1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 okay to upgrade with a lot of plugins?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by zoldos, Dec 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. zoldos

zoldos Well-Known Member

I run quite a few plugins. Will it be okay to upgrade from 1.5.2 to the new version? I haven't modded any source files, just templates. Thanks!

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Should be ok. Regardless you should ensure you have a current back up just in case anything goes wrong.

zoldos likes this.
  3. zoldos

zoldos Well-Known Member

Okay thanks Chris! :)

4. ichpen

ichpen Well-Known Member

Everyone should be running a 'staging' or 'beta' site which is a replica of your live site. Dead easy to setup and you can try upgrades/addons and do some quick regression testing before deploying to prod. Goes a long way to assure that catastrophic upgrades are identified before they become truly catastrophic.

5. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

I wish it were "dead easy" for me.

6. ichpen

ichpen Well-Known Member

What's the issue?

7. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

I just don't know how to do it. Things are "dead easy" to those who know this stuff. To me, writing an academic paper is "dead easy." It's not to many others.

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If you can install XenForo and add-ons then you should be able to upgrade XenForo and add-ons as the process is the same.

9. zoldos

zoldos Well-Known Member

I don't mind third point upgrades. I'd be much more careful if it were an upgrade to like version 2.0 for example....

10. ichpen

ichpen Well-Known Member

Brogan I think wrote up a nice guide on how to clone/create a staging installation, follow that, but this in general is not required for upgrades. It was merely a suggestions on my behalf to alleviate some of the worry that an upgrade could go wrong.