Pushing social networks too hard.

What's wrong with that? They want to know how you've been, and whatcha been up to?

When you get to be my age you will know what is wrong with that !!

I have no desire to discuss why so and so died or why Jim shot himself with people I have not talked to in 30 years, because all they want to do is add some sensational detail to some rumor floating around.

When 50 year old people want to keep high school stuff alive they really have no current life.

If people want to know what I think, all they have to do is run a search on my name in Google and most likely if they want to invest about 1,000 hours they can find out a lot about me from my posts on forums, that is enough for me to reveal without making an ass of myself on Facebook, I have already made an ass out of myself on forums since 2003.

If you're community moves to the social networks, you will want to move with them... or they leave you behind.
If you offer unique/superior content, your users will never leave you behind, regardless of which flavor-of-the-month site they may flock to.

If you offer unique/superior content, your users will never leave you behind, regardless of which flavor-of-the-month site they may flock to.
Sometimes its just not possible to offer unique/superior content. Often with many online communities, the COMMUNITY itself, the people on it, are the content, not the website. So if the people on your community decide to become more active on facebook, you need to do everything you can to keep up your exposure and make sure they continue to see you.

LOL man !!!

What Michael is saying is that there are specialized forums, you know, computer programming, various sciences, philosophy forums and so on that users and guests from search engines read daily, this content can't be found on Facebook in most cases where people who want to share small talk and gossip congregate.

For the record, I must say that xenForo's Facebook integration is done very well.

Hmmm.....I'm learning this now.
I just bought www.codforums.com and it has the same thing, so I think once I move servers, I'm going to remove that crap.

You can actually close it, and the site remembers it was closed (cookies?). Props to the design of that forum, its very inspirational.

Sometimes its just not possible to offer unique/superior content.
I know. If it was possible every site would be great, rather than just a handful of them.

Often with many online communities, the COMMUNITY itself, the people on it, are the content, not the website.
Oh, those.

I don't count those. Hundreds of mouth-breathing imbeciles LOLing back and forth or pretentious ****ers debating religion and politics like a pack of tenth-rate Platos and Socrates. I didn't know we were talking about those freak shows. I stay far away from them. They are bad for your teeth, and I don't know about you, but I take good care of my teeth.

And my feet. A lot of people overlook the foot and take it for granted. Not me. Pumice and lotion are your friends, don't be afraid of them. My fingernails are also very well kept. One must have pleasing hands and feet if one wishes to get ahead in life. A sack full of American cash and bourbon and a kick ass leather jacket aren't enough any more. I know, I know, they were better days when that was enough, but focus on today for a change.

Nothing wrong with it. It's a clean and unintrusive design. This thread is about annoying floating UI elements that you can not dismiss or otherwise get rid of. Clearly doesn't apply to the additions to the members page.

For the record: I don't see them either, and if this is how it should be then because it has been implemented in a way that makes sense. Only show what needs to be visible but don't force visitors to see things they don't want to.
I agree.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what XF have added to the member pages.

Absolutely everything wrong with forums that add those boxes that follow you around though.

Some integration with popular SN sites is a good thing - annoying your potential members is definitely not.

I know. If it was possible every site would be great, rather than just a handful of them.

Oh, those.

I don't count those. Hundreds of mouth-breathing imbeciles LOLing back and forth or pretentious ****ers debating religion and politics like a pack of tenth-rate Platos and Socrates. I didn't know we were talking about those freak shows. I stay far away from them. They are bad for your teeth, and I don't know about you, but I take good care of my teeth.

And my feet. A lot of people overlook the foot and take it for granted. Not me. Pumice and lotion are your friends, don't be afraid of them. My fingernails are also very well kept. One must have pleasing hands and feet if one wishes to get ahead in life. A sack full of American cash and bourbon and a kick ass leather jacket aren't enough any more. I know, I know, they were better days when that was enough, but focus on today for a change.

Funny you should say that, which reminded me of a comment my dad used to say. "always look after you feet and teeth". No real topic value I admit but reminds me of the good ole days, long past.

If social networking is so great why is MySpace dying, could it all be a fad along with Twitter ??

Only tweet your answers to me or hit my Myspace page !! :rolleyes:

If social networking is so great why is MySpace dying, could it all be a fad along with Twitter ??

Only tweet your answers to me or hit my Myspace page !! :rolleyes:

I loathe facebook but compared to myspace it's like comparing xen to solutions (you know the kind). I feel the UI on myspace was always ****e, not to mention Fb has the ability to allow you interaction with people that matter who are otherwise more localised. Every myspace page I visit is blessed with those obnoxious tunes, glittering graphics the kind of environment that was only going to last before something better came along. Facebook (as much as i hate the thing) will be popular and around alot longer than myspace. As for twitter, and imo, will be around alot longer than both.

Well, I sort of hate Twitter too, so we are even Shelley, I really see no reason for Twitter other than folks who want to promote something, I guess as long as you have tons of users the audience has high value for selling things, that is what this viral sensational internet marketing phenomenon is all about I guess.

Mainly for the managers of these businesses it is all about data mining and selling the data in various packages to mass marketers, it is all the same thing Google does with a new twist (get users and sell ads).

Well, I sort of hate Twitter too, so we are even Shelley, I really see no reason for Twitter other than folks who want to promote something, I guess as long as you have tons of users the audience has high value for selling things, that is what this viral sensational internet marketing phenomenon is all about I guess.

A year ago I absolutely loathed twitter so I can certainly understand. For some reason I gave it a shot and nearly 2000 tweets later. I talk a lot of crap.

Touching upon what you said, it's great if you want to sell. I gained two big clients from twitter who have now recently hired me for the next several years so I know for promotion, marketing and selling it's really good. Beats out facebook imo.

Floating/following stuff is one of those things that some webmasters think is cool to make their site look 'technologically advanced' and 'up to date' but it's actually very annoying and useless to most people.

He can't help that.. it's just how he looks...It's not nice to mock the afflicted Kier :)

I figured Kier would have got it by reading the second line in my post, but I also should have been more sensitive in using the proper emoticon at the same time knowing how busy he is.

I figured Kier would have got it by reading the second line in my post, but I also should have been more sensitive in using the proper emoticon at the same time knowing how busy he is.

Well not everyone can have your finely honed sense of humour Anthony :)

Top Bottom