Implemented...ish Making the case for a XF native app

Ludachris

I know XF is forum software, and I understand that forums are fundamentally different than social media. I know that Tapatalk is a viable option for many forum owners. I've tried it but it wasn't the right solution for my site, mainly because it doesn't work with various plugins that website owners tend to use to try and set themselves apart from their competition and make their forums more sticky and cool (among a few other deal breakers). I understand that an app is costly to develop and that it's difficult to come up with something that will make the masses happy.

With of all that said, here's the case I'm making for an XF native forum app:

If your forum members take photos using their phones, where are they more likely to share those photos these days? The road blocks and extra steps it takes to open a browser on the phone, navigate to your forum, click around and find the right place to post the photo in the forum, and then use the upload feature to click around and locate the photo on the phone takes WAY more time than clicking the Share button after you take that photo and selecting FB or Instagram. And when you have a lot of the people in that forum as friends on your social network, why go through the extra hassle of also sharing that content in a forum?

Social media networks have given the user the ability to make their own networks that they used to depend on forums to access. I don't think this will kill forums, but it will certainly start taking away from a big part of what used to make forums sticky. For some communities - take the car enthusiast communities for example - those photos signify what a member is working on at the moment with their car, and that is an extremely important community-building element that is starting to drop off in forums these days because it's FAR EASIER to share that content on social media via mobile, especially with the upward trend in mobile device usage for interaction. This is not a problem that is/will be exclusive to the automotive community.

I've been talking with members of my site for several months about this, getting their feedback and taking notes. The consistent message coming back is that the forum will always be a great place for finding technical information, but that FB is becoming more preferred for engaging and networking with other car enthusiasts because of how simple it is to use, especially on a mobile device. The problem is, being a technical resource ONLY is not going to keep a forum community thriving.

Over 65% of my traffic views the site on a mobile device these days. I'm using a mobile friendly theme without Tapatalk (for various reasons). And though the site is easy enough to use on a mobile device, I would LOVE to have an app that is native to XF that was build in a way that it coule be extended by some of the talented plugin developers we have in this community (like @Bob who built Showcase and other cool content-centered plugins). If I install an app it has to encompass all areas of the site where I collect content - when that user clicks Share after they take a photo I need to be able to give them quick and easy options to share that content in my forum somewhere so that they don't just share it on FB or IG instead.

The simplicity and ease of sharing content from mobile is becoming more and more expected from the average user. And the traditional way the user has to go about posting in a forum is falling behind in terms of modern day usability. I'm not advocating forums be more like social media. I'm advocating exploring ways to make forums as easy to use as social media on mobile device and doing it in a way that it's extendable - so that plugin developers can tie their plugins into standardized locations.

I'd pay an upfront license fee and a monthly fee for that and I know quite a few other forum owners who run their forum as a business and rely on advertising revenue would invest in this as well. I'd think it's worth exploring and I imagine the XF decision makers probably already have, and probably keep revisiting as mobile usage continues to increase. As someone who didn't used to be too concerned about social media being a competitor a few years back I now see why it's very possible that forums could be used less and less for sharing content and networking among people with similar interests - which could turn forums into obsolete, searchable newsgroups.

We need to keep people engaged and make it extremely easy to have new, quality content posted on our sites. I've always felt XF was forward thinking in the forum space, which is why I moved over from vB last year. I'm hoping the XF devs will seriously consider revolutionizing the way members post content on forums using mobile devices, I like most everything else they've done with the script so far.

Upvote 56
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Lol. Case in point took an ungodly time to put the italics above on m-browser because the highlight wouldn't take.
Really? I have no problem with font styling using a mobile browser...

...unlike Tapatalk which (unless it has changed in the last year since I dropped it) has no problems with this issue - it simply doesn't support basic font styling whatsoever! :rolleyes:

mobile_usage.webp

Not putting great effort in delivering the best possible user experience for mobile devices would be a mistake.

Stats from http://gs.statcounter.com/

Could we steer the discussion away from Tapatalk which is a great example of how to not do a native app (it's not even designed specifically for XF)? The OP makes a great case for a native app in his own.

