PhotoPost Pro and XenForo integration

They released minimal integration, and god help you if you have issues with a style (The designer just gets blamed).

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm just trying to figure out what to do regarding integrating a user-centric photo gallery. I cannot launch my board until this is resolved and it doesn't seem like there are any solid solutions for XF.

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm just trying to figure out what to do regarding integrating a user-centric photo gallery. I cannot launch my board until this is resolved and it doesn't seem like there are any solid solutions for XF.

Nope there is no gallery solution till now for xenforo . There's user albums addon . I don't think there will be any gallery solution for next 3-6months.

Nope there is no gallery solution till now for xenforo . There's user albums addon . I don't think there will be any gallery solution for next 3-6months.

What's the difference between a Gallery and Users Album?

I want a place where users (and admin) can post pix and then use them to post/link in messages in the forum. I also wanted to have an "album" "gallery" that I could use to dynamically slide show on the front page.

So is that a Gallery or Album?

What's the difference between a Gallery and Users Album?

I want a place where users (and admin) can post pix and then use them to post/link in messages in the forum. I also wanted to have an "album" "gallery" that I could use to dynamically slide show on the front page.

So is that a Gallery or Album?

To be perfectly honest with you I'm not sure! :)

I would have thought they would have this. I thought they did when I purchased but it's my fault for not looking closer.

I love this software so far but I cannot use it without a robust gallery solution (my market demands it).

I may have to go to VB for now. Frustrating. :(

I would have thought they would have this. I thought they did when I purchased but it's my fault for not looking closer.
I love this software so far but I cannot use it without a robust gallery solution (my market demands it).

So what is functional difference between "Gallery" and "User Album"? I wonder which one I need.

Thank you. I've looked at this before but was unsure because it's not supported anymore I hear. I might have to move forward with it anyway.
I use Photopost and User albums. Photopost is dreadful, integration is poor and looks very dated. User albums is much better, but it is missing a lot of features. Don't think there is pagination, etc.

So what is functional difference between "Gallery" and "User Album"? I wonder which one I need.
IMO...

A user album is somewhat like FaceBook - user's create an album and upload photos... (Hey check out my kids birthday party)...
But how do the Albums get organized? By user? By Date? By Album Title?

A Gallery is a bit more organized and more community oriented... An admin or moderator (or user) creates a specific category in a pre-determined structure and all users upload their photos.
So a gallery maight look like:

2012 Photos
--January
-----Car Show Pictures (14 different users post their pictures related to this event)
--February
-----Trip to the Race (Several users post their pictures)

etc...

The difference again being that your community members may all have pictures from a similar event that everyone attended. These would all fit in a Gallery. In this way, members who attended the same event can keep all the photos in a same general category and not have to create seperate individual albums...

If you don't have a forum audience like that - then perhaps an Album is a better fit.

For example, my boating site...
We have some events - Aquapalooza being one of the biggest. We could have several hundred members at the same event all taking pictures. Rather than having a hundred different albums (by each member) all for the same event - I'd prefer to have one category "Aquapalooza" and have everyone's pictures posted there.

PhotoPost and it's siblings are coded very poorly, feeling like a huge patchwork after the coder seems to have worked hardly around bugs. If you understand coding a little you do not feel well using it at your side. It is not even coding style of the 90s. However most features work and non-coding people will be satisfied with them.

If I were Chuck, I would recode it (or let it recode) from scratch. You will get 10% code only for 100% plus features, compared to the current version. And integration would be better and easier.

But this is his business decision. :)

PhotoPost and it's siblings are coded very poorly, feeling like a huge patchwork after the coder seems to have worked hardly around bugs. If you understand coding a little you do not feel well using it at your side. It is not even coding style of the 90s. However most features work and non-coding people will be satisfied with them.

If I were Chuck, I would recode it (or let it recode) from scratch. You will get 10% code only for 100% plus features, compared to the current version. And integration would be better and easier.

But this is his business decision. :)

I have had the unpleasant experience of having to do custom work on a couple of Photopost heavy VBulletin sites. It is indeed coded very very poorly. Coming from Xenforo, photopost's code feels like 18th century. The worst thing about trying to do any sort of customization for photopost was that it just did not use vbulletin's hook system.

A user album is somewhat like FaceBook - user's create an album and upload photos... (Hey check out my kids birthday party)...

A Gallery is a bit more organized and more community oriented... An admin or moderator (or user) creates a specific category in a pre-determined structure and all users upload their photos.

Great explanation. Thanks. My requirements are similar to yours.

So what photo solution did you decide on for your XenForo forums?

IMO...

2012 Photos
--January
-----Car Show Pictures (14 different users post their pictures related to this event)
--February
-----Trip to the Race (Several users post their pictures)

etc...

The difference again being that your community members may all have pictures from a similar event that everyone attended. These would all fit in a Gallery. In this way, members who attended the same event can keep all the photos in a same general category and not have to create seperate individual albums...

If you don't have a forum audience like that - then perhaps an Album is a better fit.

For example, my boating site...
We have some events - Aquapalooza being one of the biggest. We could have several hundred members at the same event all taking pictures. Rather than having a hundred different albums (by each member) all for the same event - I'd prefer to have one category "Aquapalooza" and have everyone's pictures posted there.

Cory,

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm still sure which way to go, but I want to go at least 'somewhat' in the direction of a site like this:

http://www.airliners.net/search/

A search engine of sorts but with the other functionality that either Gallery or Album would provide.

You think it take a lot of $$$ to develop?

Ken

Top Bottom