How much RAM will be needed for a XF forum?

Feanor

I'm looking at changing both forum software and hosts. I currently use a shared host that specializes in vBulletin. I'm not sure about the memory usage.

I'm planning on changing the server before I purchase/install XF. Managed VPS is probably the best fit and one of the options I'm looking at is Knownhost, although I'm still looking around. Their VPS plan starts at "2 GB guaranteed RAM" and I'm wondering if this will be enough for the size of the forum, which is on the largeish size.

It has 5 - 10 million posts. Its activity predictably fluctuates and it's currently in a slow period. The busy season will start again sometime next year, so I need to account for this, although I won't be sure just how busy it will be. Current daily member logins are about 500, but this could go to about 1500+ based on the last busy season. Daily posts are about 1000, but this could jump to 7000+. I'd also need to be ready for it potentially being even more active than the previous busy season.

I'd post this in the server and hosting board, but I don't have a license just yet. Thanks for your help.

With that many posts you will want to use ElasticSearch over MySQL search, I would probably look for something with a little more to be honest.

Though 500 users over 24 hours, 2gb on a well optimized system would be fine for now.

With that many posts you will want to use ElasticSearch over MySQL search, I would probably look for something with a little more to be honest.

Though 500 users over 24 hours, 2gb on a well optimized system would be fine for now.

Their next plan goes up to 4 GB, so not exactly a big leap there. Although it is double. Any idea on how much should be safe?

I haven't heard of ElasticSearch before. Where can I find info about that with XenForo? Edit: I see you have a link in your signature, actually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom