1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Links to external content

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by zappaDPJ, Jul 29, 2010.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

Perhaps not a bug as such but personally I'd prefer links, especially those that point to external content, to open in a new browser window.

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Changed this earlier today. :)

zappaDPJ likes this.
  3. Corey

Corey Active Member

What about profile links? EX: The "Home page" link.

4. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I think it'd be best if it were an admin option, maybe even with a whitelist of domains that would open in the same tab/window.

5. Mike

That's reasonable (new window on member view).

6. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I haven't actually looked yet but are external links having the rel="external" or class="external" added? I really would like to have an icon next to external links that show they are external and will open in a new tab/window...

Edit: Just checked and as far as I can tell they are not... and further more signature links are currently not nofollow... is this by design? On an SEO point and spam prevention I would change this.

7. Mike

The "option" is hard coded right now, but links lose nofollow after a number (10?) of posts, so they start off with it.

As for external links, we don't actually check what's "external" and "internal" now. Ideally, we want internal links in posts to not open a new window, so we'd have to pick up the difference for that, so a rel/class isn't an issue then.

8. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Cool this is good to hear :)... I like the nofollow to begin with but then being removed nice :D

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

10. Floris

Floris Guest

it is so cool that xf has a lot of these little things simply in the software. without having to add bloatware like vbseo.