XF 1.1 Move server and and then upgrade to 1.2.2?

Chirp

Hi guys,

I am a total newbie when it comes to this but I've been tasked to do this.

We currently have an installation of 1.1 with a theme (no longer updateable) on a shared hosting solution. Given what's planned for the future, we decided to move to a shared hosting. We are now wondering what the best way to upgrade is.

Would it be

1. Istall XenForo 1.1 on the new server freshly
2. Export database (?) on old server
3. Import the database from old forums in the newly installed XenForo on new server?
Question: What about all the addons installed, do they have to be installed again again or can they be partially ignored?
4. Update the installation to 1.2.2
5. Install the planned theme for 1.2.2
We have made modifications to a 1.2 theme on the testbed we'd like to transfer. Can these be expored and imported?
6. Import changes to theme 1.2.2

Done?

Or can we install XenForo 1.2.2 on the new server directly and then import the database (1.1.x)? I know there are importer for all kinds of software solutions, so maybe there is also one for older installations?

How would you guys handle such a situation?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I am a total newbie when it comes to this but I've been tasked to do this.
1. Istall XenForo 1.1 on the new server freshly

I haven't done one in a while, but what I did was just copy my existing directory structure for the forum onto my computer and then uploaded it to the correct location on the new server. I then (after exporting my DB) imported my DB into a duplicate named one on the new server. That way everything should remain the same.

I then checked which add-ons that I used that were not 1.2 compatible and removed them and then disabled all other add-ons.
Upon doing that I upgraded the forum to 1.2 and then upgraded the add-ons after enabling them again.

Or can we install XenForo 1.2.2 on the new server directly and then import the database (1.1.x)? I know there are importer for all kinds of software solutions, so maybe there is also one for older installations?
How would you guys handle such a situation?
Thanks!
Doing this should bring your users, posts, etc over but none of the add-ons. You will have to install and configure them all over again (I am pretty sure - again, I've not done an import from an existing xenForo installation to another one but it stands to reason that is the way it will work since the other importers do this).

Personally I would upgrade to 1.2.2 on the existing installation and then move it to the new server.
You currently have a stable, working installation so that is the best platform to use when upgrading.

Moving servers is then simply a matter of copying the files across and exporting/importing the database.

See this thread for how to upgrade to 1.2: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...nt-information-and-actions-to-be-taken.56027/

Top Bottom