QuoteME !

QuoteME ! 2.1.1

No permission to download
I disabled it for mobile devices. Need to tap several times to activate it...
It requires mobile browsers support the following events: touchstart, touchmove, and selectionchange. I think iOS and Android devices will do it (recent ones). For others browsers that don't support them, users just don't need to enable the fast quotes mode.

Thanks Cedric. Let me know if you need any screenshots or testing help.
Thank you, you can test a new version of the JS file. Github commit - this addon Github (archive can be downloaded - click on "Download zip").

Any settings in particular you want me to try out, or just the default?

And where is the option to download zip on that Github page?

Last edited:
@cclaerhout no problems. Also some peoples from russian xenforo support forum is tested this modification. If you wish - test it ;)
I've integrated your mods on my local installation, but I will not add the template modifications you did. If a user doesn't have JS activated, it's better for him to have a solution to quote a message. I've also added a JS function to avoid the ajax request that is no more needed.

Edit: available on github.

Last edited:
I'm using Android Jelly Bean on S3 Mini, but still have problems with activation. But no problem, I really don't need it for mobile.

Thanks for this great useful add-on!

cclaerhout updated QuoteME ! with a new update entry:

Version 2.0.1 released

Version 2.0.1 released
  • Delete touchmove event dependencies (didn't work well on iOS).
    A simpler system has been used with the touchstart event only
  • One touch screen devices, only display the quoteMe box if the last touchstart event was done inside the "messageContent" html element
    Thanks to Rambro
  • Add option to disable the XenForo default Quote System (I don't
    recommend to do it, but if you prefer this way, you can now do it)
    Thanks to fly_indiz
  • The TinyQuattro...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Typing issue seems to be fixed, but the cursor is still getting stuck behind, where the reply box used to be, after posting the reply. Also, it seems to be screwing with my GoToTop button as it doesn't scroll down the page properly after the reply and gets stuck where the reply box used to be.

Typing issue seems to be fixed, but the cursor is still getting stuck behind, where the reply box used to be, after posting the reply. Also, it seems to be screwing with my GoToTop button as it doesn't scroll down the page properly after the reply and gets stuck where the reply box used to be.
Which cursor ?
Did you check the point 2 of the FAQ ? I think it's your problem. On iOS, you need to close your OS keyboard, there's nothing I can do for that; for Android, I can't test this, I don't have any device with it.
I've tested with the GoToTop addon and I don't have problem with it. But it seems I will have to modify the behaviour when the fast quotes mode is triggered: it brings the user to the editor, I'm not sure why, I will need to check this.

Which cursor ?
Did you check the point 2 of the FAQ ? I think it's your problem. On iOS, you need to close your OS keyboard, there's nothing I can do for that; for Android, I can't test this, I don't have any device with it.
I've tested with the GoToTop addon and I don't have problem with it. But it seems I will have to modify the behaviour when the fast quotes mode is triggered: it brings the user to the editor, I'm not sure why, I will need to check this.
The cursor that you type with. When you hit 'reply', it essentially freezes the blinking line on the screen and leaves it in your reply box. Like this:

IMG_0023.webp

IMG_0026.webp

See also how in the first pic the top/bottom button is sort of stuck out of position?

@Rambro
For the top/bottom button (that is not the the gototop addon by the way, but a great feature of Arty styles), I think it's because the keyboard is opened.

Now, about the screenshot, I don't understand them. So a few other questions if you don't mind:
  • Where's the quoteMe box? Is there a problem with it or is it only with the default reply link?
    By the way the quote link is the default reply link that has been renamed? (if it's the quoteme box, you need to update your template)
  • When you mean "cursor", you don't mean the editor cursor, but the text selection when you touch your screen?
  • Do you have this problem with the default theme?

@Rambro
For the top/bottom button (that is not the the gototop addon by the way, but a great feature of Arty styles), I think it's because the keyboard is opened.

Now, about the screenshot, I don't understand them. So a few other questions if you don't mind:
  • Where's the quoteMe box? Is there a problem with it or is it only with the default reply link?
    By the way the quote link is the default reply link that has been renamed? (if it's the quoteme box, you need to update your template)
  • When you mean "cursor", you don't mean the editor cursor, but the text selection when you touch your screen?
  • Do you have this problem with the default theme?
The button - I know. I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with your GoToTop! addon. I was just using it as a similar reference. I should have specified.

The weird thing with all this is I'm not even using the QuoteMe features. Ever since I upgraded the add-on its been happening all by itself, whether I use the feature or not. I renamed the 'Reply' button to 'Quote'. By cursor I DO mean the editor cursor. That's it in the middle of the the last post in both screenshots. The straight vertical line. Its not blinking in the pic, but it blinks when its left there. Not sure about the default theme. I'll try it out.

Yep, happens on the default theme too.

View attachment 64408

All I did there was type a reply to a thread.
I don't think I've reproduced exactly your problem, but there's one somewhere. It seems that the simple fact to use the "touchstart" event with Redactor creates problems. I don't say to do something complex, but just use it (binding it) which means no matter the QuoteME addon is enabled or not, the editor starts to have some glitches.

A simple way to reproduce the problem is to select all the text inside the editor, then iOS displays a small overlay to let you choose, if you want to cut, copy, delete it, etc. Once this small overlay (from the system) has been displayed, it's already too late. You can delete the text, but if you press a key, it will not work. The only solution is to close the OS keyboard and reopen it. That works but that's not intuitive and it's a risk: members might seem there's a bug and will give up.

So I only have two solutions:
1) prevent to bind any function on the touchstart event when Redactor is detected (the quoteme trigger will be displayed but will not work).
2) only bind the touchstart event when the fastquotes trigger is switched on (the above behaviour will then be there again), and unbind it when it's switched off (the behaviour will stop).

P.S: TinyMCE doesn't seem to have this problem.
P.S 2: use the JS native addEventListener with the touchstart event doesn't change anything

Edit: I will go for the second solution. That's not perfect, but it makes more sense. If you only user Redactor and want to disable the function on mobile, then you can.

Edit2: version 2.0.2 on Github (for testing)

Edit3: I'm going to test if the same bug occurs with the selectstart event (the drawback of this event is it should not work with as many browsers)

Edit4: the selectstart requires on iOS the content to be editable. Even if we set a editable content attribute with preventing any keypress event, the selectstart event occurs only one time and it displays the os keyboard. It's then not a solution.

Last edited:
Hi @cclaerhout

there is a major bug with iOS devices. I've tested it with iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.4
When you type a text and the text goes under the keyboard, the keyboard is locked and you can't type anymore.
Try to type several sentences and go down a line with every sentence, until the text goes hidden from the display (under the keyboard). You won't be able to type anymore when it gets there.

In addition, when I go from portrait mode to landscape, I can't type anymore.
Can you please upload version 1.8.1? I would like to use it meanwhile on my production site when testing version 2 on my testing area.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi @cclaerhout

there is a major bug with iOS devices. I've tested it with iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.4
When you type a text and the text goes under the keyboard, the keyboard is locked and you can't type anymore.
Try to type several sentences and go down a line with every sentence, until the text goes hidden from the display (under the keyboard). You won't be able to type anymore when it gets there.

In addition, when I go from portrait mode to landscape, I can't type anymore.
Can you please upload version 1.8.1? I would like to use it meanwhile on my production site when testing version 2 on my testing area.
Thanks in advance.
See my post above yours. The version on Github will fix this.

Top Bottom