Implemented...ish Making the case for a XF native app

Ludachris

I know XF is forum software, and I understand that forums are fundamentally different than social media. I know that Tapatalk is a viable option for many forum owners. I've tried it but it wasn't the right solution for my site, mainly because it doesn't work with various plugins that website owners tend to use to try and set themselves apart from their competition and make their forums more sticky and cool (among a few other deal breakers). I understand that an app is costly to develop and that it's difficult to come up with something that will make the masses happy.

With of all that said, here's the case I'm making for an XF native forum app:

If your forum members take photos using their phones, where are they more likely to share those photos these days? The road blocks and extra steps it takes to open a browser on the phone, navigate to your forum, click around and find the right place to post the photo in the forum, and then use the upload feature to click around and locate the photo on the phone takes WAY more time than clicking the Share button after you take that photo and selecting FB or Instagram. And when you have a lot of the people in that forum as friends on your social network, why go through the extra hassle of also sharing that content in a forum?

Social media networks have given the user the ability to make their own networks that they used to depend on forums to access. I don't think this will kill forums, but it will certainly start taking away from a big part of what used to make forums sticky. For some communities - take the car enthusiast communities for example - those photos signify what a member is working on at the moment with their car, and that is an extremely important community-building element that is starting to drop off in forums these days because it's FAR EASIER to share that content on social media via mobile, especially with the upward trend in mobile device usage for interaction. This is not a problem that is/will be exclusive to the automotive community.

I've been talking with members of my site for several months about this, getting their feedback and taking notes. The consistent message coming back is that the forum will always be a great place for finding technical information, but that FB is becoming more preferred for engaging and networking with other car enthusiasts because of how simple it is to use, especially on a mobile device. The problem is, being a technical resource ONLY is not going to keep a forum community thriving.

Over 65% of my traffic views the site on a mobile device these days. I'm using a mobile friendly theme without Tapatalk (for various reasons). And though the site is easy enough to use on a mobile device, I would LOVE to have an app that is native to XF that was build in a way that it coule be extended by some of the talented plugin developers we have in this community (like @Bob who built Showcase and other cool content-centered plugins). If I install an app it has to encompass all areas of the site where I collect content - when that user clicks Share after they take a photo I need to be able to give them quick and easy options to share that content in my forum somewhere so that they don't just share it on FB or IG instead.

The simplicity and ease of sharing content from mobile is becoming more and more expected from the average user. And the traditional way the user has to go about posting in a forum is falling behind in terms of modern day usability. I'm not advocating forums be more like social media. I'm advocating exploring ways to make forums as easy to use as social media on mobile device and doing it in a way that it's extendable - so that plugin developers can tie their plugins into standardized locations.

I'd pay an upfront license fee and a monthly fee for that and I know quite a few other forum owners who run their forum as a business and rely on advertising revenue would invest in this as well. I'd think it's worth exploring and I imagine the XF decision makers probably already have, and probably keep revisiting as mobile usage continues to increase. As someone who didn't used to be too concerned about social media being a competitor a few years back I now see why it's very possible that forums could be used less and less for sharing content and networking among people with similar interests - which could turn forums into obsolete, searchable newsgroups.

We need to keep people engaged and make it extremely easy to have new, quality content posted on our sites. I've always felt XF was forward thinking in the forum space, which is why I moved over from vB last year. I'm hoping the XF devs will seriously consider revolutionizing the way members post content on forums using mobile devices, I like most everything else they've done with the script so far.

Upvote 56
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Would it handle notifications like an app?
Not on iOS as Apple does not support the necessary API; they do not want that websites/web-apps can use things like Push Notifications to vendor-lock developers into native Apps in order to keep exclusivity for their platform.

Not on iOS as Apple does not support the necessary API; they do not want that websites/web-apps can use things like Push Notifications to vendor-lock developers into native Apps in order to keep exclusivity for their platform.
Of course... well over half my mobile viewers are on iPhone devices. Apple really is making it nearly impossible for us to be competitive.

