Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

There is no thought of pressing someone to renew their license, ever. Buy the license and if you are satisfied with the the product as it is and do not require access or a later version, then no renewal is necessary, ever.

Our strategy and ethos is that XenForo will continue to develop and evolve and that new versions will be available regularly and that customers will want to update to the latest version. After 12 months has passed, the support and access to updates, ends. To gain access to the support areas and to the latest version for the 12 months ahead, as renewal is necessary. The renewal fee is the same, regardless of when you make the renewal and extends the expiry date, by 12 months, regardless of when the renewal is carried out. The reactivation fee is called that as it it not just a renewal, when it is a type of renewal. Effectively, the 2nd and 3rd year of license ownership offers customers the opportunity to renew, should they so choose. As the development is ongoing, 3rd year renewal includes the cost of the development in the 2nd year. Customers are investing in their software and the costs are the same over a period of 3 years, which is reasonable. The activation fee is capped.

We want people to understand and be clear about this. We appreciate that some may find this unsuitable for their requirements. Customers want updated software and renewing their software is part of keeping a forum ahead.

(EDIT) You could view it as paying $180/$220 for 3 years of support and upgrades, which can be paid in instalments. That is good value for money.

I wonder how many licenses ($140) in total you will lose because of this 'ethos' compared to how many extra people you will 'press' to upgrade before they get a 'fee'

You're the business guy tho, but I personally don't like it and I am choosing not to purchase now. I didn't like IBs payment method (As I really liked VBs old one), however I much prefer IBs over this one. We all know that XF has a long way to go before it catches up to many other platforms, but I was originally going to be an early adopter and support you guys..

Also this:
if your license expires on October 1st 2011, extending it will change your new expiration date to October 1st 2012. This applies whether you purchase the extension before or after October 1st 2011
does not sound the same as this:
The renewal fee is the same, regardless of when you make the renewal and extends the expiry date, by 12 months, regardless of when the renewal is carried out.
The first seems to imply that if you purchase your renewal on December 1st (for example) that you still only get updates until October 1st 2011 (instead of a full 12 months). and if you purchase it on June 1st 2011, then you will still only get updates until October 1st 2011 (only 4 months worth)
I gather this because of the words "applies whether you purchase the extension before or after"

I didn't like IBs payment method (As I really liked VBs old one), however I much prefer IBs over this one.

The "new old" VB way was $40 to renew BUT it went up to $60 to renew if you hadn't renewed within 60 days of it expiring (or something fairly short like that). See http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?268714-vBulletin-Licensing-Changes (it changed in 2008!)

The XF model is THE SAME, just with a few tweaks - as XF are instead giving you the option of renewing anytime up to 9 months after your support expired for $40. I think that's a far fairer system than what vBulletin used.

Well that may be.. my biggest concern and it was never addressed even back in 2008 with vB.

I found there were absoluelely no benefits for mulitple license holders. That is besides buying in bulk prices. But in terms of renewals, it was even more pricy.

You would think someone spending that much would get some incentive. I mean these days business that buy bulk from another business get further discounts. I never saw this from vB and I'm starting to feel like we may not for XF.

Which means less of my sites will end up using XF.

The "new old" VB way was $40 to renew BUT it went up to $60 to renew if you hadn't renewed within 60 days of it expiring (or something fairly short like that). See http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?268714-vBulletin-Licensing-Changes (it changed in 2008!)

The XF model is THE SAME, just with a few tweaks - as XF are instead giving you the option of renewing anytime up to 9 months after your support expired for $40. I think that's a far fairer system than what vBulletin used.
And that was IB putting those changes into place not Jelsoft IIRC Either way I like both of those over this new one.

I wonder how many licenses ($140) in total you will lose because of this 'ethos' compared to how many extra people you will 'press' to upgrade before they get a 'fee'

You're the business guy tho, but I personally don't like it and I am choosing not to purchase now. I didn't like IBs payment method (As I really liked VBs old one), however I much prefer IBs over this one. We all know that XF has a long way to go before it catches up to many other platforms, but I was originally going to be an early adopter and support you guys..

Also this:

does not sound the same as this:

The first seems to imply that if you purchase your renewal on December 1st (for example) that you still only get updates until October 1st 2011 (instead of a full 12 months). and if you purchase it on June 1st 2011, then you will still only get updates until October 1st 2011 (only 4 months worth)
I gather this because of the words "applies whether you purchase the extension before or after"

Oh, Can we have a bit of clarification on this please?

If my licence expires, then in 6 months time I renew, will I get a full 12 months renewal starting on the date I purchased the renewal, or would I get 6 months based on the date my support expired?

Oh, Can we have a bit of clarification on this please?

If my licence expires, then in 6 months time I renew, will I get a full 12 months renewal starting on the date I purchased the renewal, or would I get 6 months based on the date my support expired?
You would get it from the date that you renewed for 12 months.

