Pushing social networks too hard.

Aarmin

I logged into an online community forum today and there it was, a "floating" dock to the left. It wasn't there last time. Whenever I scrolled down the page, it jumped down. I hope that made since, because I do not know the technical term for it.

It had Facebook, Twitter, Google Buzz, and I think some social bookmarking sites. Now, I personally do not have a Facebook page (no friends :( ), and.. forgive me.. simply think Twitter is really odd. However, why on earth would a webmaster think having a frame follow me around wherever I go on the webpage is a good idea? Now that I am so annoyed by it, I logged off and probably will not return for some time.

Am I the only one that finds these "floating" docks really annoying?

Here I will leave you with the best Twitter account: http://twitter.com/tinafey
No tweets, yet 27,000 followers.. :p

Can I see this "floating dock"?

I would like to add it to my community... social networks are a way to keep your community thriving. If you're community moves to the social networks, you will want to move with them... or they leave you behind.

I absolutely hate those floating boxes that follow you around.. usually urging you to "join this fabulous community..." Sorry but if you are so desperate you have to have a box stalk me all over your site, I am not interested in joining!

The same would apply with the one you are describing.. it would even push me to think "meh.. I'll just go and play on my dumb social network site" instead.

A user style sheet and display:none; usually deals with such annoyances. For the more resilient types, custom adblock filters are a relatively safe method to get rid of them. Of course, that only makes sense if you basically like the community but cannot agree with some of its design oddities.
I would like to add it to my community... social networks are a way to keep your community thriving.
... or simply drive your members away.

Not a tab as such, just a list of FB contacts who have registered with XenForo.
Under Newest Members in the sidebar.

OK, but I see nothing of that sort, maybe because I have not registered with Facebook or the forum has no information about my Facebook account.

OK, but I see nothing of that sort, maybe because I have not registered with Facebook or the forum has no information about my Facebook account.
That's correct. It only shows any of your Facebook friends that have signed up to this site. If you have no Facebook friends, there will be nothing to see.

I, on the other hand, see this:

Screen shot 2010-12-07 at 16.18.55.webp

Not a tab as such, just a list of FB contacts who have registered with XenForo.
Under Newest Members in the sidebar.
Nothing wrong with it. It's a clean and unintrusive design. This thread is about annoying floating UI elements that you can not dismiss or otherwise get rid of. Clearly doesn't apply to the additions to the members page.

For the record: I don't see them either, and if this is how it should be then because it has been implemented in a way that makes sense. Only show what needs to be visible but don't force visitors to see things they don't want to.

Yeah, make fun of me for not having any friends Kier !! :mad:

PS: I disabled my Facebook account because too many of my high school mates wanted me to give them updates for the last 30 years.

Speaking of facebook and old high school friends and not trying to take this thread off topic but it is a similar annoyance. Friends that all of a sudden become social marketers trying to sell stuff, like herbalife and zumba and whatever other amway marketing gimmick there might be. I quit going my personal facebook page just so I didn't have to see all the posts for people trying to sell stuff. I only go on facebook now to update the sites page.

I absolutely hate those floating boxes that follow you around.. usually urging you to "join this fabulous community..." Sorry but if you are so desperate you have to have a box stalk me all over your site, I am not interested in joining!
Hmmm.....I'm learning this now.

I just bought www.codforums.com and it has the same thing, so I think once I move servers, I'm going to remove that crap.
I disabled my Facebook account because too many of my high school mates wanted me to give them updates for the last 30 years.
What's wrong with that? They want to know how you've been, and whatcha been up to?

Yeah, make fun of me for not having any friends Kier !! :mad:
I'm sorry you feel sufficiently badly about having your quantity of Facebook friends to rake offense at my post. Personally, I don't care if you have none or thousands. My post was a simple statement of fact, illustrating what is shown when friends are present, as you had said that you saw nothing.

Remember what you said about having a sense of humor Kier ??

...or lack of...

LOL, at least I laughed at your post and myself !! ;)

PS: See what happens when one uses emoticons improperly on forums = 15 yard penalty !!

When someone responds to a post of mine using the :mad: icon I do not automatically think 'oh, joke'.

Top Bottom