s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
Hi @JoshyPHP - Is there a way to add in an alternate code for, say, Twitter?

Reason being in the early days we had our own "tweet" media code, but now we use "twitter". So all the old media=tweet codes are dead.

Should we just copy the content of the "twitter" code to a new media code called "tweet"?

If your old "tweet" media site used the same format as the new one (using only the tweet's ID) then yes, if you copy the settings it should work identically.

Alternatively, you may use the Post Content Find / Replace add-on to replace the old media=tweet embeds with media=twitter. Make sure they're compatible first before changing the old ones.

Hi @JoshyPHP, This may be a dumb question, but how is this product going to work in conjunction with FURLing in XF 2.1? Will they step on each other?

As I recall, media sites take precedence. If you post a supported URL, it is automatically converted into a media embed. If it's not supported, it gets unfurled.

I'm seeing IMDB videos autostart (on browsers that aren't configured to automatically block that sort of thing). I checked your template and a no auto start parameter is already being passed (I can't remember the exact variable name). Not sure if they changed their code or if they are just ignoring it now if it comes from a remote site other than one of their properties.

Interesting. The "Embed" URL given by their player hasn't changed, they must have an issue with the way they configure their JWPlayer. I'll see if it can disabled at the browser level but I don't expect it will help. If you feel lucky, you can try sending a message to iMDB, see if they want to fix it.

For me amazon product pages don't unfurl properly with this addon in 2.1. It's just a blank post for me. If I disable this addon, it works.

Unfurling is different from media sites and only applies to URLs that are not handled by a specific media site. You probably get a blank page because you have an adblocker that blocks requests to Amazon products. If you don't want to embed Amazon products, you can disable media sites individually without disabling the add-on as a whole.

Unfurling is different from media sites and only applies to URLs that are not handled by a specific media site. You probably get a blank page because you have an adblocker that blocks requests to Amazon products. If you don't want to embed Amazon products, you can disable media sites individually without disabling the add-on as a whole.
I use FF and adblock does hide certain elements, but all I can tell you is if I have your addon enabled, amazon products pages throws a blank post. If I disable it, it unfurls ok (differently depending on if adblocker is active). What can I say?

Yes, it's probably blank because of your adblocker prevents the iframe from loading. You can disable your adblocker, whitelist the site or disable the Amazon media site and rely on XenForo's "unfurl" feature, if your adblocker doesn't block it.

Yes, it's probably blank because of your adblocker prevents the iframe from loading. You can disable your adblocker, whitelist the site or disable the Amazon media site and rely on XenForo's "unfurl" feature, if your adblocker doesn't block it.
After some more testing you are right, it is adblocker. What confused me was that with the addon disabled it also can't render the media snippets anymore. So this shows two kinda big problems. Anyone with adblocker doesn't see the snippets or links or anything and that is a pretty large percentage and the second issue is that you become dependent on keeping this addon active. The second you disable it, it renders all those media links broken/invisible. It should still show the link when disabled.

I don't control how disabled media sites are handled, this is a standard feature of XenForo. XenForo replaces URLs with a MEDIA BBCode (you can see it by editing old posts) so it won't be able to replace them with a URL. You can edit old posts or use an automated replacement like Post Content Find / Replace to replace MEDIA=amazon BBCodes with URL links but it's going to take a couple of runs to replace everything.

With that said, I think it's simpler to let users choose whether or not they want to block content from Amazon. People who want to see them can whitelist the site or disable the Amazon rules in their adblocker.

I don't control how disabled media sites are handled, this is a standard feature of XenForo. XenForo replaces URLs with a MEDIA BBCode (you can see it by editing old posts) so it won't be able to replace them with a URL. You can edit old posts or use an automated replacement like Post Content Find / Replace to replace MEDIA=amazon BBCodes with URL links but it's going to take a couple of runs to replace everything.

Yeah that is a bit unfortunate. Not your fault, but unfortunate. I just think people should know if they have a big active board and in a year or two decide to disable this addon, they either have a gigantic amount of work to do or they have a ton of broken or invisible content.

With that said, I think it's simpler to let users choose whether or not they want to block content from Amazon. People who want to see them can whitelist the site or disable the Amazon rules in their adblocker.

Pure Amazon links are never blocked. I love how the amazon pages render with this addon, but it's not worth the risk. Better to keep with just plain links or unfurling where it will always be seen. The chance for confusion is too great. I mean, I am decently savvy and it took me some work to figure out adblocker was blocking amazon snippets. The average user isn't going to play detective or even know they are missing something. It would be different if there was a replacement image that said "hey btw, this content was blocked".

I'm a bit surprised no one has brought these issues up yet.

yup. i do not use this plugin for amazon links as they are blocked by ad blockers. unfurl is definitely a better option for amazon links!

My backend shows that I disabled BBC News sometime in the recent years. I guess some url did not embed properly. It is not a source that I post regularly. So not sure if it is fixed or not. I am quite excited about the unfurl feature. Though one annoying thing about it is that the link title (or content) is not searchable from the search bar. But then the same applies for embeds :)

Top Bottom