The 6 months after the expiration you wouldn't be able to get support, updates (You'd be locked to your last version while licensed), or resources on the site (From what I understand).

You would get it from the date that you renewed for 12 months.

The 6 months after the expiration you wouldn't be able to get support, updates (You'd be locked to your last version while licensed), or resources on the site (From what I understand).

Thats what I thought as well, but Hornstars post has a few contradictions from Xenforo on the matter.

Thats what I thought as well, but Hornstars post has a few contradictions from Xenforo on the matter.

For me, Hornstar's entire argument is illogical (I can't see how he liked the the $40/$60 60 days but not xf's $40/$80 9 month setup - makes no sense).

The text on the XenForo website is clear, it's 12 months whether you pay $40 and renew within 9 months of it expiring, or you pay the re-activation fee of $80 after 9 months:

XenForo License Extension and Reactivation

XenForo 12-Month Extension - $40

The 12-month extension extends the current expiration date of a license by 12 months. For example, if your license expires on October 1st 2011, extending it will change your new expiration date to October 1st 2012. This applies whether you purchase the extension before or after October 1st 2011. We recommend you keep your license active to maintain access to support, new releases, and resources.

The extension option is available until your license has been past its expiration date for 9 months. Extensions will be available for purchase soon after a stable version is released.
XenForo License Reactivation - $80

If your license has been past its expiration date for 9 months, to regain access to support, new releases, and resources, you must reactivate it. Reactivation includes 12 months of support and access to new releases from the date it is purchased. After 12 months, the standard license extension should be purchased.

Im not talking about the reactivation at present, im talking about normal renewal.

My licence expires 5th October 2011

I renew my licence on the 5th December 2011 for $40
Will my licence now expire on the 5th December 2012 or 5th October 2012?

The community on XenForo is amazing. The comments that have been made have led us to revisit the extension concept to understand quite what it is that we want for our customers.

We want our customers to have a clear understanding and understand the value. We think that XenForo updates will have people wanting to renew, not to mention that access to resource areas require that your license is up to date. So when you extend your license, 12 months will be added to your renewal date from the date that you purchase. The reactivation fee will apply from 9 months, again extending the date of expiry by 12 months from the date of the purchase.

We believe that this aligns the extension policy more closely with customer expectations of fairness and good value.

Thanks Ashley, that's great news.

So for example, let's say you buy the software on 1 January 2012, your license will expire 1 January 2013.

If you pay $40 on 1 January 2013, your license will then expire on 1 January 2014.
If you pay $40 on 7 March 2013, your license will then expire on 7 March 2014.
If you pay $40 on 11 June 2013, your license will then expire on 11 June 2014.

If you go past 9 months, which would be 1 October 2013 then paying $80 would then start a new 12 month period so your license would run from 1 October 2013 to 1 October 2014.

So in each case, the license will be for 12 months from the date of purchase.
If you renew before expiry (when the ability to do so exists) then the 12 months will be added to the end of your current license.

Hopefully that clarifies things for everyone.

We want our customers to have a clear understanding and understand the value. We think that XenForo updates will have people wanting to renew, not to mention that access to resource areas require that your license is up to date. So when you extend your license, 12 months will be added to your renewal date from the date that you purchase. The reactivation fee will apply from 9 months, again extending the date of expiry by 12 months from the date of the purchase.

We believe that this aligns the extension policy more closely with customer expectations of fairness and good value.

Excellent news Ashley. Makes it much better value for money - as an owner of 3 licenses it also gives me more incentive to keep them all active. :)

Excellent news Ashley. Makes it much better value for money - as an owner of 3 licenses it also gives me more incentive to keep them all active. :)
How is that an incentive? That more like pressure.

Pay this much by this time or you pay us... seems less like incentive.

An incentive would be if I had 3-5 licenses, and they gave me some value off the renewal price to renewal all my licenses.

I'm still not fond of the reactivation fee. Personally, I can't see how no one would pay the renewal fee. Unless that is they are a multiple license holder. Then I can see someone wanting to hold off if no new updates are out, or can't afford it at that time.

The incentive will be the new versions that will become available and the area that need an up to date license :)

You might want to read this reply: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/reactivation-fee.4639/page-5#post-82349

I don't see needing a new version of XF a total incentive. Sure there are new updates, big fixes, etc..

But this reactivation fee doesn't address multiple license holders, or provide them any benefits.

This is one thing I and many at vB disliked. We played a HUGE part with multiple licenses and never had a incentive to renew.
I think you know Ashley that in a B2B transaction. They always lower prices or have a "special" B2B price.

I think XF needs this for multiple license holders.

This is why I held off buying more licenses last day. I noticed this reactivation fee, and on top of that realized there is no special incentive to multiple license holders.

Top Bottom