iPhone 5

You need to understand this. Apple just didn't want to "copy" the S3 :)

Seriously, it's a decent upgrade, but not more. I've never had an iPhone and probably never will, but I know the devices well enough, because a lot of people i know are using them. I must admit, design-wise, I like them more than the Samsung or HTC devices I've been using over the last few years but what I absolutely dislike with a passion is Apple's control freak mentality. Not implying Google is so much better in this regard, but as a matter of fact, Android devices still give you so much more freedom.

I find it a bit amusing to read all the whining about the missing "Wow" factor in the 5. Ask anyone of the complainers what would define this wow factor for them. I bet, there won't be that many useful answers :)
I think people are just expecting it to be like a breakthrough in technology, something that the digital age is far too accustomed to. Anyways, have you seen this? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-5...-people-into-believing-iphone-4s-is-iphone-5/ LOL!

I think people are just expecting it to be like a breakthrough in technology, something that the digital age is far too accustomed to. Anyways, have you seen this? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-5...-people-into-believing-iphone-4s-is-iphone-5/ LOL!
That's typical for the average clueless mainstream customer. They just follow the herd and believe what they are told by (equally clueless) friends or what media tells them, not knowing how often and cleverly they get fooled by the industry :)

Smartphones are no longer giving us wow factors. That's over. What now follows is a phase of steady evolution. Decades ago, the first personal computers gave us the same "Wow" factor, while today, a new PC or laptop is usually just an improvement over the old one.

I remember when I installed my first 3d video card (a 3dfx Voodo-something in the late 90's) that enabled me to play games like Quake or Unreal in high resolution (well, high res meant 640 x 400 back then :) ), with filtered (= non pixelated) textures, anti-aliasing and smooth frame rates. Well, *that* was a wow factor I'll never forget. Everything that came after was just constant and steady evolution.

I'll upgrade to the 5 because there is a huge difference between the 4 and 5. Massive processor and performance difference between the two. Not sure what it is between 4s and 5, but my step-son has a 4s and its video, pictures, gaming, functioning in general, craps all over the 4. A 12 month old phone is ancient technology nowadays... the 4 is older than that. The 5 will really link in well with us, being all mac. Free video calling, messages, the lot, between system and phone, phone to phone, etc. Sweet.

I need to upgrade but I'm worried about the loss of google maps. I may decide to try something else.
The maps app is not lost. It's just missing two features, one is Google Streetview and I can't remember what the other one is. But the 3D view of maps app is still cool.

The maps app is not lost. It's just missing two features, one is Google Streetview and I can't remember what the other one is. But the 3D view of maps app is still cool.
You're right, there will still be a maps app. Google Maps is being replaced by the inferior Apple Maps. I've decided to wait on the iphone5 until I know if Apple is going to allow Google to offer a maps app.

Ordered a white, 64 GB model to replace my black, 32 GB iPhone 4. I was going to get black again, but I looked at the white and actually thought it looked a little nicer, at least on the back. Anyway, should hopefully come on Friday, that's what my e-mail order says.

You're right, there will still be a maps app. Google Maps is being replaced by the inferior Apple Maps. I've decided to wait on the iphone5 until I know if Apple is going to allow Google to offer a maps app.
Of course I'm right I work for em lol.

and I don't own any Apple products myself though. I just started and I'm kinda enjoying the flexibility of my samsung.

BUT They loaned me an iPod Touch and it felt like I broke up with my Ex-GF after I had to give it back.

I have been beta testing IOS6 for several months. Apple's map app is functionally superior to the Google Map App.

Apple's new app provides turn by turn directions, which voice and visual cues, like showing you the intersection and the properly lane from which to make your turn. Lets say you have 30 miles to go before you're next turn. You decide to make a quick phone call to your soon to be ex-wife which turns out to be neither quick nor pleasant...

in 29 miles, a reminder bar will appear letting you know your turn is coming up. You can switch back to the Map appand pick up your trip, in progress. Big improvement over Google Maps follow the blue dot.

Forget the 'WOW' factor, forget the hype, forget anything resembling a this vs that conversation...

I only have one series of questions....would I be buying this phone only to find out that I can't use my dominant hand to hold my phone...and when I go to a store or call to find out why...instead of being told it was a design failure which it was...is someone going to tell me I have a 'deathgrip' and insinuate that I do not know how to hold a phone and assure me that I am the problem with a piece of communication hardware?

Is that fixed now...or do I still have a 'deathgrip' issue simply because I am left hand dominant. I seriously want to know before I even qualify this as a potential purchase.

I have been beta testing IOS6 for several months. Apple's map app is functionally superior to the Google Map App.

Apple's new app provides turn by turn directions, which voice and visual cues, like showing you the intersection and the properly lane from which to make your turn. Lets say you have 30 miles to go before you're next turn. You decide to make a quick phone call to your soon to be ex-wife which turns out to be neither quick nor pleasant...

in 29 miles, a reminder bar will appear letting you know your turn is coming up. You can switch back to the Map appand pick up your trip, in progress. Big improvement over Google Maps follow the blue dot.
My girlfriend is a beta tester and I've been playing with it for a few weeks. We will just have to disagree on our preference of map applications. If you visit most of the apple forums you will see a majority of people agree with me. Those of you who have become dependent on google maps might be very disappointed by the iphone 5.

Forget the 'WOW' factor, forget the hype, forget anything resembling a this vs that conversation...

I only have one series of questions....would I be buying this phone only to find out that I can't use my dominant hand to hold my phone...and when I go to a store or call to find out why...instead of being told it was a design failure which it was...is someone going to tell me I have a 'deathgrip' and insinuate that I do not know how to hold a phone and assure me that I am the problem with a piece of communication hardware?

Is that fixed now...or do I still have a 'deathgrip' issue simply because I am left hand dominant. I seriously want to know before I even qualify this as a potential purchase.
It was already fixed in 4S: http://gizmodo.com/5849921/iphone-4s-test-notes-no-more-death-grip

I didn't know that....when I was insulted by their explanation (basically they said I the customer was at fault anatomically for their hardware layout failure) before and I must admit I stopped buying apple products period. Maybe if they admitted that they caused the problem on their own site in the first place and thus opened up a reason to bring up a fix when they did fix it and basically not look like liars I would have known that instead of finding out from you via a link from a third party site which I do thank you for but all the same that was negligence on their part which allowed you to be the one to inform me which again I thank you for. I have the phone call recorded and listen to it when I am showing people who tell me they are going to buy an iphone as I explain why I have stopped supporting the iphone like I used to in hopes that they don't waste their money.

We must be using two different apps. The new map app has pretty much universally been regarded as an inferior product. I'm actually surprised they're going to push this out to their customers. It's basically a downgrade from Google Maps.

The 3D flyovers of landmarks look nice, but they don't really help me in my day to day life. I travel from LA to NYC quite a bit for work. The subway is part of the life blood of NYC, and not being able to navigate from A -> B using maps is a major loss (e.g., no in app transit directions).

I also need correct search results. Normal situational example: I'm in a neighborhood, let's say Fort Greene, and I'm meeting a friend for dinner at a restaurant I've never heard of in East Village. Well, first I need to be able to find it by searching for it in maps -- this largely no longer works. I often get results that are totally incorrect, or it'll find the correct establishment (as evidenced by Yelp reviews) but drops a pin in the wrong part of town (or even state!). I've reported many incorrect listings over the past couple of months.

If you don't actively live in a major city, I think it might be hard to realize how significant losing transit directions is, not to mention useful location search.

A lot of what you've mentioned exists in Android's Google Maps app, which I've resorted to using when traveling, or using Google Maps from the browser on my phone. I seriously hope the new map app is MUCH more polished when released, or, even better, they allow Google to release their own app.

Top Bottom