PhotoPost Pro and XenForo integration

IMO...

A user album is somewhat like FaceBook - user's create an album and upload photos... (Hey check out my kids birthday party)...
But how do the Albums get organized? By user? By Date? By Album Title?

A Gallery is a bit more organized and more community oriented... An admin or moderator (or user) creates a specific category in a pre-determined structure and all users upload their photos.
So a gallery maight look like:

2012 Photos
--January
-----Car Show Pictures (14 different users post their pictures related to this event)
--February
-----Trip to the Race (Several users post their pictures)

etc...

The difference again being that your community members may all have pictures from a similar event that everyone attended. These would all fit in a Gallery. In this way, members who attended the same event can keep all the photos in a same general category and not have to create seperate individual albums...

If you don't have a forum audience like that - then perhaps an Album is a better fit.

For example, my boating site...
We have some events - Aquapalooza being one of the biggest. We could have several hundred members at the same event all taking pictures. Rather than having a hundred different albums (by each member) all for the same event - I'd prefer to have one category "Aquapalooza" and have everyone's pictures posted there.

Let me add from my last reply Cory that the example I gave you may be too cumbersome for my users. It might be better to go with a simpler, more streamlined approach.

Cory,

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm still sure which way to go, but I want to go at least 'somewhat' in the direction of a site like this:

http://www.airliners.net/search/

A search engine of sorts but with the other functionality that either Gallery or Album would provide.

You think it take a lot of $$$ to develop?

Ken

Ken,

Sorry I was only helping to explain what I thought the differences between a Gallery and Album were.

There are only two options I have on my plate...
Currently useralbums and the long awaited Galleria which should be (based on the lead in comments) a very powerfull full featured gallery system.

I was told there would be an importer for Galleria if you start off using UserAlbums... So that's what I am doing now...
I have users posting with the UserAlbums with the hope soon for Galleria and it's importing abilities.

Ken,

Sorry I was only helping to explain what I thought the differences between a Gallery and Album were.

There are only two options I have on my plate...
Currently useralbums and the long awaited Galleria which should be (based on the lead in comments) a very powerfull full featured gallery system.

I was told there would be an importer for Galleria if you start off using UserAlbums... So that's what I am doing now...
I have users posting with the UserAlbums with the hope soon for Galleria and it's importing abilities.

Gotcha.

Question: Are the photos on your forum searchable? This is the one thing I'm trying to figure out if I can make happen with my forum.

No but I'm still looking at because it has "factory" CMS, Gallery and Mobile version which XenForo does not.
Dont bother. The integration is so poor its detremental. I have come from full IPB package with everything inlcuding gallery, cms etc. to XF with nothing. The XF with nothing is still a SIGNIFICANTLY better

Dont bother. The integration is so poor its detremental. I have come from full IPB package with everything inlcuding gallery, cms etc. to XF with nothing. The XF with nothing is still a SIGNIFICANTLY better

So what did you use in place of the IPB Gallery?

I hear you...but this software is useless until I figure out the gallery dilemma...not saying I can't...but so I haven't.

So what did you use in place of the IPB Gallery?

I have no gallery at the moment other than a forum where people upload their pircutes. Because of the way lightbox works you can scroll through the images in a user topic call "membername gallery" quite well. I will use that until XF makes a supported gallery.

My IPB had a gallery due to people posting images in topics. They stopped posting pictures in gallery as it didn't integrate properly. We revert to XF and people started posting pictures again. Same thing happened with our photo comps - interest dropped until we reverted to XF.

It boils down to the fact members are vain and they want to know people are viewing their pictures and are commenting - this is more visible in a post than it is in a crap gallery implementation, so it works better.

I have no gallery at the moment other than a forum where people upload their pircutes. Because of the way lightbox works you can scroll through the images in a user topic call "membername gallery" quite well. I will use that until XF makes a supported gallery.