Would it handle notifications like an app? How about being able to access the phone's camera as a sharing destination? Those are the two critical functions we need from an app.

It can handle notifications. And it can upload photos from the phone, as every browser window can. It can however not trigger the shutter of your camera.

Please merge this thread with this one as most of us made our suggestions there too without realizing, that this was the pre-sales forum:

I'm bumping this thread since the XF app is back on trending here and other places like TAZ.

The mobile version works very fine for me, but for my clients, is not everybody who have a very good smartphone to handle all the technology inside the system and i have many complains about slowness on some cellphones.

A XF app is my main request on my site and i can't handle the costs to look for a own developer, instead of a official one.

The XF Team can easily charge for a "extra" if the owner wants one and all the App/Play Store should be managed by the own site proprietary. No way of doing 'one app to rule all forums' thing, like the Forum killer knows as Tapatalk.

Maybe XF should hear the client base and reconsider this option. Many competitors are already offering a solution, why XF is going in the another direction?

And well, if it will available in some future, for sure that I'm going to buy it on the first release, even if cost the same license price.

A PWA where XF templates are compiled into templates that can be used with a JS template engine combined with a service worker to handle caching and request all data as JSON would be pretty cool :)

If something like this ever get developed, why charge extra?

It should be in the core, we already pay yearly fees.

If something like this ever get developed, why charge extra?

It should be in the core, we already pay yearly fees.

Well, is like the others official XF add-ons. There is no such a thing like a 'free lunch', or free app in that case, right?

They charge for everything. And is not everybody that want a app. Since would be extra work for the development, they should charge for all the extra work. This sounds right for me and for the worker.

Well, is like the others official XF add-ons. There is no such a thing like a 'free lunch', or free app in that case, right?

They charge for everything. And is not everybody that want a app. Since would be extra work for the development, they should charge for all the extra work. This sounds right for me and for the worker.
No. Not everybody needs a Media Gallery or a Resource Manager or the Elastic Search (ES should be free btw anyway because they don't provide any features for it). But everyone needs an app, that is hilarious to say "not everybody wants one". We live in 2020 not in 2010. Everybody has a phone, everyone is using apps. And how is it "free lunch", when we already pay renewal fees? That already covers the cost. Since it would be extra work for development? Lol what? And for what do we pay the renewal fees? For their good lookings?
Now, if some kind of innovation would be involved, then I can get behind it. It depends on the level of features. But I don't think we will see an app to be honest for the 2.x releases. They are betting on the PWAs. I believe for XF 3.0 it can be realistically expected (if such things ever happens). Because I would believe the complete XF system would need to change for making it compatible with mobile apps. It sounds like a re-write to me because responsive design is not the same as a mobile design. I cannot imagine you can just create a mobile app based on responsive css design.

There's absolutely no way anyone should ever be expecting a "free" app. It's ridiculous to even suggest it and arguing for it for free is one of the reasons we won't see it. No company's going to sink tons of time and money into devlopment of something unless it benefits their business. What benefit does XF get from developing an app for free?

What benefit does XF get from developing XF 2.2?

There is a significant difference in time that goes into developing an update like 2.2 and time that would go into developing a mobile app with the latter being many magnitudes larger. And that's just for stock, not to speak of the headache that add-ons add to this task.

But everyone needs an app

No, not in the slightest. In fact site-specific apps now are even more annoying than in times gone by. I would suggest actually, and I will go wash my mouth out with soap for uttering these words... but tapatalk has it right in the business model of collating the communities together under 1 app. As a forum owner that seems horrible when your competitors will be there next to you... but as an end user it makes sense.

