XF 2.3 Question about testing upgrade to 2.3

Chromaniac

So, the advisory says:

Add-ons and custom styles may be broken after upgrading to 2.3. You must test your add-ons thoroughly or look for updates. Be especially careful with add-ons that cover similar features to ones that are added to 2.3; these may conflict with the core XenForo data. If data conflicts are found, they will need to be resolved in a new add-on release or by removing the add-on before upgrading to 2.3.

I have been reducing my reliance on addons in recent months preparing for this update and I am down to a bundle that is more or less essential. I was just wondering how should I go about testing 2.3 upgrade on a second private install. I can't imagine what existing addon could cause issues after upgrade. Is it a good idea to just disable all addons and then upgrade? Is uninstall enough or do I need to remove the files as well? Would it be safe to test enabling each of these addons after upgrade to see if they are working as intended or needs an update from the developer?

I haven't dealt with such an update since 2.2 was released which was a while ago so just want to save my time dealing with a private test install to see how much work would be needed when 2.3 is actually out.

Also, since the main 2.3 discussion thread seems to be still closed. Was wondering if anyone reading this has been testing 2.3 builds... Did you find any option to customize webp compression? I probably should post a feature request in addon section considering there has to be a setting somewhere in config that could be customized to generate better quality webp files. WebP files here are too compressed imo. A lot of things can be changed via config.php files. Not sure if this is one of them. If a dev is reading this thread, and if webp compression is customizable through config.php file, it would be great if they can mention that in the webp hys thread and other relevant places.

As it's a test install, I wouldn't really suggest doing much preparatory work. I don't think it's necessary to disable any add-ons ahead of the upgrade.

Just run the upgrade and see what happens. Chances are, everything will be fine during the upgrade itself. If it fails, it's a test upgrade so it's no big deal and how it failed could be useful information (to you and us!).

If you then encounter issues after the upgrade (white screens, fatal errors, etc.) primary thing you can do then is set $config['enableListeners'] = false; which should effectively disable add-ons, at which point you can disable all add-ons, and re-enable them one by one to find the culprit. Enabling debug mode can occasionally help too as the type of errors we display in debug mode are a little more detailed.

BTW this is the main 2.3 discussion thread, and it's been open since the release of Beta 1:

ah right. i got confused with this thread.

good to know. i would try to do a test upgrade sometime this week. i imagine, i would just need to change the Board URL in settings so that i do not end up making any changes to primary url accidentally due to Enable board URL canonicalization setting. and it should remain separate and safe to play with!

So, the advisory says:

I have been reducing my reliance on addons in recent months preparing for this update and I am down to a bundle that is more or less essential. I was just wondering how should I go about testing 2.3 upgrade on a second private install. I can't imagine what existing addon could cause issues after upgrade. Is it a good idea to just disable all addons and then upgrade? Is uninstall enough or do I need to remove the files as well? Would it be safe to test enabling each of these addons after upgrade to see if they are working as intended or needs an update from the developer?

I haven't dealt with such an update since 2.2 was released which was a while ago so just want to save my time dealing with a private test install to see how much work would be needed when 2.3 is actually out.

Also, since the main 2.3 discussion thread seems to be still closed. Was wondering if anyone reading this has been testing 2.3 builds... Did you find any option to customize webp compression? I probably should post a feature request in addon section considering there has to be a setting somewhere in config that could be customized to generate better quality webp files. WebP files here are too compressed imo. A lot of things can be changed via config.php files. Not sure if this is one of them. If a dev is reading this thread, and if webp compression is customizable through config.php file, it would be great if they can mention that in the webp hys thread and other relevant places.
Add-on developers are not going to release updated add-ons until at least RC1 so expect the find problems with add-ons if you are testing now. I recommend watching the threads for the add-ons you want to keep and seeing what the developer is saying in regards to 2.3 compatibility.

Well if the resource is updated to work on 2.3, it's officially supported I would think. :unsure:
I mean it took me all of 15 minutes to fix a few template modifications and js edits to make my moderator panel work on 2.3, but I can't guarantee that the XF team won't make future changes to require me to adjust before 2.3 is released. I guess some developers are cool supporting now but not sure why anyone would before XF officially does.

Top Bottom