Implemented Redactor Jquery editor instead of Tinymce

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Then how do you install it and get it working for Xenforo?

If you can figure to what extent TinyMCE is integrated into XenForo, that's where you start from.

If you want it, but XenForo doesn't want it, you'd still need a license to use it.

FWIW, I've not hidden my disdain for TinyMCE.

Conversely, I have actually worked quite a lot with Redactor recently. I actually have access to the private GitHub repo, but unfortunately they don't actually use it. They have a beta of version 9, which changes quite a lot of the underlying code. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually work properly yet (couldn't insert new lines in IE for example), but I'm a big fan of Redactor. I've generally been able to work around or fix any issues in it, which is completely different from what I could say about TinyMCE's code base...

FWIW, I've not hidden my disdain for TinyMCE.

Conversely, I have actually worked quite a lot with Redactor recently. I actually have access to the private GitHub repo, but unfortunately they don't actually use it. They have a beta of version 9, which changes quite a lot of the underlying code. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually work properly yet (couldn't insert new lines in IE for example), but I'm a big fan of Redactor. I've generally been able to work around or fix any issues in it, which is completely different from what I could say about TinyMCE's code base...
So basically, you have it working on Xenforo?

I NEED THAT.
Then buy it.
For test purpose, a version (may be older) is available here as quoted in another post.

No, haven't done anything with it in XF.
When you will do, please think about including a button manager for us ;) It seems users also needs three mains functions: autosave, plain text & full screen.

If you find time to answer the next question: what do you think about this editor API, is it as much open as the ones of TinyMCE or ckeditor?
Because the XenForo integration of TinyMCE is really nice (except the Tiny MCE official inline popups & some missing fix with the parser)... especially for a html editor which is using Bb Code in the background. And this integration was possible thanks to an opened API => which explains the reason of my question.

The cost for a software distributor to include Redactor in it's distributable product is a one time fee of $399, for unlimited distribution's. Hardly a huge investment for XF, with as many licenses as they sell. What is that?...(3) XF licenses, for virtually unlimited redistribution rights to incorporate Redactor into their core software? Looks like a pretty fair deal.

I believe that it would be $99 not $399, given that we're not reselling XF.

I wonder if the real solution is setting up the current editor as a plugin? Instead of making any editor the permanent and only editor, make it extensible so that different editors can be (relatively) easy to integrate into XenForo using plugins.

I could see a LOT of breakage occurring because of that. Think of how much ties into the editor, and now you want to make it a plugin that could conceivably conflict with other plugins.

Redactor is just fantastic, totally worth the investment, it will make XenForo 10x better!
Plus it would make things even faster than before.

Top Bottom