There is a significant difference in time that goes into developing an update like 2.2 and time that would go into developing a mobile app with the latter being many magnitudes larger. And that's just for stock, not to speak of the headache that add-ons add to this task.
How does IPS offer it for free then? Do they work for free? I really hate this pseudo-argument. Who said anything about free? Why do we pay yearly renewals? Charge regularly for updates, and then when there is an update, charge extra on top of what we already pay?

Look, I don't actually care if free or not. This whole discussion is just hypothetically, it is not like they will work on it anytime soon. And for careful readers, I said:
Now, if some kind of innovation would be involved, then I can get behind it. It depends on the level of features.
It all depends on how they would do it. I don't want a half-baked thing like the official addons. I want it in the core and fully supported (with 3rd party addons). Then, take our money. If not, I expect it just like a regular update. If IPS can do it, so can XF. But of course, with the progress speed we have here...

No, not in the slightest. In fact site-specific apps now are even more annoying than in times gone by. I would suggest actually, and I will go wash my mouth out with soap for uttering these words... but tapatalk has it right in the business model of collating the communities together under 1 app. As a forum owner that seems horrible when your competitors will be there next to you... but as an end user it makes sense.
To be honest with you, I don't think it is horrible. Actually I made the same "innovative" suggestion a year ago or something.

I also think that how Tapatalk does it should be our role model. Actually, my role model is reddit. I suggested a "hub" page just like reddit. So all XF sites that opt-in are listed in this hub place. And across all these forums, just like the reddit "Home" tab, the most popular threads and stuff get seen there. Think XF forums as subreddits of this hub place. And by doing that, we all can use 1 single app. So site-specific or collating the communities together under 1 app, that doesn't matter for me. We just need a way to be on the same level as modern development. Feed the stuff what people expect, and that's an app. But as I said, I expect such a thing for XF 3.0, not before.

How does IPS offer it for free then? Do they work for free? I really hate this pseudo-argument. Who said anything about free? Why do we pay yearly renewals? Charge regularly for updates, and then when there is an update, charge extra on top of what we already pay?
What pseudo-argument? I never even scratched the word pricing in my reply. XF is 3 developers, and they're releasing one second dot release a year. An app simply doesn't fit into that cycle, period. Doesn't have anything to do with pricing or anything else you wanna claim I argued. I'm just listing out arguments that everybody ignores who loves to shout "we need an app!!!!". I didn't even say I'm against an app for what is worth.

What pseudo-argument? I never even scratched the word pricing in my reply.
But you quoted my reply to someone else, who argued that. And you were backing up his argument. And that argument is a pseudo argument. And since you backed him up, it looked like you have the same opinion.

XF is 3 developers, and they're releasing one second dot release a year. An app simply doesn't fit into that cycle, period.
I agree that it doesn't fit into that cycle. Now, the question is, is that cycle optimally used or not. Because if I am a pizza delivery driver and I hand out a pizza once in 12 hours, then of course you cannot expect from this guy to deliver 5 more pizzas in the same time. Now the question is, is that 12 hours justified for 1 pizza delivery...

Doesn't have anything to do with pricing or anything else you wanna claim I argued. I didn't even say I'm against an app for what is worth.
It looked like you were, if not, sorry.

How does IPS offer it for free then? Do they work for free?
Not entirely true, also as the app is in beta right now things will likely change.

Highlighted the important bit that makes these things possible to continue growth.

1586898564546.webp

Reading all this discussion here and in other places, i can see how our realities are very different in each country/audience.

In my impression, in most developed/rich countries, the people usually doesn't need a app. A very functional webpage like XenForo usually do the trick. Maybe because the majority of the people have mid/high-end smartphones.

In my country for instance, everybody hates web apps, called browsers, like @estranged said. Here everybody needs a damn app for everything. The main complain along my user base is that my site is very "heavy" on battery consumption, data and performance of their celphones (not server speed).

They just don't like using web for a service that they use 24h/day. They prefer a dedicated app, even for branding, marketing and some kind of "credibility".

Well, let's see where this is going. Let's keep flowing the chat.

Top Bottom