Internet Speed

Going from your computer to the internet is not your downstream, but upstream.

You have 50 Mbit upstream too? Impressive :)

In the Netherlands we only have 120 Mbit downstream and 10 Mbit upstream with our cable provider. (upc.nl)

Going from your computer to the internet is not your downstream, but upstream.

You have 50 Mbit upstream too? Impressive :)

In the Netherlands we only have 120 Mbit downstream and 10 Mbit upstream with our cable provider. (upc.nl)

No it is 50MBs down 5MBs up. Though again editing a file that is a few KB - 1MB still only takes the latency time really... So it is hardly noticeable, and using solely SSH + SFTP over a VPN is much more secure than basic FTP.

I hope you enjoy knowing that your Internet is 10x faster than mine, at probably half the price. America's network sucks. :mad:
cause you don't know the italian situation ... right now i've a 1,1MB download w/0,5MB upload ... and pay 30€ per month. no words about it.

cause you don't know the italian situation ... right now i've a 1,1MB download w/0,5MB upload ... and pay 30€ per month. no words about it.
No flatrate??????????????????????????????????
You must call to Mr. Berlusconi :D

America's network is -much- better then most countries.

ISP's just nickel and dime their customers.
No, it's not. Why is the fastest service offered only around 50mb/s? It's not because ISP's are just holding back on us. ISPs are starting to implement things like download caps and limiting bandwidth-heavy traffic not because they want to piss customers off, but because the networks are strained and they would rather limit the activity on the network than spend money upgrading it. :)

Sure? ... the most, best, stable and fasted you will find in Finland and Switzerland. :cool:

Never said it was the 'most, best, stable and fasted' you can find, however it is one of the best (Excluding ISP's that are ripping off customers).

No, it's not. Why is the fastest service offered only around 50mb/s? It's not because ISP's are just holding back on us. ISPs are starting to implement things like download caps and limiting bandwidth-heavy traffic not because they want to piss customers off, but because the networks are strained and they would rather limit the activity on the network than spend money upgrading it. :)

'ISP's just nickle and dime their customers'.

And the networks aren't that strained, thats just something a lot of the different ISP's claim to make more money. There is also the fact that most ISP's don't do anything to renovate their networks, which basically causes most user issues.

Three examples of this are:

AT&T and their lower-quality service after 2002-2005. 
Time Warners recent issues relating to their network and multiple issues in different areas of the country.
Verizon holding out on extending their FiOS service.

First case was because AT&T held a large portion of contracts, and didn't continue in expanding their service and making sure their network stable.

The second case with Time Warner is them doing poor maintenance and not investing much into the care of their network (Mom has Time Warner, and I've complained about issues, most of which seemed to be caused by poorly trained techs who know nothing of what they should do).

Third case regarding Verizon is pretty annoying, as they're basically waiting for an investment from the government (Which they had already gotten one).

You can also buy more then 50mb, however you usually have to be a busy. You can also buy a contract from a datacenter, or a bandwidth provider itself, but that is often more expensive, but is much more stable.

And the networks aren't that strained, thats just something a lot of the different ISP's claim to make more money.
Do you have any data to support this?
There is also the fact that most ISP's don't do anything to renovate their networks, which basically causes most user issues.
That's exactly my point. The network sucks, and the ISP's don't want to pay to upgrade it. Just because the ISP's are at fault doesn't mean "the network is fine, the ISP's are just nickel-and-diming." No, the ISP's control the network. The ISP's are the network. :)

An ISP is just a customer .. they are not the network. They run their own network, just how you run your modem/router/computers at home. They just do it grande.

An ISP is just a customer .. they are not the network. They run their own network, just how you run your modem/router/computers at home. They just do it grande.
I guess what I was trying to say is that the ISP's manage/build/upgrade the networks, so if the ISP's suck, the networks suck (usually). :)

There are two types of ISP here in the UK... The ones that use BT's lines would be true because BT run the networks and everyone else uses it, but the other network type IE virgin media (only real cable network here) run their own network and manage it so have full control over it...

Since I joined virgin media (or NTL as it was at the time) I have gone from 10MBs -> 50MBs for no additional cost...

I guess what I was trying to say is that the ISP's manage/build/upgrade the networks, so if the ISP's suck, the networks suck (usually). :)
They usually manage and upgrade on networks, but they don't completely own their own network.

Just as there is with a lot of other networks, they all borrow from one another as well. Most of the backbone is laid by the larger bandwidth providers. 

50MBs down, 5MBs up. :)
We could go up to 100MBs down and 10MBs up but that would double our monthly costs.

I'm loving this fiberglass thing, we have digital TV and 6 phone lines going through it. :)

My ISP runs their own network in parts of my hometown. Took them quite some time to get their cables in the ground but it was worth it. They even gave me a job after I hacked their website to publish information about their plans just before they informed the press. :D

Aren't a lot of cable companies now upping their speed? I know mine went from 8mbit to 108mbit in 6 months time. They say that 100mbit is going to be the norm for everyone in 3 years time.

I waited long enough for it, and i love it now. :)

Top Bottom