Resource icon

Post Content Find / Replace 1.0.0

No permission to download
In the alternative maybe it would be possible to have XenForo apply RegEx's from a list when people actually submit their posts?

That's already there. AdminCP -> Options -> Censoring :)

Edit: Ah okay. I missed the bit where you said regex. But it does sound as if the censoring option could at least be a start for you.

That's already there. AdminCP -> Options -> Censoring :)

Edit: Ah okay. I missed the bit where you said regex. But it does sound as if the censoring option could at least be a start for you.
It wouldn't help at all I'm afraid. For example the censoring option wouldn't change http://www.somereallybadsite.com to http://www.disney.com it would just star out the bad url. It also wouldn't replace youtube links with media tags, etc.

Actually, it will and does.
Even if the URL contains a word which is currently in the word censor.

You just have to check Match exact word and enter the replacement URL.
Ah, cool, that's that part sorted then. How about the media example?

It's not possible to use it for strings/URLs which have variable content mid-string.
As the poster above said, that would require regex.

Mystic - setting this tool up in a cron job would be a sure fire way to lunch your server :)

Your suggestion about an automated find/replace system for post content is a much more feasible suggestion, and one that I will look into for a future version as I can think of all manner of possibilities for it.

Your suggestion about an automated find/replace system for post content is a much more feasible suggestion, and one that I will look into for a future version as I can think of all manner of possibilities for it.

One use for it could be improving SEO. A lot of communities have their own "slang" with accompanying abbreviations. I.e. MSSQL = Microsoft SQL Server. XF = XenForo. In order for your board to pick up the proper SEO juice, the replacement would do a nice job.

Another use would be in case people are unaware of the Video/media option, and instead just paste in the regular YouTube url. The replacement script could mtach and correct this kind of stuff.

Another use would be in case people are unaware of the Video/media option, and instead just paste in the regular YouTube url. The replacement script could mtach and correct this kind of stuff.
I do see one potential problem with that though - I often do something like this:
Code:
[media=vimeo]16893821[/media]
[url=http://vimeo.com/16893821]Or view on Vimeo.com[/url]
And in this example, both would be converted into media players.

Yes, sometimes I prefer to post the URL to the video rather than embed it.
Especially if embedding has been prohibited for that particular video.

done in the beginning :p
ahn
redface.png
... sorry ! ( I had the same error message...for that reason... )

It absolutely should not! Regular Expressions are EXTREMELY powerful; so much so that I pretty much have a college degree based completely around them (Biomedical Informatics; mapping the human genome).

LOL, very true.. I work with a bunch of them!

mhm, yeah, trying this on an imported IPB3 board with 200k posts, for quote bbcode, and getting memory exhausted back. I limit it to posts with [/quote] but that doesn't seem to help. Mmmm

I've updated the first post with the updated, fixed version. Thanks to whyweprotest for taking the time to spot the oopsie.

I've installed the latest version of this add-on and still get the same results as before. The add-on finds threads to be changed but never changes them.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Top Bottom