XF v1.5 on server running PHP5.2x. Moving with upgrade to new server running PHP7.x

Danny Fyne

I have been running XF v1.5 for many years on a server running older versions of linux and PHP v5.2. I am now in the process of moving everything to a new server with up to date versions of linux and PHP v7+.

I know that XF v1.5 won't run on the new server and so I need to upgrade to a newer version. If I purchase an upgrade, will this give me a full version of XF v2+?

The problem is that I can't run the upgrade on the old version on the current server and I'd need to install the latest version on the new server and then reinstall the database to the new version.

What is not clear is whether I can just purchase the upgrade or do I need to purchase a new licence for a full version of XF v2+?

Thanks for the info Teletubbi. Just to clarify... when I purchase the update, I will be able to install a full version on the new server (currently sandbagged and being tested) and eventually, import all the existing data from the v1.5 XF into the new XF v2.x?

First of all which specific version of XF 1.5.x and which specific version of PHP 5.2.x?

The latest versions of 1.5 are compatible with PHP up to version 7.3.

So you may be able to move XF 1.5 to the new server and then upgrade it to XF 2.1.

At the moment running XF 1.4.6. Licence takes me up to v1.5 which I know works on the old server.

Server currently running Ubuntu 10.04.3
PHP 5.3.2

( I thought I was running v1.5 but obviously not)

My advice:
  1. Renew license
  2. Upgrade XF 1.4 to the latest XF 1.5
  3. Move everything directly to the new server (copy files and database, don’t do an import)
  4. Upgrade XF 1.5 on the new server to XF 2.1

XF v1.5 doesn't appear to work with PHP 7.3.14.

Getting server error during installation...

Server Error
Server Error
The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. each() in XenForo/Template/Compiler.php at line 869
  3. XenForo_Template_Compiler->compileNamedParams() in XenForo/Template/Compiler.php at line 932
  4. XenForo_Template_Compiler->getNamedParamsAsPhpCode() in XenForo/Template/Compiler/Tag/Avatar.php at line 49
  5. XenForo_Template_Compiler_Tag_Avatar->compile() in XenForo/Template/Compiler.php at line 641
  6. ... and so on

You haven’t quite followed my instructions 😉

You would need to renew your license and upgrade to the latest version of XF 1.5. Old versions of XF 1.5 which were released before PHP 7.3 obviously won’t have compatibility but new versions were made compatible with PHP 7.3

OK. But why would v1.5 I download now be different from v1.5 after I renew my licence? I would have thought that I would just have to find a version 1.5.x with the changes.

I will renew my licence but I’m trying to leave that as late as possible in order to get the maximum amount of time out of it.

XF 1.5.0 (which I think is the version you downloaded) was released in 2015. XF 1.5.24 was released in 2019.

So only the newer versions of XF 1.5 would work with the newer versions of PHP.

Top Bottom