Last edited:
Everyone who feels like this isn't an issue keeps focusing on the "browsing" aspect... browsing forums isn't the main issue. That's not where forums are at a major disadvantage. A mobile friendly theme will help that quite a bit for the browsing experience, though it still isn't ideal in some cases. The main problem is INTERACTING with forums, particularly in a situation immediately following content generation on a mobile device. I mentioned content sharing in my original post - that's where forums get clunky when you're not using an app. The ability to take a photo and quickly share that photo in a forum somewhere is critical - it's the main reason why you will see your users sharing updates on FB or IG where they would have normally shared it on your forum a few years back.

The ease of content sharing and push notifications are two major issues, along with a bunch of minor issues that can probably be addressed through browser and core script improvements.

So the path many forum owners take is Tapatalk...

The biggest issue with Tapatalk is, and always will be that it forces the forum owner to limit the features of the forum. Your forum becomes another generic "group" in their list of forums - it essentially becomes another Facebook group. Your users will not see any custom sections or features outside of the basic forum structure. For those who want to make their sites different from every other standard forum out there, you absolutely cannot use Tapatalk - your users will never see any of those features through the TT app. And with as easy as it is to launch a forum these days, and with the increasing usage of FB groups and other social media solutions out there vying for the same content that has traditionally been posted in forums, being innovative seems more important than ever. One of the reasons my site became the largest in its market was due to the features I made available that weren't available on the competitor forums. It's really tough for your community to stand out in the Tapatalk app.

I'm not a prophet trying to get everyone to buy into doom and gloom. I am trying to create tools that we, as forum owners can use to compete with the changing user behavior and the bigger networks. I'm always looking for a competitive advantage, and I am constantly reminded about the disadvantages of forums in today's mobile world. We have to try and be pioneers and look ahead if we want to remain relevant and useful in our niches.

/soapbox.

Last edited:
Could we steer the discussion away from Tapatalk which is a great example of how to not do a native app (it's not even designed specifically for XF)? The OP makes a great case for a native app in his own.
Tapatalk was raised, by me at least, because of this post:

They want a "one size fits all" application that works on multiple forums, regardless of the forum software used. This is why Tapatalk is so popular among mobile users.

It is relevant to the discussion. If this is what mobile users want ie 'one app to rule them all' then you are going to get something like Tapatalk which bows to the lowest common denominator and has cut down functions because it can't possibly support all the different ones on all of the different forum types out there. The only other alternative is to have native apps for each of the different forum types, so that means one for XenForo (as the OP is suggesting), one for IPB, one for vBulletin and so on. That's multiple apps for the various different forums that users visit. That's also not taking into account the 'white label' apps that some XenForo forums would probably want rather than a 'generic' XenForo app to access them all.

So do mobile users really want multiple apps? I don't think they do, they just want one and IMO the best solution in the long run is a good, responsive website with great design for both desktop and mobile use.

Tapatalk was raised, by me at least, because of this post:

It is relevant to the discussion. If this is what mobile users want ie 'one app to rule them all' then you are going to get something like Tapatalk which bows to the lowest common denominator and has cut down functions because it can't possibly support all the different ones on all of the different forum types out there. The only other alternative is to have native apps for each of the different forum types, so that means one for XenForo (as the OP is suggesting), one for IPB, one for vBulletin and so on. That's multiple apps for the various different forums that users visit. That's also not taking into account the 'white label' apps that some XenForo forums would probably want rather than a 'generic' XenForo app to access them all.

So do mobile users really want multiple apps? I don't think they do, they just want one and IMO the best solution in the long run is a good, responsive website with great design for both desktop and mobile use.

I'm probably one of the bigest mobile users here. And I certainly don't want a myraid of different apps, I barely use the ones that are on my phone now, I prefer using the browser.

As a mobile user, no, I do not want any more apps. I also don't like major corporations, retail outlets, etc. forcing apps on us, as some are really nothing more than captive web browsers anyway, and a way of marketing by depositing their logo on your home screen. There is a way in Chrome to do this--choose "Add to Home Screen" from the Chrome settings menu. It makes the site open up in its own window without the browser controls. Nice!

