XF 1.5 Responsive admin control panel

Welcome to the first Have You Seen thread for XenForo 1.5. Over the next few weeks, we'll be posting more of these to show you how the new features in XenForo 1.5 are going to work. We expect to install XenForo 1.5 on XenForo.com for initial testing by early July, with a public beta process to follow.

Today, we're going to look at the responsive admin control panel. XenForo 1.2 made the public-facing components fully responsive, supporting screen sizes from desktops and tablets of varying sizes to phones. The admin control panel remained designed solely for full-size desktop screens. If you were in a pinch and needed to make a change in the control panel on your phone, you could, but it was far from efficient as you zoomed in and out and scrolled left to right to be able to read the page.

In XenForo 1.5, we've extended the responsive framework to the entire control panel. While it's unlikely that you'll want to edit a template on your phone, it should be much easier to take other actions in the control panel when you can't get to your laptop.

Here are a few assorted screenshots of how it will look.

upload_2015-6-9_13-9-9.webp

upload_2015-6-9_13-10-42.webp

upload_2015-6-9_13-11-14.webp

upload_2015-6-9_13-12-2.webp

We've also changed the tabs on more recent mobile devices to be somewhat more compact than just one per row, but to also use space efficiently:

upload_2015-6-9_13-15-39.webp

For add-on developers, most pages based off of forms or "filter lists" will automatically work. However, if your page is based on a layout that requires more horizontal space, you may need to make changes. For pages using data tables, this may mean hiding data or allowing the table to be scrollable, which can be done easily with some new responsive helper classes.

Keep an eye out for the next XenForo 1.5 feature reveal soon!

I've been accessing the adminCP from my mobile for long time and the admin CP search is something I use quite often. That's why I'm curious to see how it looks in the new layout. #canWaitThough.

I'm just going to say that I don't like the look of those screen shots - I much prefer the method the current add-on uses...

Anyway, still, nice that it's been included.

Liam

Last month, 53% of sessions to AVForums were on desktop, 32% on mobile and 15% on tablets.
I expect admins have a similar behaviour and, like me, spend a lot of time administering the site on mobile or tablet.
First thing I do in the morning is pick up my phone and deal with users in the moderation queue.
Is that an off-canvas menu I see in the images in post #1? That's good to see. I think we also need an off canvas menu in the default style front end.
Also nice to see an interim release before 2.0 and to know that the guys are making the right choices WRT timing.

Last edited by a moderator:
When to expect a release? without alpha's, beta's
After updating XF1.5 in case will be error — easy fix to version 1.4.7.
They've never announced a date for the gold release, and probably won't, if the date was missed people would throw fits.

Also, they've never offered any way to downgrade other than using a backup. That's why you test upgrades on a test site before doing it on your live site.

Been trying to get into using Xenforo again and noticed I've been logging onto the admin cp through my mobile a lot more, so this update is really nice to see. Good work guys.

Top Bottom