My XF Forum account

Could you possibly go into more detail on how I can do that? With the internet connection tech stuff I've never had issues so unsure how do accomplish this. Thanks
Assuming you're using a router (as most people are)

You should see an option to change your DNS

edit: If you do not know your default user name and password to your router and lost most people have not changed them.... There is 12 possible combinations and I would suggest you read this

http://www.sociallyuncensored.eu/forums/threads/how-to-help-secure-your-pc.10883/#post-162167

The router ip depends on the model of the router. Most linksys/cisco home routers will have the above adress, but other popular brands like Dlink and Buffalo use totally different IP address. The easiest way to figure it out is from your cmd prompt type

ipconfig

Look for the line that says "Default Gateway" that's your router IP.

Next go in to your router configuration page and usually on the main page you'll see something like

Snap 2012-09-29 at 12.23.01.webp

You can do it also in your computer - network settings.

On the mac, it's

System Preferences --> Network --->Advanced then the DNS tab.
Similar on Windoz.....
You can add as many as you like - so if one does not work the next will.

No need, IMHO, to fuss with the router - but that is optional. The router picks up it's DNS from the provider...so that one is also on your list automatically.

You can do it also in your computer - network settings.

On the mac, it's

System Preferences --> Network --->Advanced then the DNS tab.
Similar on Windoz.....
You can add as many as you like - so if one does not work the next will.

No need, IMHO, to fuss with the router - but that is optional. The router picks up it's DNS from the provider...so that one is also on your list automatically.

Figured it out. Using the google dns I still can't access xenforo forums or xenforo.com only through the free proxy i can access the site and forums but not upload.

Figured it out. Using the google dns I still can't access xenforo forums or xenforo.com only through the free proxy i can access the site and forums but not upload.

Did you force a refresh of your dns? Just because you changed the settings, it can still take a while to update.

Use "ipconfig /flushdns" in a promt window.

Assuming you're using a router (as most people are)

You should see an option to change your DNS

edit: If you do not know your default user name and password to your router and lost most people have not changed them.... There is 12 possible combinations and I would suggest you read this

http://www.sociallyuncensored.eu/forums/threads/how-to-help-secure-your-pc.10883/#post-162167

Yeah unfortunately the router is a POS and I haven't been able to access the settings since a flaw in my ISPs firmware update. Still meaning to contact my isp about that.

Yeah unfortunately the router is a POS and I haven't been able to access the settings since a flaw in my ISPs firmware update. Still meaning to contact my isp about that.
I would contact your ISP.

With this and with what you're claiming... It's clearly an ISP issue on your end. :(

I would force a hard refresh signal to your modem and force a new ip to be leased from your isp. (every isp has their own needed method of doing this some the same some unique)

Then as was said I would ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /registerdns ....

Also it would probably be better to set your modem to act as a gateway to your isp only and just use a router you pick up yourself from the store to create your internal network. I am afraid I have had nothing but bad experiences myself with those all in one solution modem/router/emta devices and there really isn't anything I was able to do besides what I explained...and since doing those things I have not had a problem myself.

Since your internet is going to go down in the middle of this process...you might want to have someone you can trust on the phone with you walking you through it step by step.

I would not wait.

A firmware issue could pose a security risk and could also brick your device (brick means turn it into a useless paper weight).

it's been like that for the last 6 -8 months. Virgin media (my isp) sends the update as it's a virgin media hub (*******s made me pay for it whilst new customers get it free) anyway I'm still protected with the password and I know nobody can access the settings as I can't access them myself. It would me to physically push a button (i think) to give others access it's a N class whatever that means but your right i should be doing it asap.

Feel free to move this thread if you want to general chat as it's not really XF related. I initially thought it was maybe a server problem or I may have had my account restricted which wasn't the case.

it's been like that for the last 6 -8 months. Virgin media (my isp) sends the update as it's a virgin media hub (*******s made me pay for it whilst new customers get it free) anyway I'm still protected with the password and I know nobody can access the settings as I can't access them myself. It would me to physically push a button (i think) to give others access it's a N class whatever that means but your right i should be doing it asap.

If you're talking about the WiFi functionality where you press a button and it allows others to connect to your Virgin Media Hub, there's a known security vulnerability :). All security consultants including myself are telling clients and people alike to TURN THAT FEATURE OFF.

Virgin media's all in one device is a pain in the a**

dslreports.com

^ A lot of useful information on your ISP and the devices they use. Maybe helpful to you :)

Virgin media's all in one device is a pain in the a**

dslreports.com

^ A lot of useful information on your ISP and the devices they use. Maybe helpful to you :)

yeah I read about all of that after I purchased the router. I initially got sent out 1 (never worked) 24 hours later another (that had problems) and then finally the 3rd one.

It's mad, because netgear are usually great products but i suspect it'll be my isps crap that they're send to it thats causing issues rather than the product itself

yeah I read about all of that after I purchased the router. I initially got sent out 1 (never worked) 24 hours later another (that had problems) and then finally the 3rd one.

It's mad, because netgear are usually great products but i suspect it'll be my isps crap that they're send to it thats causing issues rather than the product itself
If you're going to purchase your own router to avoid the cr*p from your ISP. I would strongly suggest TP-Link

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/buying-new-wireless-router.30964/

^^ This is whole thread about how good people liked it when I recommended it last time. You'll get a better signal and speeds no matter if using wired or wireless. TP-Links out preforms Netgear and Linksys / Cisco

Testing reply because xenforo.com seems to have not received my reply on another thread.

EDIT: I think I know what the problem is...!

Top Bottom