Pushing social networks too hard.

Jethro, I think many times you are misunderstood due to your Aussie lingo, for some of us, you folks are almost like reading Chinese, well not that bad, but many times I read your posts 4 or 5 times to get the gist of what you are saying, so don't feel bad.

I can tell you this, when you and the Brit's talk football (soccer for Americans) or Cricket, none of us understand a thing you all say !! :confused:

Oh my mistake was not reading the whole thread and posting while reading another site :( Clearly I'm not multi tasking enabled.

That's correct. It only shows any of your Facebook friends that have signed up to this site. If you have no Facebook friends, there will be nothing to see.

I, on the other hand, see this:

View attachment 7185

Hey Kier,

I have been having troubles getting facebook to work without errors since I started playing with xF, but with Beta 5, I still get the error when associating my fb account, but I do see this box/option on the members page even after I get that error.

Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot this error since it looks like it's working, but not 100%?

Thanks,
Jamie

Edited to add: I also can see the social plugin under the recent activity pages that Brogan mentioned here.

Can you try setting up a new application from scratch and seeing what happens then?
I'm sure you've already done this but if we start from fresh then it rules out any basic issues.

Browse to this URL http://www.facebook.com/developers/createapp.php
Give the application a name - your site name for example
Add a user support and contact email address
Click Save
Click on Edit settings
Click on Web Site
Enter Site URL - note it must include the trailing slash; e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/
Enter Site Domain - note it must not include http://www or the trailing slash; e.g. mydomain.com

Open ACP -> Home -> Options -> Facebook
Enter the Application ID and Application Secret

Then run the FB tool again.

That's a server issue - it can't even talk to Facebook. If you send me FTP details, I can try to have a look and see if I can figure out why - it's possibly related to SSL, though it could just be a firewall.

First thanks to those of you who posted the screen shots of the facebook features as I am still only running my installations on my own computers I have not connected any of my facebook accounts, but it looks like those features will come in handy on my upcoming site.

I agree that those floating ads to join a network or connect to another site are not only annoying, but a huge distraction for people like me with add. It completely pulls my attention away from anything else on the site to have some stupid box following me around or too many flashy animations around the site. I would think by now people would look to utilize things in a more proper manor... it's one thing to give people an option to see such things, but another to force everyone to. I also simply block them or just stop going to the site.

On myspace... what can I say there not much except it seems with every update they make the site becomes slower and takes away from the user interface. I used to love the origional setup, but now a days when I even get the site to load half the site either doesn't work right or is so cluttered I decide to just leave. With all the blocks I have in place it seems like nothing ever loads right, or slow because of all of my background processes.

That's a server issue - it can't even talk to Facebook. If you send me FTP details, I can try to have a look and see if I can figure out why - it's possibly related to SSL, though it could just be a firewall.

I also get the same message when trying the facebook integration test

Error

Your server could not connect to Facebook (https://graph.facebook.com). Try again later. If the issue persists, contact your host.

When tryingt to login I get as far as authorising the application on my profile but then I get the "

An error occurred while connecting with Facebook. Please try again later. " message

I have tried deleting the application and recreating and unauthorising the app from my account but neither fixes this problem.

Any ideas?

I also get the same message when trying the facebook integration test

Error

Your server could not connect to Facebook (https://graph.facebook.com). Try again later. If the issue persists, contact your host.

When tryingt to login I get as far as authorising the application on my profile but then I get the "

An error occurred while connecting with Facebook. Please try again later. " message

I have tried deleting the application and recreating and unauthorising the app from my account but neither fixes this problem.

Any ideas?

Fixed my own issue; seems from reading on another post you need to make sure you have OPENSSL enabled in PHP; I had tried CURL with SSL but this didn't help.

Just recompiled Apache/PHP with openssl and now it is working; something to do with PHP socket connections.

I have a cpanel server so used the EASYAPACHE to add the openssl support

Thanks

Fixed my own issue; seems from reading on another post you need to make sure you have OPENSSL enabled in PHP; I had tried CURL with SSL but this didn't help.

Just recompiled Apache/PHP with openssl and now it is working; something to do with PHP socket connections.

I have a cpanel server so used the EASYAPACHE to add the openssl support

Thanks
Apologies for the thread bump, but this is what I needed to do as well. I had CurlSSL installed, but needed to add OpenSSL as well.

Top Bottom