XF 2.1 [Extremely Newbie] Installing a theme to my XF forum

Draracle

Hi everyone,

I have little to no IT/computer experience and won't take any computer courses until high school, and have never owned a computer yet, so I apologize if I sound dumb. I have a forum up and live, the hosting is on siteground and the domain on godaddy.

I downloaded a free theme I really like, but the instructions are over my head. They are:

1. Upload the contents of the upload directory to the root of your XenForo installation.
  2. Go into your XenForo Admin Control Panel, click on Styles, and then click on "Import a Style" in the left-hand navigation list.
  3. Click on the upload file field, and then navigate to and select the style-argon.xml file.

Can someone explain as if they were speaking to a 5 yr old how to do this? I have no idea where the root of my XF installation is, or what that even means. Is that something I can find on siteground?

Thank you to whatever kind soul helps me. My XF version is whatever latest version for download is.

D

Since you got XenForo installed, I am assuming you have experience with the FTP, probably FileZilla or equivalent.

The root of your XenForo installation is usually the public_html directory where you see the following folders:
  • data
  • install
  • internal_data
  • js
  • library
  • src
  • styles
The styles folder is what you want. The style you download should contain an upload folder. Inside that folder is a styles folder. Drag that styles folder into the public_html folder.

There should also be xml file. Go to yourdomain.com/admin.php?styles/import and import the XML file.

Thank you Matt. Embarrassingly, someone else set the forum up for my classmates and I. Your explanation makes sense to me, I am clear on everything except where to find the public_html directory? Would I find that in my XenForo Admin panel? Or in the siteground account? I am not familiar with FTPs.

Yes, its in siteground account. It is where you have uploaded XenForo files when you were installing XenForo. Usually files are uploaded via FTP, though you could have uploaded it via web panel or something else.

Top Bottom