Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

Before the $40 license renewal fee extended your license for 12 months from the last expiry date.

Now it extends it for 12 months from the renewal date.

And that is what I had thought, and I much prefer it this way now. I would have bought a license yesterday if this was the case from the start. Now I will just observe things for the next year most likely while things grow.

Glad XF listened tho. It would have been horrible if it was the other way.

For me, Hornstar's entire argument is illogical (I can't see how he liked the the $40/$60 60 days but not xf's $40/$80 9 month setup - makes no sense).

The text on the XenForo website is clear, it's 12 months whether you pay $40 and renew within 9 months of it expiring, or you pay the re-activation fee of $80 after 9 months:

That has since been updated, and improved. You can see my previous posts to see what it was before. It is much improved now.

I don't see needing a new version of XF a total incentive. Sure there are new updates, big fixes, etc..

But this reactivation fee doesn't address multiple license holders, or provide them any benefits.

This is one thing I and many at vB disliked. We played a HUGE part with multiple licenses and never had a incentive to renew.
I think you know Ashley that in a B2B transaction. They always lower prices or have a "special" B2B price.

I think XF needs this for multiple license holders.

This is why I held off buying more licenses last day. I noticed this reactivation fee, and on top of that realized there is no special incentive to multiple license holders.
For the moment, this is how it is going to be. It is fair and reasonable, although I understand this is not the case in your opinion.

Thanks Ashley for the update to the licensing structure. Definitely seems fairer now.
I still would like the reactivation fee put in a more prominent position
(IE - Alongside the $40 - on the purchase page).
At the moment you have to click on a small link to get access to that information - seems as though it is hidden away.

For the moment, this is how it is going to be. It is fair and reasonable, although I understand this is not the case in your opinion.

Well I guess if not enough members care... then that's just the way it is...

I still don't agree with having no incentives for multiple license holders.

Too bad not enough of them have stated anything. Either they are scared, don't scare or are not affected.

I really hope that you'll reconsider the whole reactivation idea later on. vBulletin didn't do it like this until IB took over and it didn't have any problems, and IPS still does it the same way that vBulletin used to and doesn't have any problems.

Even you admitted that most customers keep their licenses active, is it really right or worth it to punish the few who don't?

I really hope that you'll reconsider the whole reactivation idea later on. vBulletin didn't do it like this until IB took over and it didn't have any problems, and IPS still does it the same way that vBulletin used to and doesn't have any problems.

Even you admitted that most customers keep their licenses active, is it really right or worth it to punish the few who don't?

I agree.

I mean Ashley. How do you know how many people will or will not renew? I personally think it's best to wait till the 1 yr is up. Then see how people react to renewals themselves. If a lot of people are normally renewing, then you don't need to implement this fee. And sure, if the stats show that not a lot of people are renewing, then implementing the fee seems resonable.

To me it's almost as if you and XF don't trust us on renewals. That's how I view this fee, that members won't renew.

I know I can't change the fee myself, but I'd say it sounds better to wait till it is renewal time. That way you can see the renewal ratio.

I agree
To me it's almost as if you and XF don't trust us on renewals. That's how I view this fee, that members won't renew.

I agree. And considering IIRC Ashley saying that only a small percentage will be affected, why bother having it at all? It only puts more doubt into those that would have usually not have been affected anyway.

I think the license structure has improved alot already, but it can still be improved further.

1. Scrap the fee
2. give some kind of incentive for bulk order people in their renewals.

Obviously you have a business to run and you want to make as much money (don't we all).

I think it is early days for XF and the more competitive and incentives you guys have early on the better for everyone in the long run. I'd imagine some kind of price change in the future to reflect the market/economy/software but right now I think implementing 1 and 2 would be a huge plus.

I agree.

I mean Ashley. How do you know how many people will or will not renew?

They'll all likely have a really good idea from all the years that vBulletin was around ;) I know myself that for my 3-4 vb licenses, I was terrible at keeping them renewed and up to date.

One of the big issues a lot of developers and companies face is the constant battle between keeping existing customers happy and having to attract new customers - Jeff Standen from Webgroup Media / Cerberus Helpdesk has gone into detail on this quite a bit. The problem is really that the way pricing is structured, one license sale is equal to three+ renewals (this is a common problem/setup) - so you can slip into the habbit of developing features based on what will attract new customers to ensure you're generating the revenue and profits needed to pay the bills and expand. By trying to "persuade" customers to renew, that will hopefully allow the XF team to focus more on what we, the existing customers, want :)

Doesn't IPB only let you renew for 6 months or something instead of a full year though?

Doesn't IPB only let you renew for 6 months or something instead of a full year though?

Yes, but the renewal fee is only $25. It's basically the same as the old vB way, just it's 6 months instead of a year and the renewal fee is less.

It's still the same idea, just renew when you want to renew and no higher "reactivation" fees if your license has been expired too long.

I am surprised there is a separate reactivation fee.

This tells me that the $40/year is not a renewal then, but a yearly subscription, subject to termination and reactivation.

The way things are, I think this post still sums in up nicely.

The fact that you need an active licence to be able to access the modifications section of the site will be enough reason to keep people renewing.

Plus you call it reactivation, what is being reactivated? No extra work your end will be going into "reactivating" the licence. Why not call it what it is, a penalty.

An incentive would be if I had 3-5 licenses, and they gave me some value off the renewal price to renewal all my licenses.

I'm still not fond of the reactivation fee. Personally, I can't see how no one would pay the renewal fee. Unless that is they are a multiple license holder. Then I can see someone wanting to hold off if no new updates are out, or can't afford it at that time.

Of course it would be nice to have a multi-license discount. Yes, XenForo can take the lead here but they've got enough on their plate launching their product. The way I see it, at the price we got it for, that is a fair enough discount - hence buying 3 myself.

After all, you are not forced to upgrade.

One of the major problems in the vB blow up on licenses and one that enraged lifetime license owners was and still are the renewal fees for inactive licenses.

My question is, how will Xenforo deal with customers who own a license but have not purchased or renewed yearly (let's say they wait 2 years), will these owners be penalized by Xenforo ??

Will the license still be good if they do not purchase yearly updates, will they have to pay for the gap years when they do decide to renew the license ??

Top Bottom