If you have members who are older or less tech savvy folk, have you done anything to make your site easier to use?

Alternadiv

My forum's niche brings in a lot of older people (I have members in their 60s and 70s) as well as people who don't really know how to use the internet the way you and I do. People in the latter group would be those who only own a smart phone and no computer, who are only familiar with big apps like Facebook, etc. I get private messages somewhat often about how to do this or how to do that and so on. And that's fine. But it does make me want to simplify some things, make some things more front and center, and maybe take some things away completely.

One example is @Xon's font size switch seen in the navigation bar here. Another example would be simplifying account preferences and notification preferences by hiding or removing certain things. And I guess another example is disabling most of XF's core features such as profile posts, trophies, etc.

--

If you have made tweaks to your forum in this type of way, please share.

Last edited:
I just made some pictorial guides in an FAQ section for starting threads/adding pictures etc and link that when required and also push it to new members in a welcome message on signup

I keep number of forums to an absolute minimum.
Use of prefixes for categorisation and make them required so they have to learn to use them.
When they register I make them already watch the main forum with messages.
I don't include the text with email notifications, because otherwise some they then just reply to the email.
Changed Reply phrase to Reply with Quote

I strip out as much functionality as possible, especially on our support forums and keep a minimal forum list. I use a high contrast theme with larger text and try to support screen readers. On registration we send out an email containing a user guide. I also regularly check that our pinned posts containing technical support information are up to date and relevant.

The idea of reducing functionality doesn't strike me as the best idea, it's dumbing down rather than trying to raise the level of members. Yes some old members have trouble with new technologies but it's not because they are dumber than the others it's just that they are in a new world.
I think video tutorials can help to understand XenForo, at least for the main features. A FAQ seems to me to be mandatory in this context, and a listening and pedagogical moderation team will finish training this old audience.
Not everyone will use all of XenForo's features - but who does? - but it would be a shame to see members upload photos to hosting sites and then paste the link in a message, for example, when XenForo provides the same service in 2 clicks...

The idea of reducing functionality doesn't strike me as the best idea, it's dumbing down rather than trying to raise the level of members.
In my case that's not going to happen. Even now they complain saying: why can't we use WhatsApp instead. So the simpler it is the easier to counter that argument.

I know they are not going to be "educated," and actually it isn't really so much due to age as due to being familiar and ingrained with WhatsApp as a way to communicate where they don't have to serach for the right forum to post in.

The forum format is much better for waht we do as it includes a Neighbourhood watch and recommended tradespeople where being able to teach the history is very useful. I know m you know that, they may even deep down kbelieve me when I say that but they still say "Oh, but why can't we just have WhatsApp though?"

The idea of reducing functionality doesn't strike me as the best idea, it's dumbing down rather than trying to raise the level of members. Yes some old members have trouble with new technologies but it's not because they are dumber than the others it's just that they are in a new world.
If you take these forums as being typical, virtually all the content consists of no more than typed input, perhaps a quote and a 'Post reply'. It's not so much about dumbing it down for a minority, for me it's about ease of use for everyone.

I strip functions from all my forums. I have virtually no desktop users and I found out long ago that simplicity is the key to getting mobile users to engage. This is especially so if your membership is predominantly elderly. There's nothing worse than trying to hit a couple of pixels on a small viewport with diminishing eyesight and sausage fingers, something I'm all too familiar with!

I certainly agree that some forums are better served by a wealth of functions but those functions should never result in an abandoned post.

If you take these forums as being typical, virtually all the content consists of no more than typed input, perhaps a quote and a 'Post reply'. It's not so much about dumbing it down for a minority, for me it's about ease of use for everyone.

I strip functions from all my forums. I have virtually no desktop users and I found out long ago that simplicity is the key to getting mobile users to engage. This is especially so if your membership is predominantly elderly. There's nothing worse than trying to hit a couple of pixels on a small viewport with diminishing eyesight and sausage fingers, something I'm all too familiar with!

I certainly agree that some forums are better served by a wealth of functions but those functions should never result in an abandoned post.
Can I see your forum to see how it looks with things stripped and improved for mobile?

A lot of good ideas in here. Another is your theme, I like to keep a constant color pattern, and then make sure the 'Post thread' & 'Post reply' are a more highlighted color. That way it draws the user's eyes to the buttons that are most important.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 8.47.47 AM.webp

For you i'd make the url easy so that people can get to your forum.

Make the whole thing easy for everyone to join.

Write everything down in a notebook first.

Look around at colours and themes.

Then make a start on the content.

The older members all seem to figure it out - it's the young, social media app kids that can't seem to understand how to use a forum, or navigate a website on a mobile device. How do you make it simple for them? LOL!

Think like an old person in your presentation.
or an adhd person.

you and i may see a messy room.

PRI_96028111.jpg

others may see an impossible mess, get anxious, and not know what to do or where to even start, stress about it, sweat, and ultimately forget why we went in the room in the first place.

Keep it simple.

as few categories as possible.
as few links/buttons as possible.
stupid as possible.

you'd be surprised how good something as simple as this 2 button website could work for conversion.

1682103292957.webp

I've catered to primarily mature motorcyclists for several decades, and today most of them go to my site using a mobile device.

If you've got some proficient members, setup a non-public forum that allows them to post/respond to usability questions. Members typically like helping members.

I find that a general forum where you have a bit of everything gets the older folk involved.
Think of minimum work involved it getting it up and running.
Finding something in common with the older folk for example, pet talk, food talk. Get them talking about it.
Some people love old traditional recipes. They will post up theirs and sit around chatting about them all day long.

Some of my forums do skew older, as the demographic is often of an older average age anyway, especially with one of the larger forums I run. For that one, it's heartening that different aspects of that particular niche is drawing in some younger users, and some have taken it upon themselves to give the less technical oriented a tip or two along the way. Many members are very helpful like that.

That said, we've tipped over the 50% mark for mobile/tablet usage, so my upcoming makeover is going to feature larger touchpoints for those menus and features. I won't be limiting features when I launch, but one thing I have done is create a private add-on that can pull the first post from a thread and display that in either a page node or the help system by using a callback. That way, I get a usable text editor, and the help documents are more easily updated. For now I have a few pages of different rule sets, along with FAQ pages that further explain our policies. Other FAQ or Help pages are going to feature a lot of how-to screenshots as well.

Those who want to learn will then have a means to read our "official" instructions, or get help from others who know their way around.

One thing that has staff overworked is policing our Classified Ad section. When the makeover launches, sellers have to fill out about a dozen custom thread fields with information, and all will be required. This will be the biggest improvement for staff, and also keep sellers from getting frustrated from having ads pulled for a lack of information.

At least in our niche for this one forum, I want to do things that the others aren't doing to make the forum easiest to use. Many just install a forum, add a logo, tweak colors, and they're done.

One thing that has staff overworked is policing our Classified Ad section. When the makeover launches, sellers have to fill out about a dozen custom thread fields with information, and all will be required. This will be the biggest improvement for staff, and also keep sellers from getting frustrated from having ads pulled for a lack of information.
Have you looked at Bob's CAS add-on?

Top Bottom