1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Navbar Gradient

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Shelley, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Where the "Marked all forums read" "what's New?" and "watched threads" I feel the gradient should be more gradual rather than 50/50 split so the text is more readable. Below is a mockup just wondering if a gradual gradient would be implemented? Entertatined? Not to mention I feel it looks better.

Attached Files:

Jason, CyberAP, erich37 and 3 others like this.
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

We need to make sure that it's consistent with other places in the forum as the 50/50 split theme could be used elsewhere and in that case should be changed also.

3. Shelley

I honestly don't think it is. The only other headers used I seen are the tanned colour (forum cats) and the blue toned used in the footers (thread display for example) I'd need to explore around more but I'm sure they are the only other headers used throughout.

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I prefer Shelly's, just because it blends much better.

5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I too prefer Shelley's recommendation

Right now the navbar feels late 90's, as if somebody got overzealous about gradients :p

6. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I think it's attractive. But Shelley's does blend better, so yes, I agree.

7. Shelley

Just uploaded a more refined (seamless transition between the nav Gradient & tab) mockup. Gives you a better visual when quality isn't compromised and me taking shortcuts in photoshop.

8. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

+1 for a smoother navbar gradient. :)

Navbar? or shall we say Tab Links as that's what it's named in the html source.

9. Floris

Floris Guest

Should just be a stylevar property you can change to a darker color.

Nice suggestion Shelley.

I am glad "What's new" btw, .. isn't in the middle - I really would dislike that :)

10. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

No issue at all with it, but I agree with every word here ^

11. ---MAD---

---MAD--- Well-Known Member

Current gradient does make it a bit difficult to read the text but not impossible so I'm with you on this one :).

12. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

BTW, I am looking into this one - we can't do exactly what Shelley has there, as our gradients have to be of a certain kind, but we can certainly have something a bit less extreme than what we have now.

13. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

it is just the light-blue-color at the upper-side of this navbar-element, which makes the white text a bit hard to read........

Also, when hoovering over the word "Forum", there is no indication that you can actually click onto the word "Forum" in order to get back to the Forums-list.
    Meaning, the word "Forum" should get underlined or something else in order for the user to recognize that he is still able to click on the word "Forum". If you do not like to underline the word on hoover, maybe make it with a background-change on hoover, so that the user understands he can click on the owrd "Forum".

14. Kier

The change of the arrow cursor to the hand/pointer cursor is a universal indicator that an item is clickable.

15. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Why is that?
    Are you willing/able to explain why?
    Just interested is all.

Enigma likes this.
  16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Our gradients don't contain any color, they just lighten or darken what's there. This is to make base color changes much easier. The color also has to come from our color palette set, which has more than enough blues in it as is (we have a selection of "primary" and "secondary" colors). As far as we can tell, the gradient doesn't pull from one of the colors in our set.

Peggy and CyberAP like this.
  17. Kier

New navbar gradient now implemented.

18. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I actually liked the old one. I see no improvement in contrast?

19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Try a hard refresh CTRL+F5.

Looks good!

Brandon_R likes this.
  20. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I saw the new one, like I said, liked the old one better and contrast has not improved for me.