KnownHost Server Configuration?

Same as how you assumed I thought I was the only hosting company to ever exist ;) I wasn't assuming, Dre said they wouldn't accept his cPanel info, the same info he's given every other host he has had to move him but instead requiring his root information.

I looked at one of your sample sites mentioned in another post and it certainly is impressively fast: http://www.tafreehmella.com I've never seen a Xenforo site as quick as this. Instant action. What type of fine-tuning is this?

KnownHost does not have 64 Bit OS. Do not buy extra ram thinking you can go over 4GB of RAM because you can't. I actually thought I had 64 Bit OS when I first signed up with KnownHost but after some research I learned that not only that I don't have it, the host doesn't have it either. Here is the first error I ran into:

You are running in a 32-bit architecture (or PHP was compiled for 32-bit) which in turn makes the ip2long version return an unsigned integer, and that is why you are getting that error.

I'll provide a fix on the next version, in the meantime, just open library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/BlogView.php

Find
Code:
  protected function getIpAddress()
   {
     $ipAddress = (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : false);
     $ipAddress = (is_string($ipAddress) && strpos($ipAddress, '.')) ? ip2long($ipAddress) : false; 
     return $ipAddress ? $ipAddress : 0;
   }

Replace with:
Code:
  protected function getIpAddress()
   {
     $ipAddress = (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : false);
     $ipAddress = (is_string($ipAddress) && strpos($ipAddress, '.')) ? ip2long($ipAddress) : false;
     $ipAddress = sprintf('%u', $ipAddress);   // in 32-bit architecture this would be negative
     return $ipAddress > 0 ? $ipAddress : 0;
   }

Reactions: DRE
Well damn.
I've no idea why they don't offer 64bit OS. I'm testing a 512MB DigitalOcean droplet at the minute, and even that is running 64bit CentOS (and they give you the option to use it). I can only assume it's because they are "Fully Managed" and they want to standardise their management offering.

Reactions: DRE
I've no idea why they don't offer 64bit OS. I'm testing a 512MB DigitalOcean droplet at the minute, and even that is running 64bit CentOS (and they give you the option to use it). I can only assume it's because they are "Fully Managed" and they want to standardise their management offering.
Phbblttt.... I like RamNode's setup if you are into a VPS. The only downfall is the biggest "standard" one that they offer is 4GB. If you go to WHT you can grab a 30% lifetime discount code for them. It applies even if you upgrade/downgrade the VPS.

How much of a difference in performance would you see with a 64 vs a 32?

How much of a difference in performance would you see with a 64 vs a 32?
For a small site, not a lot. But if you are paying for > 4GB memory, you want to be able to use it all. For example, you can't allocate more than 2GB RAM to MySQL on 32bit OS.

Or if you are using nginx and just want to block Baidu, Yandex, etc then you can do
Code:
    if ($http_user_agent ~* (Baiduspider|Yandex) ) {
        return 444;
    }
in your nginx site definition.
bots are visiting forums without useragents and posing as guests so that might not work.

bots are visiting forums without useragents and posing as guests so that might not work.
Yep... but Baidu does normally use a user agent, and since none of my sites are targeted there it fits the bill. Still works for any user agent that they do use (as long as you put it in the segment).

You can check it here:)
http://user-agent-string.info/list-of-ua/bot-detail?bot=Baiduspider

Lot of IP's with no user agents for Baidu

but I agree htaccess is the right way to go about it
That's why I said "normallly". Totally blocking all of them would need to be done via the iptables for the most effective method - but then you have to constantly keep up with the changing IP's. In addition to blocking the bots, you can also block woot-woot and other stuff that is placed in the user agent.

I migrated from a KnownHost VPS (California) to SSD (Texas).

I didn't have to do ANY file transfers. They moved it all for me. The only things I had to restore myself was the MySQL databases (easy with bigdump). It was very easy and I have always been extremely happy with Knownhost.

I am on an SSD-4... which is probably way more than my website needs... but my community suffers from periodic spikes in traffic, so I wanted the SSD-4 to handle those rare situations.

http://8wayrun.com/

Top Bottom