1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost and overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Miss_Unpredictable, May 24, 2013.

1. Miss_Unpredictable

Miss_Unpredictable New Member

Can someone give me a quick list of things I need to do before I get a Xenforo representative to install Xenforo for me? I'm a total noob at this and am rather overwhelmed. I don't want to request someone installs it then mess them around because I haven't taken the right steps beforehand.
    I have a xenforo license plus installation.
    I have a domain sorted
    and I also have hosting
    What do I need to do to link them all together?
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

In the customer area there should be a link for the install service you purchased:

You need to enter your hosting information there.
  3. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

You need to think whether you'll want XF installed "at root" or in a directory.
    What this means is what happens when someone uses your domain www.NAME.com
    Do you want visitors to go straight to the XF forum when they use that domain? Or do you want XF to be in its own separate directory?

What's the difference? well you might want the first home page to be an ordinary site page with a link to your XF forum on it. NO?
    Then next consider if you might want it like this in the future. Once set up it's a pain to change it.
    One potential option is you might one day want to install another software as well and some will only work on a direct basis, at root.

On balance I think it's safest if you tell the team here to do the installation into a directory.
    Then what do you call t?
    Not recommended as the address pathway can end up www.NAME.com/forum/forum

You can also twiddle things (redirect) so visitors actually arrive directly at the forums when they use the domain name even though that isn't the way it's really structured.
    whynot likes this.