s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.3

No permission to download
So what exactly does this mean? 😂
It's entirely technical. Sometimes the add-on needs to download the link you're trying to embed. Here, it saves a copy of the page in the cache in case it can be reused. In most cases it will not make any difference. For me, it simplifies running some tests. That's all.

I'm only documenting it because I don't want to publish a mystery update that does unspecified stuff or creates unspecified files without warning.

It's entirely technical. Sometimes the add-on needs to download the link you're trying to embed. Here, it saves a copy of the page in the cache in case it can be reused. In most cases it will not make any difference. For me, it simplifies running some tests. That's all.

I'm only documenting it because I don't want to publish a mystery update that does unspecified stuff or creates unspecified files without warning.
Cool. Thanks for the clarification. Most appreciated! :)

Hey, I went to update my version (to my 2.1 Xenforo board) and for the first time got an error message that 'Could not process s9e-MediaSites-2.7.19.zip: The following requirements for s9e/MediaSites were not met: s9e/MediaSites requires PHP 7.4.0+.'

Not a techie, just sharing - I'm assuming if I want to update in the future I'll have to upgrade my php version?

Yes. I forgot to make a note of it but I have raised the add-on's requirement to PHP 7.4.0 because I don't have access to anything older anymore.

Ask your webhost about upgrading your PHP to a current version. I think that XenForo 2.1 works on PHP 8.0 and 8.1 but I'd recommend doublechecking it for 8.1. Same for your other software, if you have very old software installed, they may need to be updated to work on PHP 8.x.

Thanks for the great add-on. Can I somehow control the position of the embedded video in a post? I would like to show it in the center all the time?
I've noticed the extra.less line:
[data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube"] { max-width: 1280px !important; }

Can I stretch it to more than 1280px?

In addition, Is it possible to position the floating video (e.g. Youtube) a bit up from its current location? It goes over the up/down arrows we have for scrolling in its current position, so the arrows are shown on the video itself (we also added a down-scrolling button). It also does that with the XF's default style:

1665411493238.png

Thanks

Last edited:
Can I stretch it to more than 1280px?
You can put any value, it could be 1600px or even 100%. That section of the FAQ was outdated though, here's the corrected version:
CSS:
[data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube"] { width: 1280px !important; }
If you prefer all of the videos to take up as much screen as possible, go to the add-on's options and enable the option titled Enable full-width embeds by default.

I would like to show it in the center all the time?
The embeds follow the same rules as normal text, which means you can individually change their alignment using the "Alignment" button in the editor. If you want all of the embeds to be in the center, it's certainly possible in CSS (via extra.less) but I don't know what the best way would be. The following works for me:
CSS:
[data-s9e-mediaembed]
{
    display: block !important;
    margin: auto;
}
You'll lose the ability to place two embeds on the same line but if you want them to take up all of the available space that shouldn't be a problem.

Is it possible to position the floating video (e.g. Youtube) a bit up from its current location?
I like the miniplayer's placement, that's why I made sure the arrows remain usable (on top) when they appear. I don't know whether there's a better way to make them interact. You can experiment for yourself in CSS with something like this:
CSS:
@media (orientation: landscape)
{
	.s9e-miniplayer-active    > iframe,
	.s9e-miniplayer-active-tn > iframe
	{
		bottom: 60px !important;
	}
}

You can put any value, it could be 1600px or even 100%. That section of the FAQ was outdated though, here's the corrected version:
CSS:
If you prefer all of the videos to take up as much screen as possible, go to the add-on's options and enable the option titled Enable full-width embeds by default.

The embeds follow the same rules as normal text, which means you can individually change their alignment using the "Alignment" button in the editor. If you want all of the embeds to be in the center, it's certainly possible in CSS (via extra.less) but I don't know what the best way would be. The following works for me:
CSS:
[data-s9e-mediaembed]
{
    display: block !important;
    margin: auto;
}
You'll lose the ability to place two embeds on the same line but if you want them to take up all of the available space that shouldn't be a problem.

I like the miniplayer's placement, that's why I made sure the arrows remain usable (on top) when they appear. I don't know whether there's a better way to make them interact. You can experiment for yourself in CSS with something like this:
CSS:
@media (orientation: landscape)
{
    .s9e-miniplayer-active    > iframe,
    .s9e-miniplayer-active-tn > iframe
    {
        bottom: 60px !important;
    }
}
Great, thank you very much! that worked for me.

Do I need to add a CSS for the custom size for every provider separately, or there is something I can do globally to take into account all embedded media? I meant this line:

And a suggestion for the floating video such as youtube (not sure the difficulty): activate floating video automatically upon scrolling when the video is playing (of course can enable/disable it via ACP).

If you remove the ="youtube" part it will affect all embeds from this add-on, but some embeds (tweets, for example) are not meant to be that wide and may look weird. I think you can target all embeds that don't require any special styling with the following:
CSS:
[data-s9e-mediaembed]:not(style) { width: 1280px !important; }

If you remove the ="youtube" part it will affect all embeds from this add-on, but some embeds (tweets, for example) are not meant to be that wide and may look weird. I think you can target all embeds that don't require any special styling with the following:
CSS:
[data-s9e-mediaembed]:not(style) { width: 1280px !important; }
Yeah, you're right. I just tried twitter and Instagram and they are too large. I will do each one separately, Thanks.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Updated Facebook and social media sites

This update contains many small changes that are purely technical and shouldn't have any visible effect, and it adds support for Facebook "pfbid" URLs. If you do not care about or use Facebook, you can stop reading there.

Concerning Facebook, it has come to my attention that they have recently started obfuscating their URLs, encrypting them with an unspecified algorithm that generates a different value every time. According to Facebook's public announcement, this change was effected to deter what they call "unauthorized scraping" and is meant to "protect people’s privacy". Cynics will be quick to remark that Facebook's business is based on monetizing its users' information, and that change just happens to interfere with Firefox's query parameter stripping, a privacy-enhancing feature that had been released just a few weeks prior, casting doubt on whether encrypting a URL's identifier is meant to protect users or optimize Facebook's money maker. Facebook/Meta denied via a spokeperson that this has anything to do with blocking privacy features.

Starting with this version, embedding content using Facebook "pfbid" URLs is now supported. The add-on will attempt to revert the encrypted value to its canonical ID whenever possible.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
I installed this mod this morning to test it out. If I have an amazon associates account, should I put my tag in all the configuration fields for all the different TLDs, or only for the .COM (the one I registered the account with)?

What does the 'Enable full-width embeds by default' option do? Aren't the embeds responsive to the browser width already?

I believe that Amazon has different associate tags for each TLD or group of TLD. You'd need to check with them whether you can use your .com tag on a .it URL.

Embeds are limited to 640px by default. If you enable full width, they can take the screen's entire width, even on desktop.

Reactions: cwe
I looked into Bloomberg videos but the ID they use to embed videos is not found in its canonical URL, and Bloomberg blocks automated attempts to retrieve it. So basically, in order to support normal URLs I'd have to fool their bot detection, but that's brittle and a maintenance burden. That's why I currently have no plans to support Bloomberg videos.

@JoshyPHP

YouTube videos are not playing anymore on Safari 16.1. Just updated on macOS Ventura and Safari got an update too. Videos are playing in Firefox.

It loads normally in Safari on iOS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom