KnownHost Server Configuration?

@DRE - I am thinking about moving over to knownhost from BlueHost, but I was wondering how you feel about them now? I just wanted a real user's opinion who runs a large site themselves.

Reactions: DRE
They are stable and I have no issues. I changed my sites name, had about three xenforo sites and a wordpress running when I was experimenting and gone through upgrades flawlessly. After all the drama I went through earlier this year I believe my issues were solved by reducing my addons (I now run around 70. Still alot but way less than what I had before) and paying @MattW to block Baidu and help me out with the NGINX as reverse proxy. I don't think he himself uses that anymore. Later on when I have some money free I'll pay him again for optimization or we could try something else. I like experimenting hence why I had spoken to Facebook about HHVM but it looks like it isn't ready for a Xenforo site yet. Probably works okay for Wordpress installations though but I digress. Happy New Year dude and good luck with your move!

@DRE, thank you for the quick and honest response. I just purchased a SSD VPS from them this morning. Hopefully it goes well with my move which I will be doing manually since I am too OCD to let anyone else do it haha. I purchased their litespeed option too since I heard that works well with Xenforo. Should be fun and thanks again!

Last edited:
@DRE, thank you for the quick and honest response. I just purchased a SSD VPS from them this morning. Hopefully it goes well with my move which I will be doing manually since I am too OCD to let anyone else do it haha. I purchased their litespeed option too since I heard that works well with Xenforo. Should be fun and thanks again!
How has your experience been so far? I had a question today and created a support ticket. It was a simple question about an addon I will be installing and not only did he investigate and answer my question he also found an issue I had on my server that I caused myself a couple months ago and completely forgot about. Looks like either they stepped up their support or I just ended up getting a really good tech guy today.

My experience has been just awesome thus far and not a single problem. I bought their VPS 3 ssd package with litespeed and it runs amazingly fast. Support has also been super quick to respond and help with any question or issue. I am definitely glad I choose to go with them. I love how their own support forum runs Xenforo as well :) Thanks for the suggestion to go with them DRE!

Upgrading to Litespeed today. Looks like it will cost me $12 a month. If your wondering why I'm going from free NginxCP to paid Litespeed you can learn more about it here: https://mattwservices.co.uk/threads/great-service.61/
And this is basically why I left KH a while ago. When it comes to 3rd party services, they suck big time. My current host is doing EVERYTHING for me. Including going to the ACP and start investigating what's wrong with xCache (which is what I had few weeks ago with W3Total Cache and Wordpress). People just don't know any better, so they stick with crappy companies.
Anyway, I have Litespeed, and it works fine with xCache. I've also enabled PHP suEXEC and it works fine. Unlike on an Apache server (suPHP), enabling PHP suEXEC with Litespeed doesn't slow your server down.

If you are going to stick with Litespeed long enough, I would recommend purchasing a license and not leasing it.

Any of 'em is crappy compared to a dedicated server. :p
Not in my case. I had a dedicated server with Servstra that was absolutely nothing but problems and support was useless at actually answering the question of "Why?" to the problems; I am now much happier with an SSD VPS with KH.

Thats your opinion. Don't know you so it doesn't mean much to me but if you need help, check out these reviews.
It wasn't in a bad way, you know...
I'm just saying that you don't need to pay to a 3rd party to do these stuff for you. Your host should do it for you.

Any of 'em is crappy compared to a dedicated server. :p
That's right, but not everybody has the time for self learning on how to manage a server. I would love to do it one day though (in 2050 or so :) ).

Last edited:
That's right, but not everybody has the time for self learning on how to manage a server. I would love to do it one say though (in 2050 or so :) ).
Awwww... if you could do DOS or OS/2 (mainly from command line with REXX for running a multi-node FidoNet mailer/BBS) then it's easy. ;)

Not in my case. I had a dedicated server with Servstra that was absolutely nothing but problems and support was useless at actually answering the question of "Why?" to the problems; I am now much happier with an SSD VPS with KH.
I've been very pleased with the hosting company my servers are at. Anytime I've had a question I've gotten an almost immediate response. Problem is I keep trying to develop reasons to get yet ANOTHER server from them. :p

Top Bottom