s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
I'll echo Chromaniac's posts; This generally happens when tweets are deleted or hidden/private. If you send me the link to such a tweet, I may be able to confirm it.

Same for Facebook. If you send me a link I may be able to confirm it. There's a possibility that your browser blocks social networks by default, too.

Hi
One of my members suggested that I install this add on.
My forum is very news and politics orientated.
My members post lots of links to news sites and Twitter and Youtibe etc

I have downlaoded the zip file
And I know how to install Addons
But If I install it what happens then
Do I have to do anything as admin?
What will my members see, that they don't see now?
The overview does not explain it very well to me.

Thanks

it should work automatically as soon as you install iirc. and there are some settings you can change from the addon options.

this addon basically enable embedding of lot more link types compared to what xenforo offers out of the box.

XenForo has a feature called BB code media sites. It converts links from a handful of predefined sites into some sort of integrated content so instead of having a text link to a YouTube video you have YouTube's player right there on the page. It also allows admins to create their own custom definitions to add support for more sites. That's what this add-on does: it adds support for more sites such as podcast players, social networks, and others.

Another important feature in this add-on is its lazy loader. Instead of loading every piece of embedded content (e.g. videos, tweets, etc...) at once, it only loads what's visible on the screen. If you have some sort of thread that compiles tweets or videos on a given topic (e.g. a current event) you can easily have a few dozen videos and tweets on the same page. Without this add-on it can take forever to load, sometimes the tweets that appear on the page push the other content down (Google calls it Cumulative Layout Shift) and it's a bad experience. With the add-on, the page loads instantly and the layout remains stable.

Thanks for that guys
I just installed it, so well see how it works
That were some good explanations of what it does

Question: Does this work with say, unlisted SoundCloud uploads? Say I wanted to record an audio version of my blog but not need a podcast host.
Or, even, unlisted podcast sites I guess, like podbean?

Because, I tried uploading a mp3 to a google drive folder with sharing set to 'anyone with the link' but the default URL it makes, the insert media window says this:
1656019003289.webp

This is the URL (test audio, not an actual audio for the post):

EDIT: Is there a way to change the height of say, Google Sheets embeds?

Last edited:
The Google Drive link works fine for me. The embed is dimensioned for 16:9 videos, so it has lots of empty space.

You can change the size of any embeds (Sheets and Drive are different sites btw) in CSS, globally. Not on a per-post basis.
That's a rip, any future plans or possibility to define height in the bbcode? Like
Code:
[MEDIA=googlesheets,500px]
or something?

EDIT: Tried this (in extra.less for my theme, Carbon):
Code:
// Embed Tweaks - S9Media Addon
[data-s9e-mediaembed="googlesheet"] { max-height: 500px !important; }
and did a CTRL + F5 but saw no changes.

Last edited:
No plans for custom sizing in either Google Sheets or Google Drive.

You should look into using SoundCloud, and if that doesn't work then you should be looking for a way to embed your own audio player. I see some add-ons that would fit in that category but I don't know which one(s) would be best. If you ask in the general forum, you may find someone who solved the same issue.

No plans for custom sizing in either Google Sheets or Google Drive.

You should look into using SoundCloud, and if that doesn't work then you should be looking for a way to embed your own audio player. I see some add-ons that would fit in that category but I don't know which one(s) would be best. If you ask in the general forum, you may find someone who solved the same issue.
We only have 50gb storage on our VPS at the moment, so we want to keep that for image attachments and such. Eventually we plan to get a DO Space for 250gb for 5/mo, but that's down the road. My co-owner does all the super technical stuff but his internet isn't setup at new place yet. Is JW Player installable on linux VPS?

Not really, no. I've tried disabling autoplay at the browser level via a feature policy but it's not being obeyed by any browsers as far as I can tell.
hey joshy, i hate to circle back around to this but its driving the members nuts. if we can't disable auto play is there maybe a way to institute an auto-mute type of feature to disable sound on all embeds until specifically requested?

No, there's no mute control. All these policies are handled at the browser level and I'm not aware of any work to implement anything like that in HTML.

I'm having a hard time getting Reddit embeds to auto-play unmuted on my computer. After a few tries, I managed it on Firefox in normal-not-incognito mode, but only after unmuting it once. Otherwise, it remembers that it was muted the last time it was loaded. (it's saved locally in localStorage under the key default_reddit_video_pool.muted) On Chrome, it only autoplays if muted and if it was left unmuted it does not autoplay; It's one or the other. I see a lot of what-looks-like-decision-points related to autoplay and muting in Reddit's code, so it's possible that having it autoplay unmuted was not intended by them. Hard to tell since all I'm reading is minified code.

Ask the users who consistently see Reddit embeds autoplay unmuted what browser they use and send me the Reddit URL of the thing that autoplays unmuted. It almost certainly won't help with anything, but it could be useful.

Theoretically, it's possible that Reddit's video player can be asked to mute itself via a message event but I can't find any API/doc about their video player.

Top Bottom