Lost and overwhelmed!

Can someone give me a quick list of things I need to do before I get a Xenforo representative to install Xenforo for me? I'm a total noob at this and am rather overwhelmed. I don't want to request someone installs it then mess them around because I haven't taken the right steps beforehand.
I have a xenforo license plus installation.
I have a domain sorted
and I also have hosting
What do I need to do to link them all together?

Can someone give me a quick list of things I need to do before I get a Xenforo representative to install Xenforo for me? I'm a total noob at this and am rather overwhelmed. I don't want to request someone installs it then mess them around because I haven't taken the right steps beforehand.
I have a xenforo license plus installation.
I have a domain sorted
and I also have hosting
What do I need to do to link them all together?

You need to think whether you'll want XF installed "at root" or in a directory.
What this means is what happens when someone uses your domain www.NAME.com
Do you want visitors to go straight to the XF forum when they use that domain? Or do you want XF to be in its own separate directory?

What's the difference? well you might want the first home page to be an ordinary site page with a link to your XF forum on it. NO?
Then next consider if you might want it like this in the future. Once set up it's a pain to change it.
One potential option is you might one day want to install another software as well and some will only work on a direct basis, at root.

On balance I think it's safest if you tell the team here to do the installation into a directory.
Then what do you call t?
forum
forums
Not recommended as the address pathway can end up www.NAME.com/forum/forum
community
discuss
discussion
circle
net
network
xf
etc

You can also twiddle things (redirect) so visitors actually arrive directly at the forums when they use the domain name even though that isn't the way it's really structured.

Top Bottom