No more pre-loading of TinyMCE editor please, saves page load

Luxus

*UPDATE*

After I seeing not much enthusiasm towards this suggestion, I suggest this to be added the way, that you can choose in the ACP between a pre-loaded quick reply editor and a not pre-loaded quick reply editor. I'm positive that this would please everyone :)

I figured that the TinyMCE editor in "quick reply mode" has its own share of loading time. Whenever someone with posting permission visits a thread, the TinyMCE editor gets pre-loaded. This process takes some time and can even cause lags. You can't expect every user to post in a thread when visited. Many users are just going to read and then leave.

Users would get a more pleasant reading experience if the TinyMCE editor is only loaded when clicking at it. IPB is doing this and in my opinion XenForo should do this too.

That's how the Editor looks in IPB:
editor.webp

And this is how the Editor looks like after clicking at the empty white field:
editor2.webp

Please show your support for this as everyone would benefit from a better performance.
Cheers

Upvote 0
I'm agreeing with Forsaken.

Sure we could just not pre-load it but then I have to click the textarea, wait for it to load (there will be a waiting time as it loads up) and then reply. This is unintuitive as it forces the user to wait before posting.

Now, we pre-load it and they can reply quickly.
Did you actually read my post? You don't have to wait for it to load. You can write immediately after the 1 click that you also have to do with a pre-loaded one anyway. There is absolutely no waiting time. Go to IPB and try it for yourself.

Bringing up social media widgets is to point out that they have a bigger impact than the editor, which you ignore every time it is brought up.
Because social media widgets haven't anything to do with this suggestion and can be disabled any time. They are completly off-topic here.

My opinion has not changed, the fact of the matter is that there is no benefit to not pre-loading the editor as their isn't much of an impact on pageload
No benefit would be if there wasn't any impact at all, but you said youself that there isn't much of an impact, implying that there is indeed impact, but only a small one. You are basically contradicting yourself in the same sentence.

(Again, pageload is increased more by the social media widgets than the editor), so there is no need to stop pre-loading the editor.
Social media widgets can be disabled, leaving only the load of the editor behind. Please don't bring up social media widgets anymore in this conversation.

Did you actually read my post? You don't have to wait for it to load. You can write immediately after the 1 click that you also have to do with a pre-loaded one anyway. There is absolutely no waiting time. Go to IPB and try it for yourself.
You recommend not pre-loading the editor.

Click textarea - pause for a second whilst the JS loads - pause for another second whilst the RTE actually renders in the browser.

As opposed to: Click textarea.

You recommend not pre-loading the editor.

Click textarea - pause for a second whilst the JS loads - pause for another second whilst the RTE actually renders in the browser.

As opposed to: Click textarea.
I have the impression that you quite honestly didn't get what I was explaining. You don't have to pause for the JS or anything else. You can write immediately in the quick reply box. You can write while the editor loads. Did you try it out for yourself as I suggested you to do?

Maybe load it when the user scrolls to near the bottom of the page, would probably load in time for use

And maybe also load it after a delay of x seconds in addition to the scrolling trigger

Maybe load it when the user scrolls to near the bottom of the page, would probably load in time for use

And maybe also load it after a delay of x seconds in addition to the scrolling trigger
Hm..this is better than nothing but still for users who aren't going to post anything the editor will be loaded automatically on the last post of a thread. Users should decide for themselves when something that waits for user input should be loaded imo. The search box is also loaded on user's request.

Top Bottom