1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's 2015 and I have a new project to launch, should I wait for 2.0?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by imthebest, Jan 3, 2015.

  1. imthebest

    imthebest Formerly Super120

    Considering that the upgrade to 2.0 will break everything (from add-ons to custom themes), should I wait for 2.0 and then launch my new project?

    My new project will require XenForo Media Gallery, XenForo Elastic Search, Brogan's Featured Threads and xfrocks's Widget Framework (just to mention the "biggest" add-ons).

    What should I do?
    51463 likes this.
  2. The Dark Wizard

    The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

    There is no ETA on 2.0. You could be waiting a week or 10 years.

    If you really want to begin your project, you should do it now I suppose.
    euantor, rafass, Enguerran A and 2 others like this.
  3. Teapot

    Teapot Well-Known Member

    1.x is still awesome and very, very mature now. It isn't going anywhere, either - if you have everything you need now, I'd say go for it. I'm sure you'll be able to migrate down the line if you wish :)
  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Well-Known Member

    Since you are the self-proclaimed prediction master, you should know when it will be released, making your decision easier.
  5. Solidus

    Solidus Well-Known Member

    There will of course be an upgrade path to 2.0, so now.
    Jeffin likes this.
  6. Jeffin

    Jeffin Well-Known Member

    If I were you I may start with a basic forum now, build a membership and then invest into custom works. By then, 2.0 may be out and I'll know whether investing further is a good thing or not.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. thedude

    thedude Well-Known Member

    Start now
  8. Digital Doctor

    Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

    If you have the time, do it now :)
  9. Digital Doctor

    Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

    I might not spend much money on a custom style until 2.0.
    or ask the styler to guarantee it works with 2.0
  10. SneakyDave

    SneakyDave Well-Known Member

    Word on the street is that XenForo 2.0 will be skipped, and they'll go right to XenForo 3.0, just like Volume 1 and Volume 3 of the Traveling Wilburys.
    Enguerran A and Mike Edge like this.
  11. imthebest

    imthebest Formerly Super120

    @SneakyDave hey you the guy of the predictions is me and only me! :mad:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    51463 likes this.
  12. rafass

    rafass Well-Known Member

    do it now!
  13. Tracy Perry

    Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

    I recommend waiting for 1.0 redux.
    It's supposed to be an extremely limited edition and is going be hard to get your hands on.
  14. Sheratan

    Sheratan Well-Known Member

    I thought the name is "XenForo 1.0 Alpha 0.1"

    It was really limited edition, with a copy of KAM autograph.
    batpool52! likes this.
  15. wedgar

    wedgar Well-Known Member

    I wouldn't wait. I'd do it now and get used to the current version of XF.

    • You would be up and running sooner
    • getting used to XF's features now
    • upgrades for my XF system have been very easy to handle and I suspect they will continue to be so.
  16. Reeve of Shinra

    Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

    I would start now.
  17. OSS 117

    OSS 117 Well-Known Member

    There's always going to be something better. Start now and get used to everything. Plus, it gives you plenty of time to mess up and default back to the install until 2.0 rolls around. Your members, OTOH, may be a bit peeved.
  18. Jim Boy

    Jim Boy Well-Known Member

    I cant see 2.0 being released in the next six months, not if they are going to step back and start again. Though the programmers are top notch, you really can't discount a few false starts, plus their will have to a dev release phase to allow add-on developers time to adapt their wares. I just think the end of the year is the earliest that a stable 2 will be going.
    Daniel Hood likes this.

Share This Page