1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tafreehm, Sep 15, 2015.

1. tafreehm

tafreehm Well-Known Member

Looking to buy a new laptop... My picks are either MSI GE62 or LENOVO y50
    I am gonna be doing zero gaming but mostly gonna use it for general use.

Does anyone have any experience with either laptop?

2. nodle

nodle Well-Known Member

I would go with Lenovo over Msi.
  3. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

I use Lenovo (the old Thinkpad brand). Can't complain too much about it.
  4. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

I have a Lenovo tablet, works great for 2 years now.
  5. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

I own a Lenovo laptop for around a year and it is working fine.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

My wife had a Lenovo laptop for over 5 years. No issues. Well built. Managed to survive several sofa to floor drops thanks to a clumsy toddler ;)
    Russ likes this.
  7. tafreehm

tafreehm Well-Known Member

I think all of you are referring to Lenovo's professional series, I know those laptops are built to last long. How about Y (y50) series ?
  8. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

I'm talking about their IdeaPad G400 series (cheap).
  9. TheXboxCloud

TheXboxCloud Active Member

These brands may be good but I thought I should tell my experience with Toshiba. I have had a Toshiba labtop for almost 6 years now to still be in brand new condition and fast as lightning. It has been almost 6 years and my Toshiba labtop performs as if it's brand new.

I highly recommend any Toshiba for a labtop if you want it to last a long time.
  10. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

My wife's was an IdeaPad Z370
  11. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

I'd go MSI and Asus over Lenovo.
  12. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

If you don't buy a laptop for games, ask you why you buy it for:
    • aftersales services? (the quality can depend on brand but it also depends on brand policy in your country)
    • screen?
      • Having a 16:9 screen to work with is a joke. I didn't follow the news but most manufacturers gave up with them. I think Apple is still using 16:10 screens and may be a very few models of MSI (to check)
      • Resolution ? It's the same logic as previous point. Having a "FULL HD" means to have a 16:9 screen. On a 16:10 15'inch screen, the best resolutions would be at least 1600x1200 (UXGA) or 1920x1200 (WUXGA). I think Apple double this resolution (it's a kind of Retina ; to check).
      • I'm not even sure mat screens exist anymore, but to work with... there are really the best
      • Touchscreen ?
    • disassembly capacity? Former (Lenovo) Thinkpad could be disassembled very easily ( standard retaining screws, assembly drawing provided, etc.), the last I've seen had no visible screws...
    • battery capacity? Last models are much more efficient

Considering these factors, I prefer to have a less good battery capacity and a better screen (made for work). That's why buying second-hand products (recently companies renew their PC so you can find former models quite easily and with great price: 150€) is a best option for my needs. If you're looking for former Lenovo Thinkpad, I would recommend:
    • 15 inch screen: W500 (WUXGA) or T500 (check for the UXGA models) ; there are the last ThinkPad 15 inch 16:10 screens (if no new models came out recently)
    • 12,1 inch screen: X201s (WXGA+ 1440x900 => be sure to have this one) ; this is the last Thinkpad 12,1 inch 16:10 screen, but they are almost impossible to find in US and Europe
    • For fun look at theThinkPad W700ds.
    These models have still a drawback: they have a full display port; it can be plug to HDMI with a special cable but the sound will not work (except for the X201s but you will need to buy the docking station to have the full display port output). To overcome this problem, you need to buy a docking station with a digital sound output (most have one ; it's a yellow connector).

If you don't care the OS or money, want a good screen with recent technologies and a long life battery => apple or ... (I don't know yet but would be interested to ; so feel free to share).
  13. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

14. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

MSI has some of the worst customer service ive ever encountered.

Lenovo all the way.

Though my personal preference is Aorus
  15. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Lenovo Ideapad is great. But my God the touchpad is really annoying. I'm talking about the new generation, 2012 or more.

I have old Lenovo, G40. Touchpad are great. The new like Idepad 10/14, E455, etc touchpad are... :(
  16. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

I've been using Amazon for over 15 years. I've returned 3 things over those 15 years. One of them was an MSI laptop.

MSI is pretty low on my list these days, but Lenovo isn't particularly great either.
  17. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I own this G460 Laptop (Lenovo) almost 5 years now.
    But the hardware is not that great, even the battery.

I would prefer Asuz or Acer.
    I also own this very cheap Acer - http://www.pcworld.com/product/1253672/v5-552g-x414.html
    With 1TB HDD.

So I can't recommend msi or lenovo.
  18. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I like the ThinkPad line a lot. Never had any issues with my T-series or Lenovo.