus - I insist you strike that off the list of features members will hate due to change, I'm sure they will embrace this immensely. :D

Guys, thanks very much for the replies. Yes, the question is about starting a new forum and not about waiting to buy the license. I already have the license. Ok let me break up a few of my concerns.

1. If I get a custom theme done, will it have problems after updating to 1.2
2. I just dont want to break something and screw up everything while doing this update which essentially involves tinkering of the very architecture of some of the important functions(apparently)
3. What about addons - I can hold off on adding the addons I guess - So that should be ok perhaps.

Now I am thinking - I should start the new forum with the custom theme, but maybe not get the addons in now. This way the update will hopefully be seamless when it comes in about 4 months time. I usually dont like to use the beta of anything.

Mind you, in 4 months I know my fresh forum will already have 3000 real(not spam) members. I know some people here may frown on this - but yes I am as BH as they get and I know how to get a venture kick-started :) - have done some tests too!

Guys, thanks very much for the replies. Yes, the question is about starting a new forum and not about waiting to buy the license. I already have the license. Ok let me break up a few of my concerns.

2. I just dont want to break something and screw up everything while doing this update which essentially involves tinkering of the very architecture of some of the important functions(apparently)
3. What about addons - I can hold off on adding the addons I guess - So that should be ok perhaps.

Now I am thinking - I should start the new forum with the custom theme, but maybe not get the addons in now. This way the update will hopefully be seamless when it comes in about 4 months time. I usually dont like to use the beta of anything.

Mind you, in 4 months I know my fresh forum will already have 3000 real(not spam) members. I know some people here may frown on this - but yes I am as BH as they get and I know how to get a venture kick-started :) - have done some tests too!

1. I can easily say that your custom theme will have some problems when xenForo updates to 1.2. Since the update brings in a responsive design, which means many default templates may be changed. Furthermore, lots of smaller features have been added that you'll also have to look out for.

2. ^

3. Some addons may need an update, but addons like the sitemap and others that don't essentially change any of the integral parts of xenForo should be fine.

1. If you make most of your style edits in style properties and Extra.css for your custom theme it'll take you about (1-2 minutes) to update and revert templates. Depends on the custom edits your wanting to make but mainly, alot of nice enhancements to themes can be done within EXTRA.CSS template where this template is never overwritten during xenforo updates.

3. Some add-ons (as stated may need an update) some may very well not but on the chance that they do the 3rd party developers here are very quick in releasing any fixes so you won't be waiting long. The likes of Chris Deeming, Syndol, Luke Foreman, Bobste65, Waindigo, Borbole, Extra License, and many others have always made fixes quickly, sometimes within seconds of release.

There isn't much to hate, really.

Switching from one forum system to another (such as vb to XenForo) invites criticism from members. Forum software upgrades, on the other hand, rarely do. I've run web forums since 1997 and was a moderator at CompuServe for several years prior to that, and haven't experienced any "mass hatred" when upgrading anything. Far from it.

The only thing is, there are always those 0.0001% of members who hate everything, no matter what....and it's pointless to pander to that kind of mentality.

I guess Mobile support is frowned upon by the average person/member who is more likely to be browsing via a mobile device. Improved stability with editor must really annoy the crap out of members too and lets not forget features being refined, god why is Mike trying to alienate the average member?

Sarcasm....

Anyhow, the only reason I wouldn't like the update is the different editor - but I'm one of those strange people that hate change no matter if it's good change.

Sarcasm....

Anyhow, the only reason I wouldn't like the update is the different editor - but I'm one of those strange people that hate change no matter if it's good change.

Also, is it me or has this topic gone a bit off topic from the OP?

It's not gone off-topic. If anything it has remained on-topic as it still relates to the OP question.

For what? You asked a question I responded, you seem to have an issue and trying to derail the thread.

Before this does become off topic, I'm just going to say that the way you spoke just then wasn't as nice as it could have been and it sort of upset me.

*wanders into thread* FWIW, starting a new forum on 1.1.5 would be a good move, it'll give you a chance to get to know the software and 1.2 isn't that far away. The updates/changes/updates coming in 1.2 are all beneficial and anyone who thinks that members are going to hate them is ridiculous, mainly because most of the changes are admin-specific and won't affect users in disruptive ways. Having run forums for over 10 years, I'm confident when I say users will welcome the updates coming not leave in some kind of mass exodus like is being insinuated in places in this thread.

To sum up.... do it .. do it now :D

Report my post if it upset you. :LOL:

Unfortunately Shelly, most people won't understand why it upset me and nothing will be done about it. *sigh* this happens on every forum I go on.

Now, back ON topic.

(And I need to get revising and do my homework, exams tomorrow!)

Unfortunately Shelly, most people won't understand why it upset me and nothing will be done about it. *sigh* this happens on every forum I go on.
I honestly can't figure out how her response would offend anyone. Also with there being only one common thing with all these forums that this happens on should give you an idea on what the problem is...

Top Bottom