About a case for a mobile app, though, if a site is responsive, and the theme adapts graciously, it can be as friendly as an app. The default XF theme here could use some enhancements in the most narrow of modes, so why doesn't someone take the initiative and make a more mobile-friendly responsive theme? I have seen some sites change completely when viewed on a mobile browser, and they turn out to be quite usable that way. I no longer have time to do coding or styling, or I'd enhance the default theme myself. I never have an issue typing (actually, swiping) a message.

There are, however, two features that I miss. Notifications is one of them. Yes, I know email is a notification of sorts, but that can be clumsy. I have tried an add-on which uses Pushbullet, but on a larger board we would need to pay for the heavy usage, and the app is, quite frankly, terrible. (There is no way to mass delete notifications, and the notification is way too wordy.) A native XF notification app, with the "engine" for it running on our own server, would be idea. To have it support multiple forums would be a must-have feature. Having it notify admins of reported posts, moderated content and new users would be very helpful for staff.

The other feature is the sharing of photos. I actually do this quite easily via mobile, but it does require a separate trip to each forum I want to post to. Thing is, sharing is very impractical in a forum situation, so I can see why it would be hard to implement. If you shared simply via an icon (alongside all the other social media icons)...where should your shared image go? Should it be in a profile post by default? A private conversation...and to which member, and is it a new conversation or a reply to an existing one? It can't go directly to a thread, since you'd have to be certain you're logged into the forum and be able to choose which thread it should be posted in. And what happens in the case of multiple forums? It is not as simple as uploading to a site like Instagram, where your image can only go in one place. For a default image share, however, the best default location would be as a profile post, perhaps with a share link to share it in a forum thread at a later time.

On mobile, I simply tap Upload a File, it opens a menu, I choose the photo, upload it, and leave a comment. Done.

To keep members from requesting demanding Tapatalk three years after we ripped it out, we simply tell them the facts--the poor support, the dishonesty, the server security issues, the privacy and spam issues....everything. And we reminded them of the nag dialogs that would pop open constantly. That usually satisfies all but the most stubborn, who have that personal entitlement chip on their shoulder (*I* want it, so it must be reinstalled). We saw little if any dip in traffic on a big board I yanked it from, and on others, it was more a curiosity than anything else.

Really? I have no problem with font styling using a mobile browser...

...unlike Tapatalk which (unless it has changed in the last year since I dropped it) has no problems with this issue - it simply doesn't support basic font styling whatsoever! :rolleyes:

Yeah. I wanted to italicizes afterwards, and tapping at the screen wouldn't highlight the world. Had to place the cursor behind it, delete it, hit the I, then retype. All after fuddling with the zoom size in the quick reply area.

What Tapatalk does/doesn't do is a misdirect. We are talking about a native XF app.

I can't believe the whole mobile app vs. responsive is even up for debate... The current marketplace is proof that people want and use mobile apps over mobile browser. Nobody is going to their social media or banking mobile sites, they are using the app.

App overload is open for debate. I suspect it comes down to a demographics issue. Young generation is probably going to go for mobile apps even with crippled features. You need 2 different Facebook apps to get browser functionality of FB, yet that is still the choice users make.

It's not an Official XenForo App. Slavik is releasing it, not XenForo.
But it's probably the best you can get for now. :)
Maybe if it treads water Slavik will sell the rights to the XF devs. It's happened before. Not likely though since I believe development is farmed out, unlike Chris's gallery that was created by him exclusively.

Last edited:
Since an employee of XenForo took the burden to plan to release third party apps for XenForo soon, I doubt that official XenForo thinks about creating an official app anywhere in the next future.

Also a third party XenForo app already exists.

Problem with native apps is that they do not fit most XenForo installations. There is almost no XenForo installation without add-ons. And no add-ons are supported in a native app. You would need to create your own native XenForo app, if you use any add-ons.

I'd be interested in your thoughts, is Slavik's the best app? Is it not? And why

How should I know it, given the fact that the app isn't even available now?

But Fred. seem to know it. That's why I asked.

But given the info already available I doubt it will be the best app for most sites. Because it is said that no add-ons will be supported.

Top Bottom