Samsung Internet Browser Cursor Jumps

hIBEES

Affected version
v2.2.11
From a user...

When writing a reply the cursor is jumping all over the place and line breaks are are happening almost constantly.

I couldn't replicate the problem on chrome and wondered what he was on about, until he said Samsung Browser and I went and tried it on SI and he's right.

It happened to me here as well. Chrome is fine..

Seeing the same from 1 member on my forum. He said he's seeing the same issue but in Chrome on an S22:

When trying to type from my Mobile, the cursor jumps back 10 letters, or jumps forward a few paragraphs.

Question: Is it the browser or keyboard? Is the same keyboard (Samsung, GBoard, whatever) being used in all those cases? Something to consider besides browser.

I use a Galaxy S20 FE 5G with Chrome and GBoard and have never seen this happen. I have a couple little quirks that are already documented elsewhere on here, but nothing like this thread describes. That's why I am wondering about the keyboard. I have never liked the Samsung Keyboard and one of the first things I do on a new Samsung device is switch to GBoard.

Question: Is it the browser or keyboard? Is the same keyboard (Samsung, GBoard, whatever) being used in all those cases? Something to consider besides browser.

I use a Galaxy S20 FE 5G with Chrome and GBoard and have never seen this happen. I have a couple little quirks that are already documented elsewhere on here, but nothing like this thread describes. That's why I am wondering about the keyboard. I have never liked the Samsung Keyboard and one of the first things I do on a new Samsung device is switch to GBoard.

That's why you don't see it happen.

I was the same and couldn't understand why so many members were reporting it - the issue is when using the default Samsung internet browser.

In other words.. yet another browser issue.

It probably is, but when a huge proportion of our users are accessing the forum using Samsung devices and they are accessing other websites and forums without issue they perceive it as a problem of our making. We have had many "browser" issues since Xenforo switched to using froala as the editor and it was far more stable before that.

Froala proudly list Samsung as one of their customers which adds insult to injury.

Xenforo is currently shipping with v4.0.14 of froala and froala is currently at v4.0.16 - I haven't investigated to see what has changed between those versions.

Also getting reports of lots of spaces being introduced into the editor when using the Samsung browser. Probably the same issue.
Samsung Internet is the 5th most used browser for us. 31,840 users in the last 28 days, so it's a significant problem.

Xenforo is currently shipping with v4.0.14 of froala and froala is currently at v4.0.16 - I haven't investigated to see what has changed between those versions.

There have been a number of changes including one in version 4.0.14 that renders iOS to all intents and purposes, unusable.

In other words.. yet another browser issue.

Probably not. It's more likely to be another issue with the Froala editor which in my view does not meet the standards required from a paid product. If an editor exhibits multiple bugs in multiple browsers the chances are it's the editor that's at fault.

Like others in this thread, I've been receiving reports of this or similar bugs on Samsung devices, something I can't replicate because I don't own the device. In my experience Froala doesn't play particularly well on mobiles so that's where I would be looking as far as this bug is concerned.

Hi. New member. I was trying to find a solution for this problem and it led me here. I have reported this to Samsung numerous times. To clarify, i see this issue when I use Samsung Internet or Brave with Samsung Keyboard, but not when I use SI with gboard, nor when I use Chrome with SK. My devices are S22U and Tab S7+.

Top Bottom