XF 1.2 Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications

Ivar

Hi there,

I am using PayPal for User Upgrades. Everything seems to work just fine, the payments go through just fine and the user is upgraded correctly. But still, I am getting these e-mails from PayPal with regular intervals:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/payment_callback.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Sincerely,

PayPal

At first I did not take any notice, since everything worked. But after about 10 days or receiving these notifications (one every 2-3 days). PayPal turned off IPN, and upgrades stopped working. I went in and turned it on again, and now it works.. but payPal has started sending me these e-mails again... so something does not seem to be right.

From what I have read, the payback url is not used in Xenforo, but it is required in PayPal to be able to turn on IPN (see below).

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 08.56.46.webp

Ideas?

The IPN isn't required as the URL provided by XenForo will override it.
However, you can try adding <domain>/payment_callback.php to the field to see if that helps.

Also, double check your Board URL is correct.

The file should be located wherever the software is installed.
Enter the URL in PayPal according to that.
Ok, that is what I have been doing from day 1.... but it is giving me this problem, that is why I posted the question.

[added]
Just to clarify.

Just checked, and my board url is correct in admin.

My site, wordpress in the root:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/

Xenforo in a folder:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

...so the payment callback file should be here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/payment_callback.php

An this is where it is. But PayPal still send me these messages + disables IPN (see above).
[/added]

Last edited:
Have a look at the xf_user_upgrade_log table in the database. Aside from some "request not validated" entries that you probably got since posting this, look at the transaction_type and message rows. Are you seeing a lot of "error" types? If so, what's the message?

Have a look at the xf_user_upgrade_log table in the database. Aside from some "request not validated" entries that you probably got since posting this, look at the transaction_type and message rows. Are you seeing a lot of "error" types? If so, what's the message?
Just had a look and I see a lot of "Invalid business or receiver_email" error messages...

I checked my "PayPal Primary Account Email" in Xenforo admin and it is correct. (I have been receiving payments just fine, so it has to be correct)

I checked the account type I have with PayPal and it is "Account Type: Premier".

So it looks like it is related to "Invalid Business"? (not sure what the requirement is)... will have a look around PayPal, if you have any ideas would be great to hear them..

Thanks for your help!
Ivar

That's the email address that PayPal reports back to us (it's sent as business or receiver_email parameters). The expected value is in there, though it's going to be hard to read unless you know what you're looking for. If you can submit a ticket and provide phpMyAdmin details, I can tell you what PP is sending through there.

That's the email address that PayPal reports back to us (it's sent as business or receiver_email parameters). The expected value is in there, though it's going to be hard to read unless you know what you're looking for. If you can submit a ticket and provide phpMyAdmin details, I can tell you what PP is sending through there.
Thanks!

Could it be done by exporting this table to a .sql file? (I am a bit hesitant to give out/send my phpMyAdmin details)

I am getting these notifications from time to time as well. Changed the URL to the root without success. The last week all user upgrades have to be performed by hand.

The transaction log stopped logging after monday it seems.

Notice some weird stuff though. Also payments i have made via paypal can be seen in this transaction log (see my ip there).

For the rest I see no entries anymore after 22nd of august. Any clue what that can be as there have been userupgrades since that date that I have manually processed now.

Not to reopen a dead thread, but I had the same problem, and found elsewhere a possible solution of going to PayPal, click on Profile (top right), select Profile and Settings, Click on My selling tools (left side), all the way at the bottom click on PayPal button language encoding, IGNORE the dropdown and click on the More Options button, and select UTF-8.

I was going nuts trying to figure out the issue because it claimed there was a TLS 1.2 issue but there was none. I hope. (As far as I can tell TLS 1.2 is fine.) There was also an email indicting the callback.

... and I'm still going nuts because it says it failed. Will open a support request.

Last edited:
Not to reopen a dead thread, but I had the same problem, and found elsewhere a possible solution of going to PayPal, click on Profile (top right), select Profile and Settings, Click on My selling tools (left side), all the way at the bottom click on PayPal button language encoding, IGNORE the dropdown and click on the More Options button, and select UTF-8.

I was going nuts trying to figure out the issue because it claimed there was a TLS 1.2 issue but there was none. I hope. (As far as I can tell TLS 1.2 is fine.) There was also an email indicting the callback.

... and I'm still going nuts because it says it failed. Will open a support request.
Did you figure it out?

All my user upgrades have stopped and I need to manually upgrade them (I get the PayPal payment but need to manually upgrade).

Top Bottom