Logging changes made to Xenforo install and Server configuration

Digital Doctor

when I deploy a new PC, I name it, and immediately start a text file on what I “do” to the PC. It helps to remember all the customizations and helps to troubleshoot things.
The file is stored on the server: PCname.Nov2023.install.notes.txt

I’d like to do the same for a new Xenforo install.

Does anyone do stuff like this for their server ? Their Xenforo install ?

I have a thread in a subforum that is only visible for admins and moderators that ist called "eternal logfile". Whenver I change something like install or upgrade a plugin, upgrade the forum software or do relevant config changes etc. I simple post what I did to the thread. This way the rest of the staff also knows what has changed. Obviously not helpful in case of a total crash of the forum through one of my changes but in this case I would probably and hopefully remember what I did.

Does anyone do stuff like this for their server ? Their Xenforo install ?
Yeah, I could write a book about this. Everything I work with professionally is placed in a ITSM workflow (eg., ServiceNow, Atlassian, etc.) system and nothing happens (changes) without documentation in the those systems. It's not about XF specifically, but anything that relates to IT infrastructure that supports a business. 90% or better of typical XF users/sites, probably have no use for something so complex, so I won't dig into this so deeply.

For smaller clients I'm working with, they each have an open [segregated] project on a small Redmine platform where they can raise issues/requests and track to closure. For a single small/medium site, I'd probably just break out some sort of Excel-based workbook where things can be documented.

The biggest issue I find with most people, is their lack of desire to document things that they don't feel is really important. Inevitably, someone changes something and they forgot what they changed or where it was... sometimes it's easier to find, sometimes it's not. Good documentation is always a good idea. (and also don't go screwing with things on a production stack unless you really know what you're doing... :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom