s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.0

No permission to download
I don't know how important the Lighthouse score is to site owners
It should be top priority to every admin since site speed influences Google ranking as well as user bounce rate. It's critical.

I have an unrelated question about the Amazon embed. Can the title be truncated to avoid situations like this, please?
1.webp

The medium embed seems to be a bit busted, with the repeating logo at the top left corner.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 12.42.15 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 12.42.15 PM.webp
    97.7 KB · Views: 18
<can be ignored>it would be great if youtube embeds load on a manual action like tab/click instead of on-focus in browser. twitter mobile web app does the same thing i think.

It should be top priority to every admin since site speed influences Google ranking as well as user bounce rate. It's critical.
Sure, I was more thinking about the score in itself rather than the user experience. It's possible to improve the Lighthouse score while at the same time making the user experience worse, so I'm wondering how much people are willing to sacrifice to improve their score.

I've experimented with a minimalistic "click to load" approach since your previous post and I intend to add it as an option in the next minor release.

I have an unrelated question about the Amazon embed. Can the title be truncated to avoid situations like this, please?
No, that's part of Amazon's page so there's nothing we can do about it. With that said, the text is automatically truncated with an ellipsis in my browsers. I checked Amazon's code and they do it in JavaScript.

The medium embed seems to be a bit busted, with the repeating logo at the top left corner.
No, that's part of Medium's style. Actually that logo has been that way for quite a long time and I think Medium has more or less abandoned their embedded page.

No, that's part of Medium's style. Actually that logo has been that way for quite a long time and I think Medium has more or less abandoned their embedded page.
Ah, thats a shame. Is there any way to disable the embed then? I was trying to look for it in the settings but couldn't locate it.

Hi, I need help. Whenever I try to embed a twitch channel it shows an error that says that the embedding configuration is wrong. Twitch was working perfectly 2 weeks ago. Any idea how to solve?

If I use the web developer console on Firefox there's an error
Code:
parent query string value was not specified

Twitch changed their embedded page yesterday in a way that makes it significantly harder to use. I'm evaluating possible solutions and I'll publish an update asap.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Added "click-to-load" option. Updated Audiomack and Twitch

Added a new option to replace the YouTube player with a lightweight placeholder. The placeholder is a single image with no text that loads and starts the YouTube player when clicked.

Updated Audiomack and Twitch. Note that the new Twitch embed only works on HTTPS sites that are served on port 443 at the moment. Hopefully Twitch will relax those restrictions.

Obsolete workarounds for the Vimeo...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Stuart Wright @OperaManiac Check out the new release, the option can be found under the add-on's option, labeled "Replace embedded video players with a lightweight placeholder where available". I'm very satisfied with how much it resembles YouTube's player beside the obvious lack of video title, with just a bit of CSS.

View attachment 227618View attachment 227619
Many thanks. The performance score has gone from 32 to 48 on the page I linked to above. Obviously that's a significant improvement.

Will this display our own Mixer channel as we do a lot of streaming?
If you post the link to your channel it will be converted to a player.

Is it possible to integrate LBRY yet ?
Decentralized websites are often harder to implement and maintain, that's why I don't have any immediate plans to support LBRY. I'll reconsider if LBRY gets massively popular or if somebody wants to sponsor its addition. If that's your case, you can send me a message and I'll look into it.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Improved click-to-load placeholder, updated Twitch, other internal changes

• An option has been added to display the video's title in the placeholder used when "click-to-load" is enabled.
  • The option to disable auto-embedding links on a per-site basis has been extended to all media sites.
  • Twitch has been updated to support new clip URLs.
  • The add-on's CSS has been split on a per-feature basis to reduce its size when some features are disabled.

A word about adding video titles to the "click-to-load" placeholders. The name of the video is...

Read the rest of this update entry...

haha thanks for this. it was kind of getting confusy without title. though youtube region restriction is still a mess. player shows the thumbnail but video would still not play. some videos have show error image but they still play. and of course videos that go dead after embedding are still all over my board. no easy way to locate them.

update. whoa the slowdown in fetching info through oembed is massive on first load! do update the cache to unlimited folks 😄
update 2. longer titles are going outside the player width. is this a caching issue with css? :D
update 3. so the videos where title is going outside the player have another problem. the layer over the video used by the text also extends to a much larger area which blocks access to content and links in that area. took me a while to realize that this was only happening on videos with longer titles that goes outside the videos.

Last edited:
Word for warning; switching to suddenly using oembed causes a cache slam as the oembed's are fetched in a blocking way from XF. This can cause php-fpm worker exhaustion which makes your entire site unreachable or unusable, and can cause hilarious amounts of IO due to how it tries to cache the json oembed file to disk.

@Xon Do you mean that in theory or is that something you witnessed after enabling it in the add-on? If that's something that happened on your board, what was the approximate number of current users?

From what I've seen of XenForo's oEmbed service, as soon as it receives a request, a dummy entry is committed to the database. That should cause any identical request to return an empty title for the video until the service receives YouTube's response and updates the database entry with real data. Barring any race condition, that should limit the number of concurrent fetch to one per unique video ID. If that's still enough to cause issues in a real-world scenario, I'll consider adding some cheap mitigations.

my oembed logs already have more than 10k entries for youtube videos since i enabled this functionality few hours ago :p . loading a thead page with more than a few youtube videos takes like 10 seconds. second loads are fine. my server is pretty underpowered but i also have very limited traffic so i haven't seen any timeouts or anything. i assume most of the oembed data for popular threads would be cached in a day or two.

update. just realized that the oembed folder on my b2 bucket is now full of thousands of json files. are these also being used on every youtube embed? or they are just created by xenforo by default? because i saw that oembed data is also stored in database where video title and other information is indeed available. this is sort of a small problem for me because b2 is quite slow compared to using DO Spaces in the same region if every youtube embed is fetching the json file from internal_data folder!

Last edited:
Top Bottom