It's 2015 and I have a new project to launch, should I wait for 2.0?

imthebest

Considering that the upgrade to 2.0 will break everything (from add-ons to custom themes), should I wait for 2.0 and then launch my new project?

My new project will require XenForo Media Gallery, XenForo Elastic Search, Brogan's Featured Threads and xfrocks's Widget Framework (just to mention the "biggest" add-ons).

What should I do?

Considering that the upgrade to 2.0 will break everything (from add-ons to custom themes), should I wait for 2.0 and then launch my new project?

My new project will require XenForo Media Gallery, XenForo Elastic Search, Brogan's Featured Threads and xfrocks's Widget Framework (just to mention the "biggest" add-ons).

What should I do?

There is no ETA on 2.0. You could be waiting a week or 10 years.

If you really want to begin your project, you should do it now I suppose.

1.x is still awesome and very, very mature now. It isn't going anywhere, either - if you have everything you need now, I'd say go for it. I'm sure you'll be able to migrate down the line if you wish :)

If I were you I may start with a basic forum now, build a membership and then invest into custom works. By then, 2.0 may be out and I'll know whether investing further is a good thing or not.

Last edited:
I recommend waiting for 1.0 redux.
It's supposed to be an extremely limited edition and is going be hard to get your hands on.

What should I do?
I wouldn't wait. I'd do it now and get used to the current version of XF.

• You would be up and running sooner
  • getting used to XF's features now
  • upgrades for my XF system have been very easy to handle and I suspect they will continue to be so.

There's always going to be something better. Start now and get used to everything. Plus, it gives you plenty of time to mess up and default back to the install until 2.0 rolls around. Your members, OTOH, may be a bit peeved.

I cant see 2.0 being released in the next six months, not if they are going to step back and start again. Though the programmers are top notch, you really can't discount a few false starts, plus their will have to a dev release phase to allow add-on developers time to adapt their wares. I just think the end of the year is the earliest that a stable 2 will be going.

Top Bottom