My IPB had a gallery due to people posting images in topics. They stopped posting pictures in gallery as it didn't integrate properly. We revert to XF and people started posting pictures again. Same thing happened with our photo comps - interest dropped until we reverted to XF.

It boils down to the fact members are vain and they want to know people are viewing their pictures and are commenting - this is more visible in a post than it is in a crap gallery implementation, so it works better.

Hi optrex,

I just bought XF and am going through it and what you posted here may work for me the way you explained it.

Does "membername gallery" get created automatically? I'd like to see an example of this. Is it on your site?

Ken

no it doesn't get created automatically. You have a forum called photos or member galleries and a topic is created by the member, they call it what they like, but you could ask them to use a naming convention, i.e optrex's gallery

in the example here http://www.nzbees.net/forum/threads/few-old-photos-of-my-hives.411/
there are 39 images across 6 posts. You read the topic with the thumbs and the comments and the member gets likes etc just like a normal post, so they are used to the interface and its integrated already with the rest of the site ie alerts/likes/replies/search.

But here is the important bit, when you view the 39 images you get to see all of them in lightbox. You get the forward/back arrows or you can jump to a thumb using the strip across the bottom of the page. Its sort of galleryesque

Unfortunately on this example you need to register to see the actual images, but standard view of the lightbox feel is as you get here.
Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 10.22.26 PM.webp

no it doesn't get created automatically. You have a forum called photos or member galleries and a topic is created by the member, they call it what they like, but you could ask them to use a naming convention, i.e optrex's gallery

How do they get the image from their computer into the Xenforo forum message?

upload a file, just like creating a normal topic, post or reply

Doh! Just noticed that was one of the options.

Actually, that really serves my purpose for members being able to post pic with their messages. Sorry for the big pic...testing it.

P6180047.webp

This is an old thread and since PhotoPost has seemingly vanished and maybe closed down, I thought I would add a screen shot of how easy it was to migrate to Xenforo Media Gallery, how great it felt to be in a secure gallery that was professionaly coded and felt like the darkness has lifted from my cummunity. I lost my community through poor scripting of the gallery and all I had in the end were spammers.

Thank you Xenforo for free me from that and giving my members a chance to enjoy (without feer) the use of an exceptional gallery software :)
fC.webp

This is an old thread and since PhotoPost has seemingly vanished and maybe closed down, I thought I would add a screen shot of how easy it was to migrate to Xenforo Media Gallery, how great it felt to be in a secure gallery that was professionaly coded and felt like the darkness has lifted from my cummunity. I lost my community through poor scripting of the gallery and all I had in the end were spammers.

Thank you Xenforo for free me from that and giving my members a chance to enjoy (without feer) the use of an exceptional gallery software :)View attachment 125207
Was this one of the built in importers?
What gallery was it imported into?
One of the sites I manage will be moving from vb to xf and they have photopost and would like a solid was to ditch photopost.

Was this one of the built in importers?
What gallery was it imported into?
One of the sites I manage will be moving from vb to xf and they have photopost and would like a solid was to ditch photopost.

I had VBGallery on a VBulletin 4.xx and that was imported in to Xenforo Media Gallery (the only core gallery for Xenforo). The importer comes with the Xenforo Media Gallery and is a synch to use. Just make sure that you close your gallery and forum before importing and it's always best to back up first.
In my opinion it is a bit slow at importing, but that said it is very thorough indeed.

There is also A VBulletin importer as well that is equally as good and that also comes with Xenforo.

My only advise would be (other than what I've already mentioned) is that you will be prompted to save the logs when importing. These are important and I renamed mine gallery log (when I was importing the gallery) and forum log for the forum.
I believe there is also a script on Xenforo to deal with any redirection so that you don't lose any SEO once you've moved to Xenforo. Here is a link to Chris D redirect script
It's a real breeze you'll love the gallery and the solid structure :)

I manage a site that has vb garage and photopost.
I was wanting to move vb garage to the showcase mod and it looks like that'll be no issue. I need something to import from photopost and this thread came up when I searched earlier.

Top Bottom